Vehicle Security Options, Alarms, GPS, etc.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
If the thief has an iphone it will alert them that one is near by. They might find one of them but highly doubt they will find all 4 lol.
Thats kinda my thought process. They will get the alert, but will they find one, maybe 2, but not all of them at least in a very short period of time. If anything they may only think they found the 1 and that's it but in reality it's infested with those stupid quarter sized trackers. Not a perfect solution and not without it's pitfalls but better than nothing and something I can access rather quickly via my phone or get notified if the car starts moving

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Insurance jobs arent as easy as they used to be, technology ruined the fun in those lol. These MFers investigate the shit out of them now a days, they can tell you how the car was started last. Meaning if the key was used lol. Better off paying someone to carjack you and have the destroy the car.
No, no, not for insurance. For personal use. We'll get your guy to swap vin tags and get me a nice new paint job.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Thats kinda my thought process. They will get the alert, but will they find one, maybe 2, but not all of them at least in a very short period of time. If anything they may only think they found the 1 and that's it but in reality it's infested with those stupid quarter sized trackers. Not a perfect solution and not without it's pitfalls but better than nothing and something I can access rather quickly via my phone or get notified if the car starts moving

Will I had never seen those trackers in person till my co worker pulled her bronco sport in the shop to have the windshield replaced. She could not find her keys she was panicking and she is like shit I have a Apple locater on my keys she opens the app and it could not find the keys and the car being in the shop maybe 50ft away. While the keys were between the console and passenger seat. The car and keys were not even deep in the shop it was by the detail section. If a car gets stolen I’m sure it’s going to a chop shop most likely, so the apple thingy most likely will not work.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
get me a nice new paint job.
Dont You Dare The Office GIF by hero0fwar

• Haha
Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Okay then maybe it is true lol

I have a few friends who do alarms for a living including the dude who did shit work on my sounds. Talking to them and picking their brains thru out the years, most alarms are the same shit. Probably all made at the same factory just branded differently. Yes the more expensive ones probably have better remotes and hardware per say. I'll touch on a few points below

Yes you can override the clutch and add remote start, but I wouldnt lol.

If they want your car bad enough, they will get it. An alarm isnt going to stop people, will it slow them down, maybe, maybe not.
Tow truck, no fucking way will it slow them down lol.

Is battery backup needed, not imo for the reason I stated above. I had a battery backup siren on one of my cars and never needed it lol.
Guys used to crawl underneath and cut the power to the car or even going way back, they pulled your parking light, touched the terminals with a screw driver and shorted the car out. That would trigger the backup battery siren.

I would go with an alarm with all the features you want and add the "Drone" most if not all alarm shops can do it. I have it and I love it. It sends alerts to my phone fast af. So if someone does snatch it with a tow truck, I'll be on their ass within minutes if not seconds. Can setup maintenance alerts, tells you when your door/trunk is open, battery is low, temp in the car etc. I can control everything from my phone from Mexico if needed lol. I pay a yearly subscription for it as well, and worth every penny!

Dont tint the windows if your planning on re-doing your interior. Let that shit be seen, I'm not a fan of tinting older cars when the interior is re-done. Just my .02.
So it looks like I will need to find a shop to have them install that Drone device, is that correct?

Was kind of hoping to wire it in while rewiring the car, but I guess I could wait until the car is done then take it in for the alarm and drone to be installed, just thought it might be easier while the car is completely apart.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Illinois based company if you want a "true gps tracking" dedicated device kind of deal.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So it looks like I will need to find a shop to have them install that Drone device, is that correct?

Was kind of hoping to wire it in while rewiring the car, but I guess I could wait until the car is done then take it in for the alarm and drone to be installed, just thought it might be easier while the car is completely apart.
You need an alarm with all the features you want and add the drone on to the alarm.
As far as re-wiring the car, are you going to be running a Holley or similar for the swap? (not familiar with how the mustangs work on the swaps)
If so then yes I would wait, but if your using whats in the car now that no, you dont need to wait. Regardless the car needs power when its installed so everything can be tested and programmed.

Reactions: FESTER665

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
You need an alarm with all the features you want and add the drone on to the alarm.
As far as re-wiring the car, are you going to be running a Holley or similar for the swap? (not familiar with how the mustangs work on the swaps)
If so then yes I would wait, but if your using whats in the car now that no, you dont need to wait. Regardless the car needs power when its installed so everything can be tested and programmed.
Going to be going with the Holley Setup for the engine management, but literally have an entire new wire harness and fuse box for the car as well so I don't have to rely on 25 year old wiring. So the entire car will be rewired essentially.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Going to be going with the Holley Setup for the engine management, but literally have an entire new wire harness and fuse box for the car as well so I don't have to rely on 25 year old wiring. So the entire car will be rewired essentially.
Then yes you need to wait until all that shit is done
If your doing all the re-wiring, then do the alarm at the same time, its simple when you are that deep into the wiring.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I keep seeing the Drone mentioned in car groups on Facebook. Most importantly, make sure your garage and driveway is as secure as can be. Good locks, secure doors, a security system, and cameras on the garage will probably go further than an alarm on the car.

Above all, make sure to get a good agreed value insurance policy on your car. If a thief wants it, they will take it. Any security measures just keep an honest person honest.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I keep seeing the Drone mentioned in car groups on Facebook. Most importantly, make sure your garage and driveway is as secure as can be. Good locks, secure doors, a security system, and cameras on the garage will probably go further than an alarm on the car.

Above all, make sure to get a good agreed value insurance policy on your car. If a thief wants it, they will take it. Any security measures just keep an honest person honest.
Yeah, I agree on most of the points. Have cameras, car will be garaged, etc. Just wanting to do anything I can in case something did happen, Id rather not lose the car, but I'll definitely have an agreed upon value on it so I wont lose my ass if it did get stolen.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
add some tow hooks.... Then bolt a few into the garage slab. Attach it with something that would need a fucking torch and an hour to get through.

No tow truck is taking that shit.
Tow trucks snatch your shit on the street not out of your garage.
But I like your idea lol.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Will I had never seen those trackers in person till my co worker pulled her bronco sport in the shop to have the windshield replaced. She could not find her keys she was panicking and she is like shit I have a Apple locater on my keys she opens the app and it could not find the keys and the car being in the shop maybe 50ft away. While the keys were between the console and passenger seat. The car and keys were not even deep in the shop it was by the detail section. If a car gets stolen I’m sure it’s going to a chop shop most likely, so the apple thingy most likely will not work.
Yeah there is always a delay in it reporting back it's location. I've observed that. It's not a homing beacon but for $100 for 4 of them its worth it. I think you're reading too far into my intent with these devices. It's not a major security system nor did I intend it to be that. But if it locates to a shop and disappears from there then at least I can provide that to the police and potentially recover my vehicle or at least find out what shop is associated so that it can be investigated. This is why I have agreed value on my insurance policy because if the car goes bye bye I'll get what it's worth.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Yeah there is always a delay in it reporting back it's location. I've observed that. It's not a homing beacon but for $100 for 4 of them its worth it. I think you're reading too far into my intent with these devices. It's not a major security system nor did I intend it to be that. But if it locates to a shop and disappears from there then at least I can provide that to the police and potentially recover my vehicle or at least find out what shop is associated so that it can be investigated. This is why I have agreed value on my insurance policy because if the car goes bye bye I'll get what it's worth.
For $100, that is also equal to a $25 real GPS tracker and the subscription for almost a year without any "maybes".

It TOTALLY depends on how much someone really cares about it being stolen or not. Insurance can't cover sentimental values or ultra rare cars. Yeah you'll get a check, but that's not the same thing to most people.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
For $100, that is also equal to a $25 real GPS tracker and the subscription for almost a year without any "maybes".

It TOTALLY depends on how much someone really cares about it being stolen or not. Insurance can't cover sentimental values or ultra rare cars. Yeah you'll get a check, but that's not the same thing to most people.
ok cool.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
To add to what Lord Tin Foilhat said - getting "fleet tracker" systems are nice, though the ones with quality UI / apps are tougher. I've investigated a number of options, I'm still trying to choose one. I am adding the one he mentioned to the list. Many of the ones that have big companies for clients also cost more, likely because of the R&D/Development they have to put into their product and app to retain those large clients.

Some people complained that the "Geofencing" option didn't work, or alerts didn't come through (though some of that might be the phone OS' fault. I have some apps that don't push alerts like they should. Then I open the app and I'm like "when the hell did all this happen?").

Some of the fleet tracker GPS systems have service tiers, priced accordingly. Things like 15 minute snapshots versus real-time/on-demand.

DEEZUZ DEEZUZ
Yes, some of those companies offer deals based on the number of cars in your "fleet", but I haven't seen one yet that has a price break for less than 10 vehicles. Maybe a TCG group buy? ... but then someone would be able to look up the location of any member's car anytime he wanted to.... lol

Here's some material to assist in your research:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info