Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

As if the year 2020 weren't bad enough for many of us, 2021 appears to be far worse. At least when it comes to buying your next car. Thanks to record shortages of new vehicles, many used cars are selling for more money than their exact new car counterparts.

The average used car is now nearly 30 percent more expensive than it was last year right before the lockdowns. Used car prices have also increased 1.7 percent in each of the last three weeks according to Cox Automotive, which tracks over six million vehicles a year at wholesale dealer-only auctions.

Let's use the Kia Soul as an example. According to TrueCar, a brand new 2021 Kia Soul LX registers a price of $17,724.

And yet, this one-year-old 2020 Kia Soul LX in the same color and with identical options went for an eye-popping $18,500 this morning at the largest wholesale auction company in the world, Manheim Auctions. That's with 5,000 miles on its odometer and what the auctioneer announced as "contaminated oil."

That’s not all. The buyer had to also pay a $500 auction ‘buy fee’. If you add a $200 post-sale inspection, transport costs, and removing the contaminated oil , that price difference widens to between $1,500 and $2,000 more for the used model.

This 2016 Kia Rio LX (below, left) was the exact type of car that sold for cheap a few months ago. Small subcompacts with few options are usually available for less than $10,000 once they are three years old. Today it sold for $12,400 plus a $500 buy fee. That’s over $4,000 more than its forecasted wholesale average price of $8,275.

Even unpopular and damaged cars are getting stiff price premiums. A 2017 Hyundai Accent with nearly 75,000 miles and a bad transmission went for $8,000 versus just a $5,700 wholesale average.

SUVs without issues are also still as popular as ever. Before I walked out of the auction today and ripped up my bidder badge, I saw a 2019 Ford Escape SEL with 21,000 miles (above, right) that would normally be worth only $19,150 sell for a jaw-dropping $22,400 plus an even bigger auction fee than that Kia Rio.

If you lease a vehicle, you may want to consider buying it out at the end of the lease and selling it yourself.

Why is this happening? Supply and demand.

Plants are shuttering and reducing output due to microchip shortages. Today’s cars require computers, chips, and sensors. No chips? No cars!

Americans are also on tap to receive over $2.5 trillion in stimulus money along with hundreds of billions in tax refunds. Some of which go back to 2019. If you price in the American Jobs Plan, which may add another $2 trillion to the American economy, you get the perfect storm of demand in a car market that is now quickly running out of supply.

If you have an extra car you don’t need, sell it. In my 22 years as a car dealer I have never seen prices this high.

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
The pendulum will eventually swing back when people realize they can get new cars for the same/better price with the full warranties. Hopefully Biden doesn't do another cash for clunkers. That was a disaster and could be again.
Sooo many awesome cars gone forever :( but it kinda makes me wanna dump my truck and go get a 2k beater with a rear main leak and drop a chooch on it. Then sell that and do it again :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: radioguy6 and Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
So many people with more money than brains now. Real estate and used cars. IF values continue to rise, it's worth spending the money. If they drop, it's a loss. I'm thinking about selling my home when we get to top of the market for the same reasons. Rent for 2-3 years and watch for the price drop once interest rates go through the roof. Might be worth buying now but there are no guarantees.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So many people with more money than brains now. Real estate and used cars. IF values continue to rise, it's worth spending the money. If they drop, it's a loss.
eh, I'm just joking. Sure the car is worth more now than it was a few months ago. This is mostly just because of the silicon shortage. In truth the RS will be paid off in about a year and a half at the current speed.

I'm more interested in house downpayment.

I'm more likely to pay the RS off, save for a year or two to build up downpayment cash. Then I'll likely be looking at the used C8 market and depending on prices go for a Z51, or whatever performance variant is in the price range like a GranSport if one exists at the time. I doubt the Z06 will be in the range I'll be looking at spending in. But there should be plenty of C8 Z51's by that time to choose from.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Yeah, I'm concerned what my finance home buyers will do if interest rates get up to 6%. Many of them will be priced out of the market. I tell them that prices seem high but rates are still low. Get in now or risk not doing so for who knows how long.

If my buyers had bought a year or two ago they'd be pretty happy now. Some of them are wishing they had listened to me, I'm sure. The economic expert we had at my office a few weeks ago predicts 8% increase in home prices this year.

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
Yeah, I'm concerned what my finance home buyers will do if interest rates get up to 6%. Many of them will be priced out of the market. I tell them that prices seem high but rates are still low. Get in now or risk not doing so for who knows how long.

If my buyers had bought a year or two ago they'd be pretty happy now. Some of them are wishing they had listened to me, I'm sure. The economic expert we had at my office a few weeks ago predicts 8% increase in home prices this year.
Til it pops and they start makin people pay up their past rent and utility bills. Then we're gonna have a mess just like in 08. I remember that well. These "shortages" are always excuses to put a hold in manufacturing and then shit comes back in twice as high. Farm tires have more than doubled since them and this time it's worse. At least when it comes to that

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
its stupid how much tech is required go into these cars nowadays, just keeps driving the costs into outer space. Entire world demands semiconductors right now. I hate to see us mirror 2008, but sure seems like we're tracking that way. I hope we don't see $5/gallon again. I could see another "cash for clunkers" type program come through to get rid of more perfectly good running used cars in exchange for an EV rebate.

my wife and I kind of saw this coming, we sold her lease early to cash out positive equity, leased another for less monthly, and just picked up a 19 year old beater with 100k on it. Been a while since I had a beater, its oddly satisfying in a way. Park anywhere you fucking want, manual controls, no sensors, cameras, noob assists :rofl:

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
My neighbor who works at Jeep/Dodge says they only have 90 new cars and will run out because they aren’t getting their shipments of new vehicles. My other buddy works at Ford and assembly lines are shut down due to lack of parts.
Tell them to call Elgin Dodge. They have a shit ton of new vehicles sitting around
282 to be exact

Reactions: GLADIATOR

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
just picked up a 19 year old beater with 100k on it. Been a while since I had a beater, its oddly satisfying in a way. Park anywhere you fucking want, manual controls, no sensors, cameras, noob assists :rofl:
If I sell my truck to Vroom, I'm almost thinking doing something similar. Maybe pick up a 125k-150k mile 10yr old Tahoe or similar. Pay cash and just save my car note until this bubble bursts. Then go pick something up off someone who can no longer afford their note.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
If I sell my truck to Vroom, I'm almost thinking doing something similar. Maybe pick up a 125k-150k mile 10yr old Tahoe or similar. Pay cash and just save my car note until this bubble bursts. Then go pick something up off someone who can no longer afford their note.

Vroom was awesome, they gave us the most for my wife's lease. Most painless experience ever. And thats a solid plan. I'd go for it, good luck !

Reactions: Shawn1112 and frank

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Best part of a 10 year old car truck is that they are more reliable then a new car! Repairs are also inexpensive.

If I could open up a car dealer it would be nothing but 10 year old cars on the lot ready to go, and then also hoard the market on 3rd and 4th gen f-body’s, fox body’s, and c5 vettes!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info