🏡 Better Homes Utility bill pity party.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Gunna ask our CEO what his bill was like at the hockey game tonight. However I am not sure he will know nor would it ever matter.

His home is 8,000 square feet approx I think, and this is the same person that just spent 140k updating his kitchen and living room. (Just those 2 rooms only)

Fuuuuuuuu

• Wow
Reactions: Shawn1112

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
ideally every house in this climate zone should have 2x6 construction and insulation plus exterior insulation. Sure the upfront cost would be higher but how long does a house last? The energy savings from doing double or triple code for insulation will pay for itself easily in the long run.

I’d love to do exterior insulation whenever we do siding on the house and then I will consider getting a Geo thermal heat pump. That would be the hot setup for new construction that I was planning on living in for 20 years. The bill to HVAC the house would be nearly nothing

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Geothermal is too expensive and complicated IMO. The cost to drill a well field is insane. Not to mention someone who can be trusted to service your system.

Your money would be better spent on insulation and air sealing, running a higher end air source heat pump. Especially if you’ve got solar.

I’ve got brick veneer for the whole first floor and there’s not much I can do there. Second floor for sure getting exterior foam too when I

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
ideally every house in this climate zone should have 2x6 construction and insulation plus exterior insulation. Sure the upfront cost would be higher but how long does a house last? The energy savings from doing double or triple code for insulation will pay for itself easily in the long run.

I’d love to do exterior insulation whenever we do siding on the house and then I will consider getting a Geo thermal heat pump. That would be the hot setup for new construction that I was planning on living in for 20 years. The bill to HVAC the house would be nearly nothing

2x6 construction here on our home as well as the additional insulation you speak of. It’s a must, idk what our bills would be like if it wasn’t done like that. The 3 guest bedrooms have 20 foot ceilings and our living room is all open all the way to the second story. So idk 30 feet?

It takes a lot to heat and cool all that open space

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Geothermal is too expensive and complicated IMO. The cost to drill a well field is insane.

Your money would be better spent on insulation and air sealing, running a couple mini split heat pumps and an ERV, get rid of any combustion appliances in the house in favor of electric powered.

Our friends just bought a home that has that type of setup. It’s so interesting. They have solar panels as well. It was so crazy going in the basement and seeing it all when you are just used to a furnace

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Geothermal is too expensive and complicated IMO. The cost to drill a well field is insane.

Your money would be better spent on insulation and air sealing, running a couple mini split heat pumps and an ERV, get rid of any combustion appliances in the house in favor of electric powered.
I just worry about not producing enough heat with standard heat pumps. And I’ve been seeing a new type of Geo that uses shallower wells and a smaller grid that a company in New England is installing. It also cuts the cost of install in half

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I just worry about not producing enough heat with standard heat pumps. And I’ve been seeing a new type of Geo that uses shallower wells and a smaller grid that a company in New England is installing. It also cuts the cost of install in half
The tech is getting better and can handle pretty cold temps. Mitsubishi hyper heat line has 100% capacity down to 23*, 76% capacity down to -13*

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Gunna ask our CEO what his bill was like at the hockey game tonight. However I am not sure he will know nor would it ever matter.

His home is 8,000 square feet approx I think, and this is the same person that just spent 140k updating his kitchen and living room. (Just those 2 rooms only)

Fuuuuuuuu
$140K isn’t much is you have a couple million dollar home. Hell if you do high end Wolfe/Viking/Sub Zero appliances that will add up very quickly.

It’s all relative.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
$140K isn’t much is you have a couple million dollar home. Hell if you do high end Wolfe/Viking/Sub Zero appliances that will add up very quickly.

It’s all relative.
i love those high end appliances. with my old man being an appliance guy, thats how i got my $4000 dacor dual fuel range for $50 and fixed the control board with a $5 relay. lol.

best part about any of those are the tech articles are all over, and even included in the owners manuals. like they made them in such a way that they CAN be repaired vs being replaced when they go bad. and even 20+ year old units still have parts at the suppliers .

Reactions: 1quick

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
My place had crappy insulation when it was new. If I were planning on staying here long-term I'd like to rip out all the drywall and put in new insulation, and also redo the attic.

But I don't plan on being here any longer than I have to, so there won't be any ROI. Just gonna leave it for the next person to deal with.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
My place had crappy insulation when it was new. If I were planning on staying here long-term I'd like to rip out all the drywall and put in new insulation, and also redo the attic.

But I don't plan on being here any longer than I have to, so there won't be any ROI. Just gonna leave it for the next person to deal with.
i should do attic insulation for sure. as well as floor insulation in the part of my house that is above the vented crawl space. that tile gets cold AF.

some day....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info