Vehicle battery thermal wrap (electric warmer) - Anyone use them?

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Reaction score
I'm trying to have a leg up this winter as far as my car starting in these frigid temps. Last winter I had a few mornings where my car wouldn't start because the battery was too cold to start the GP. The battery at that time was at most a year old. Ive looked into battery warmers on Amazon and i'm wondering if anyone has any input on them.

For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-22200-Watt-Battery-Thermal/dp/B000I8XD9E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415676975&sr=8-1

Any other sugestions? I have looked electric magnet oil pan warmers but I don't think thats what I need.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
I have a block heater in all my vehicles. Even when it was 0* out, running them for 4 hours before I left for work they'd be around 40* for coolant temps. Really makes a big difference on cold starts and warm up times. It would also melt off any frost on my hood and if I kept my vents on for the defrost it would slightly defrost my windshield.

Battery warmer would make your battery last much longer but a new battery shouldn't have any issue starting a cold vehicle.

HeavyG

Reaction score
Im the same way with avoiding Car Drama. ....just get remote start. ..start car before going to sleep. ...never had any issues

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
If I had the ability to run a line out to my car I'd install a block heater. Would be nice to have the block warm on those freezing days. But I live in an apartment and can't do that.

What are LL's going to do when Electric cars become common enough that people need a way to charge them even if they are renting an apartment.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
Block heater ftw... Oh, and a heavy duty timer too.

The only thing better is a heated garage.

HeavyG

Reaction score
Lol. Its worked for me over 10 years and counting....cant remember the last time it didn't turn over

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
my intrepid had the mopar battery blanket/warmer. 6 years/winters on a cheap autozone battery

huge difference when you forget to plug it in.

block heaters are probably a waste on most modern engines (alum blocks/heads) as they are already designed to heatup asap to reduce emissions.

lastls1

Reaction score
My srt-4s had the blanket from the factory. I removed them when I went big turbo. I honestly never noticed a difference. I think battery quality has more to do with it than anything. Didnt have any warmers on the cruze or elantra this past winter either. Both started right up even in -25 real air temps.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
I used to keep my old Burb with a crappy battery on a trickle charger in the winter, worked pretty good at turning over the truck and keeping the battery going.

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
this last winter "polar vortex" the g8 sat outside.

went up to my front door, remote started it.. no issues ever.

:dunno:

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
I had a block heater on my gasser expedition and I used it everyday I could that it was below 30*. They work absolute wonders, almost instant heat, saves abuse, especially on vehicles with aluminum heads and cast blocks, the expansion rate difference is crazy at those temps, you want everything to heat up as equally as possible.

For the smaller guys, they have circulation pump heaters, not only does it heat the coolant it moves it around your block and heater core. It doesn't work as well for us guys with 8 gallons to heat, but for smaller applications it works great.

Ti28

Cupcake
Reaction score
We had one of those circulation pumps on a CAT V225B forklift here at work. Came in one day and there was a 20' spot of green snow. Pump melted down and dumped all the coolant. I don't trust those anymore.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
Last year I threw a 100 watt bulb in a drop light and hung it next to the battery in the trunk. Helped a lot. I didn't want to spend the money on a new battery at the time

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Reaction score
Whats the CCA on your battery [MENTION=1396]Freebeer187[/MENTION]?! The battery blanket might be a cheap holdover until the battery takes a dump completely, but I'd definitely get a better battery next time around. I wouldn't think any later model cars should have any trouble starting with a decent battery.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
AutoZone batteries are really a hit or miss. most of the time they're a miss. I'd take your car to autozone and test it. See what the CCA's are currently

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
Also check the power and ground wires

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Reaction score
Not sure. Im going to go to auto zone and see if I can get it swapped out in time for winter. The wrap sounds like a nice backup as needed but from what everyone is saying it is not necessary with a good battery.

I'd like to check out that block heater though. GP takes ages to warm up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom