🏡 Better Homes Utility bill pity party.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Wasn’t you who said cheap ones and replace often? That’s the logic I have been following
If all you have is a 1” filter, yea. A 5” filter has something like 5x the surface area to not only capture particulate but distribute the pressure drop across the filter.

Reactions: 1quick

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
For you guys that lower it a couple degrees at night. In reality, how much money are you saving? Ours stays at 70 all winter long I’ve never lowered it at night because I can’t see you saving that much money.
I lower it at night just for comfort. We keep it 72-73 daily and 69-70 at night.

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
For you guys that lower it a couple degrees at night. In reality, how much money are you saving? Ours stays at 70 all winter long I’ve never lowered it at night because I can’t see you saving that much money.
70 is usually too toasty at night. I drop it a degree or two. Sleep much better. With the temps as cold as they are I just leave it at 70.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
We do 68 during the day and 66 at night (have a Nest, so its automatic). I like it colder when I'm in bed, which is why I have it set to drop 2 degrees at night, doubt it makes much of a money difference.

I work from home most days in shorts and a t-shirt and 68 degrees feels very comfortable.

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
Only paying $.38/therm to Nicor and rate is fixed for 4 more years. The last 12 months has seen Nicor go from $.28/them to $.68. It’s been a crazy year.
ComEd I’m still on their normal rate but I signed up for community solar since I’m not qualified for rooftop. Wont save much but it will be about 10% cheaper than ComEd once the project goes live.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Only paying $.38/therm to Nicor and rate is fixed for 4 more years. The last 12 months has seen Nicor go from $.28/them to $.68. It’s been a crazy year.
ComEd I’m still on their normal rate but I signed up for community solar since I’m not qualified for rooftop. Wont save much but it will be about 10% cheaper than ComEd once the project goes live.
.038? I’m paying .10 and some change and thought that was super high

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
.10 must be your electric
Nope definitely gas and it’s high for this area of Illinois

C03651C0-D443-44F3-A7FC-CE7CBD4CC14D.jpeg

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
Nope definitely gas and it’s high for this area of Illinois

View attachment 111075

That is a delivery charge (which Nicor has also increased).

If you don’t have a supplier your cost per therm is listed on the left side of the bill and will say gas cost rate under the delivery charges. Should be $.61 for January. Also the bar graph shows Nicor’s price per therm for each month.

If you have a supplier it will be on the right hand side like mine.

B5D1431C-946E-41AF-A6FB-94C6238BE353.jpeg

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
That is a delivery charge (which Nicor has also increased).

If you don’t have a supplier your cost per therm is listed on the left side of the bill and will say gas cost rate under the delivery charges. Should be $.61 for January. Also the bar graph shows Nicor’s price per therm for each month.

If you have a supplier it will be on the right hand side like mine.

View attachment 111076
Yes I’m dumb Lol, .61 is correct

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Here’s an example of shitty house insulation and air infiltration:
Thermostat is in great room, set to 68. We are sleeping in the “front room” because master is torn up for remodel. I walked into the room last night and grabbed my IR camera. It was 55* on the surface of our bed.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I set mine at 73 or 74 during the day. At night it's set to 69. I don't do it to save money or anything (although that helps), but so that my kids sleep harder. They tend to sleep better when it's a little colder in the house, and having a kid who has sleeping issues, we make sure to do what we can so she can possibly get a good night's sleep.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
$198 gas
$182 water and electric

3,100 sq ft of conditioned space. Single furnace, Lennox Elite with advertised up to 98% efficiency.

The house is, I think, too big for a single furnace because even in winter the upstairs is cooler than downstairs, or it’s inefficient ducting. The farthest room (our master) is constantly a few degrees cooler than the rest of the house. Much better, though, after going R60 in the attic and playing with the ducting dampers, which made a huge difference. And also using the low-speed fan to keep air circulating. Im using fewer therms than last winter, though I haven’t looked into avg temps yet.

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
$198 gas
$182 water and electric

3,100 sq ft of conditioned space. Single furnace, Lennox Elite with advertised up to 98% efficiency.

The house is, I think, too big for a single furnace because even in winter the upstairs is cooler than downstairs, or it’s inefficient ducting. The farthest room (our master) is constantly a few degrees cooler than the rest of the house. Much better, though, after going R60 in the attic and playing with the ducting dampers, which made a huge difference. And also using the low-speed fan to keep air circulating. Im using fewer therms than last winter, though I haven’t looked into avg temps yet.
Definitely not too big for a single furnace, moreso a limitation of duct design. Residential duct systems are seldom optimal for the reason of expense, proper sizing cuts into too much living space, and the residential side of the industry is very stuck in their antiquated ways of rules of thumb. “I’ve been doing it like this for 35 years with no problem” crap.

You’re doing a great job at adding insulation, balancing and keeping the fan running. 100% what any pro would recommend.

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
$182 water and electric

Same sq ft here. I have a single unit but my floor plan is open main floor with vaulted ceilings. Once I got the ecobee I monitored the sensors for which of the rooms ran hotter. Just two. I also prioritized the sensors in terms of which ones participate. Using them all for an average temp will lead to increased variation.

Main floor master and the center of 3 bedrooms upstair were my the ones mostly off. I added flair vents to those rooms. My temp variation is perfect now.

The flair vents and integration with ecobee is great along with the data it provides.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Same sq ft here. I have a single unit but my floor plan is open main floor with vaulted ceilings. Once I got the ecobee I monitored the sensors for which of the rooms ran hotter. Just two. I also prioritized the sensors in terms of which ones participate. Using them all for an average temp will lead to increased variation.

Main floor master and the center of 3 bedrooms upstair were my the ones mostly off. I added flair vents to those rooms. My temp variation is perfect now.

The flair vents and integration with ecobee is great along with the data it provides.
Yeah, I did the same with Nest sensors. And also a handheld anemometer on the vents while playing with the dampers; not sure if that was useful (pressure vs volume), but I’m at a point now where I don’t have to set the temp to the kids’ rooms to make it comfortable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info