VFN fiberglass hoods, yay or nay?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I have a VFN WS6 hood on my car. It's not OEM fitment, that's for sure. The front outside edges sit higher than the fenders while the rest of the hood is flush with the fenders, and there are larger seams than stock. I had VFN install and align the hood too before it was painted. It's a good 10-footer (looks good from 10 feet) but when you're up close you can easily tell it's not a factory piece.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Had their Chally hood on my Charger, awesome quality. My painter was so impressed with it he bought himself a hood for one of his toys. I agree with Cap42 about the owners, I do also know them. They take pride in their product and have awesome customer service. For some reason my painter couldnt get one side lined up correctly, called them up they said to swing by. They had it adjusted and sitting perfect in 10 minutes. I know a ton of people on the Dodge/Mopar forums that have also bought VFN hoods and all very happy.

94ta383

Regular
Feb 13, 2011
Cortland, IL
Here are the hoods i had from VFN, on my 94 it was the 4in. pin on to the windshield and on my 02 it was their WSQ hood so you can see the fitment.

Attachments

• 0772.jpg
    0772.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 321
  • 1592.jpg
    1592.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 323

frosty23_45

Broke Dodge owner
Feb 12, 2008
Coal City, IL
Look's like it's reinforced pretty good, so just run it with the factory latch. No pin's or Zeus needed unless it's a thin one. Went 8.30's in the 1/4 without hood pins on a stock latch with fiberglass.
Good to hear. I already bought a set, but if I don't need them one less thing to worry about cracking the paint. It's pretty stiff.

Anyone else?

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I had a 2000 R hood made by the same manufacturer that did it for ford. I ran it for a few years without pins, fitment was perfect and it was strong and sturdy and even had a metal clasp for the hood latch. Then one day the hood just decided to come up, luckily I wasn't going to fast and was able to stop before it flipped up and took out my roof. I bit the bullet and put pins in the next week.

I've seen alot of good quality fiberglass and CF hoods come loose and destroy windshields and roofs. I hate the look of hood pins but honestly I'd rather have the piece of mind.

frosty23_45

Broke Dodge owner
Feb 12, 2008
Coal City, IL
I had a 2000 R hood made by the same manufacturer that did it for ford. I ran it for a few years without pins, fitment was perfect and it was strong and sturdy and even had a metal clasp for the hood latch. Then one day the hood just decided to come up, luckily I wasn't going to fast and was able to stop before it flipped up and took out my roof. I bit the bullet and put pins in the next week.

I've seen alot of good quality fiberglass and CF hoods come loose and destroy windshields and roofs. I hate the look of hood pins but honestly I'd rather have the piece of mind.
Right, I bought a set, just dunno if I want to try to install them. Might have the body guy look at it when I take it to get painted.

frosty23_45

Broke Dodge owner
Feb 12, 2008
Coal City, IL
Never put pins on mine and never had an issue.
What Mr SBF said is all you need to hear, lol.
Ask VFN what hood strut they recommend, iirc you want a lighter (less psi) hood strut.
The factory struts are too strong and might warp the hood over time.
Right, mine are really worn out, barely hold the stock hood up, lol. So I'll prob be ok there

M

Maddawg...

Really been thinking about getting a different hood for the Magnum. VFN has a fiberglass AAR Cuda style one I really like.

Anyone have or had a VFN fiberglass hood? How much work was involved with fitment? How good was the quality? Any cracking or other issues to worry about?

Any info is appreciated.
Hood needs to be finished, just got my Sunoco style hood for 96 z28. Al9t of fiberglass hairs in places where in frame and outer hood are joined. Had to do a lot of fileing and sanding to clean this up. Then trowled in two (2) 3M "B kits" epoxy to level inner framework with underside of hood, end product is VERY NICE and way more ridged and much stronger. Nice thing about glass, you can fill and sand with good epoxy until you achieve the product you want. If your looking for bolt and go stay with stock.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info