🔧 BUILD Vogel’s 2008 E61 BMW 535xi

kmastl

Mar 16, 2011
I've done turbos twice on my RWD E60. First time without dropping the subframe and the second with. Even with having to mess with the dynamic drive hydraulic hoses I recommend dropping. Leaves more room for activities.
516608256.jpeg

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
No, kinda fucked off the last 2 days. I’m motivated today and getting a lot done today. Front turbo is all hooked up, water pump is back in. I’m taking a lunch break, then hanging the rear turbo…that should go pretty easy. My hands are pretty sliced up.

View attachment 117482
No excuses your vacation is almost over! :LOL:

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I got it running, but it’s pissing oil. Pretty devistating, but kind of a mixed blessing. I think I can get it without major surgery. Front turbo oil drain is leaking at the flange. Looks like I might have used a long bolt, or didn’t completely tighten it. Think I can access it if I pull the water pump, currently draining coolant

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Yeah

I really didn’t want to do them but quotes for replacement were $6 and most of it was labor.
I enjoy wrenching and all but this far more time and dedication then I would put into my car. And yep it's pricey. Think when I had the turbos done on my car years ago just labor was 2k. But you also have to value how much your time and vacation is worth . So it's all a wash other than having that satisfaction. Can't wait to see this running Ron Vogel Ron Vogel

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
It’s running and no longer leaking. Got up early to go and pick up coolant this morning. Water pump was a pain in the ass, outlets were a pain in the ass. So much easier when there’s room. Car is still on Jack stands, after lunch I’m going to wipe down the under carriage and put the covers back on. Then try and enjoy the few hours of vacation I have left

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Got it all together. Went for a spin around the block, pulled back in the driveway to cinch up the lug nuts and check for leaks. Everything was good, went back out a little longer and came back and parked it. Had to get gas anyway, so went on a bit longer drive. Got into boost a little. Engine/turbos do sound a bit different. After 10 or so miles took a few quick hits. Running MHD v5 stg2 e40. So boost only hitting 22psi. Feels a little faster than my kill tune at 28psi…so that’s promising. Spool limits the kick you in the seat feel of the stock turbos. Going to start working on the tune this week, these MHD tunes are way rich.

Thread Info