Giz always has his coat on

20220126_191028.jpg

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Wood. Wood everywhere :rofl:. We used to do 70 but with gas so expensive I refuse. By my logic what’s 2-3 degrees? You could argue what’s 2-3 degrees on the cost side too I suppose.

My logic is I work too hard I’d rather pay more and be comfortable year round. Not worth being cheap

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I wish I had a wood burning stove like my mom's house. That thing will get her entire basement smoldering hot with a few splits.

I could drive around after a few spring storms abd collect enough wood to run that thing all winter to supplement the furnace.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
My logic is I work too hard I’d rather pay more and be comfortable year round. Not worth being cheap
This exactly. I don’t work all day just to cheap out and be uncomfortable at home. That goes double for the AC. What’s the point of even having it and setting it to 78*? And at work in the winter like today, our shop was 54*. I had a coat on and kept getting blasted with cold air every time the doors opened. Sure I can wear a jacket but my nose was dripping all day from the cold. I refuse to come home and pile on blankets because it’s 66* in here.

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
$270ish this past month, usually in the 150-180 range all winter long.

100 year old house with boiler and cast iron radiators, half of which have seized adjustment valves which makes things fun. Virtually no insulation, some in the roof, windows are newer which helps, but the old doors and general design of old houses leave it a bit drafty at times (especially days like this).

Temp set at 67 during the day, 63 at night, if it was any warmer the upstairs would be 80-85 in the 3 rooms (guess which valves are stuck lol). With all the bedrooms upstairs and the temp at 63 at night, we still need to crack our bedroom window as I’ll wake up and see our room at 80, way too warm to sleep.

The wife and I just layer up during the day and have learned to just deal with it the 6 years we’ve lived here. We love old houses and understand it is what it is until we do an addition/remodel to address these and other issues.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
This exactly. I don’t work all day just to cheap out and be uncomfortable at home. That goes double for the AC. What’s the point of even having it and setting it to 78*? And at work in the winter like today, our shop was 54*. I had a coat on and kept getting blasted with cold air every time the doors opened. Sure I can wear a jacket but my nose was dripping all day from the cold. I refuse to come home and pile on blankets because it’s 66* in here.
Yeah I'm not worried about an extra 20-30 a month for a/c or heat.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
That’s how my wife feels too.

$270ish this past month, usually in the 150-180 range all winter long.

100 year old house with boiler and cast iron radiators, half of which have seized adjustment valves which makes things fun. Virtually no insulation, some in the roof, windows are newer which helps, but the old doors and general design of old houses leave it a bit drafty at times (especially days like this).

Temp set at 67 during the day, 63 at night, if it was any warmer the upstairs would be 80-85 in the 3 rooms (guess which valves are stuck lol). With all the bedrooms upstairs and the temp at 63 at night, we still need to crack our bedroom window as I’ll wake up and see our room at 80, way too warm to sleep.

The wife and I just layer up during the day and have learned to just deal with it. We love old houses and understand it is what it is for now until we do an addition/remodel to address these and other issues.
I rent a tiny place in western Illinois that’s like that. Built in the 1920’s, windows appear to be original and at least one of my 2 valves is seized. It’s either freezing in there or unbearably hot.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
That’s how my wife feels too.

I rent a tiny place in western Illinois that’s like that. Built in the 1920’s, windows appear to be original and at least one of my 2 valves is seized. It’s either freezing in there or unbearably hot.
I grew up in a house with radiators and this is the first time I've heard the valves were supposed to be adjusted. I thought they just ran wide open.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
What I don't get is, if you drop the thermostat from say 72 during the day to 64 at night, come the next morning it just means more demand on the furnace to get the temp back up to 72.

If you do 72/69 then it isn't working as hard to meet the demand. Yeah, it's still using gas to run during the night, but probably less to maintain 69 for 7-8 hours then to have to go from 64 to 72, in which case it's going to be running at full chat until the AV meets the SP.

So which would use less gas then?

Reactions: The Beast

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
What I don't get is, if you drop the thermostat from say 72 during the day to 64 at night, come the next morning it just means more demand on the furnace to get the temp back up to 72.

If you do 72/69 then it isn't working as hard to meet the demand. Yeah, it's still using gas to run during the night, but probably less to maintain 69 for 7-8 hours then to have to go from 64 to 72, in which case it's going to be running at full chat until the AV meets the SP.

So which would use less gas then?
Depends on the energy it takes to bring the temp back up vs what you save by running lower Temps for X amount of hours.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
for heating it doesn’t matter as much. You’re mostly adding sensible heat. It doesn’t take much energy to raise the temp of air.

AC is a different story. You’re actively fighting to remove moisture from the air before temp will drop.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info