🔧 BUILD Vogel’s 2008 E61 BMW 535xi

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Well, turns out I have a problem. Car is really happy on MHD 2+ E40. I started on a custom tune, but can’t get past 22psi since now I’m out of fuel pump. I doubt I’ll have time between now and the track day to remedy that AND retune the car. Car is a ROCKET with my custom tune, but I go lean on 2 cylinders and start getting misfires at the top of each gear, even spraying a heavier meth mix

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I forget you don't have port injection kit, correct? Would you do that or go with one of the pump overdrive units?

Also, sold my 335i a few weeks ago. An offer I couldn't pass up. lol. But I have the Precision Raceworks coil conversion new in the box. I could give you a great deal on it if you're interested.
Pressure Ratio Pressure Ratio WUUUT? No more wastegate rattling in your ears? What's you daily driving now?

• Haha
Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Pressure Ratio Pressure Ratio WUUUT? No more wastegate rattling in your ears? What's you daily driving now?
It was either go the route of buy turbos, port injection, and more orrrrr sell it for good money and focus on the 911 project. Maybe go a little further with that.

I bought the new El Camino. (aka Santa Cruz lol)

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Also, the wastegate rattle didn't bother me in the least. It made all the boost it was commanded, I was fine. :geek:
You must be def or I am OCD. I had one 335 with wastegate rattle and I wanted to bang my head everytime I drove it!!! Then again I am very sound sensitive. And go project 911 Turbo!!!!

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
You must be def or I am OCD. I had one 335 with wastegate rattle and I wanted to bang my head everytime I drove it!!! Then again I am very sound sensitive. And go project 911 Turbo!!!!
I mean, with the windows down it wasn't loud but very noticeable when decelerating. Radio on and you didn't really hear it. Windows up I couldn't hear it at all. Maybe it wasn't as bad as others have?
You bought a chic truck?? How you like it?
haha I really like it. It has done all the truck things I needed it to do so far. It has a nice interior and handles very well. It is definitely sporty like a big sedan. After my first scheduled oil change at the dealer, it'll get the JB4 tune as well.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I’ll run it at the track with MHD, it’s like a minute and a half to flash the car.

I’m going to flash/code the ekpm withe Brazil e100 variant and see if it helps. My lpfp is dropping to 49psi, and hpfp is dropping to 900.

I’ll also be drilling the rail, and removing the hpfp screen.

If none of that helps, I’ll have a fire sale and build funds to add port

Reactions: Pressure Ratio

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I haven't read this whole thread, but have you considered any of the HPFP overdrive units?
Yes, but I don’t think I need it…and I’d rather do PI for reliability. Last night I was rolling through my logs, seems like I better start at the LPFP. I have a few ideas I’m going to try before I replace it (which seems like a lame way of fixing a problem inherent to a PWM controlled pump)

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Ok, got into some tuning stuff tonight. Playing with lambda. Pulled a sample from the tank, and low and behold I had e20 in there. Also had way too much fuel scalar…probably because I was screaming my stock heat pumps. Was able to get some headroom on the fueling. Hit a bit of a wall at 5800 rpm. I get a drop in boost and it trails down to 20psi at redline. I’m going to try and squeeze some more out of it, but I suspect that I need more exhaust now. Exhaust is 3”dp then necks down to 2.5 on each bank, then merges to 3.5, then splits again to 2.25” mufflers. Not great.

Oh, and I’m building a boost a pump for the car! Probably won’t be ready until summer, but would like to run a heavier e mix and go for 30psi.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
The tuning has me pulling my hair out.

Anything over an e40 mix and HPFP drops to 900psi in first. However, 25psi is no problem on an e40 mix with my meth system.

The thing I was really pounding my head against the wall about is that between 5500-5800 RPM boost drops from 25 to 20 and stays there to redline. I’ve tried everything to keep boost riding out. Keeping timing low, increasing air adders/base WGDC, vanos. Nothing worked.

Turns out my rear turbo inlet is collapsing…

So I threw the OTS tune until I hard pipe it

You can see from this scan that WGDC spikes right as boost drops ( my tmap only sees up to 22.9 psi in case you were wondering)

8CBA25DE-E5D7-4691-814B-C50A4E5CE4FD.png

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I’m going to have to do some dragy runs this weekend. I can’t believe I got this tune to behave so well. 27psi, 11.5 degrees of timing, WGDC only hitting mid 50’s, stable AFR…HPFP only dropping to 1500. Car books. If it’s not over 600hp, it’s real close! The max calculated MAF the DME is capped at is 568, hits it just before redline, so I might pull the shifts back to 6400

2487539D-1E81-4A83-B76F-8AA9EEA6F0B9.png

Thread Info