🔧 BUILD Upside-down M90 GTP build thread

General Information

When your wife gives you permission to build a racecar, you build a racecar.

This is what happened to me. However, all funding for this project comes out of my construction account. I really need a telehandler, so this is very budget friendly. Luckily, I've been stockpiling parts for years. This isn't an overnight build by any means. My goal is to make a 1/4 mile pass with it before the tracks close for the season. I'm taking a risk here and using photobucket for image hosting, so hopefully they don't screw me over again.

So let's start it off. I bought a 04 L26 motor with somewhere north of 100k on it and started to tear it down.

1689132772823.png

Everything looks good so far. The pistons are really clean. There was some junk sitting in the oil pan, but not much.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Meh.

By the way unless that's the core that prj modified for a post-core boost bypass passage for the external boost bypass valve.

delete the Boost bypass valve if it does not pass through the intercooler core before getting recirculated back into the blower.

The animal kit does that and it's a s***** compromise.
it's what led to lunching the Whipple on The WhippledRiv
I haven't looked at it too close yet. But I'm pretty sure it's what prj modified.
IMG_20221118_091434338_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221118_091425881_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Turbocharged400sbc

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I still can't believe prj and John Bob had that custom 90mm throttle body plenum made when Whipple told me the 90 mm throttle body was too small and that they use their own custom giant throttle bodies....$$$$.

I verified it with a vacuum gauge behind the throttle body and they are definitely right.

It's nice that you got the later animal throttle body plenum set up with the angled Machining.

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
I still think the only viable setup is the 3.3 or 200 ax that way you don't need a 3-in pulley and the resulting belt slip and wishing you could buy a 1000ft roll of belts
it (the 2.3L on a 3800) is self-fusing for people that have intermittent self-control problems like myself. If you ask for 30psi, the belt says "no, stupid!"

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
What belts do you run? Chessler seems to have good luck with the gates rpm belts since they don't stretch.
i didn't get past the limits of my standard gates belt, belt wrap and 7.3 powerstroke tensioner while i had the old car going. I'td get to 20-22psi. i was kinda eyeing those rpm belts but i feel like it's a whole different strategy. ill visit that once it's the big problem. only issue i did have is when im bouncing off the rev limiter and doin hoodrat shit the belt could work itself off and shred

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
i didn't get past the limits of my standard gates belt, belt wrap and 7.3 powerstroke tensioner while i had the old car going. I'td get to 20-22psi. i was kinda eyeing those rpm belts but i feel like it's a whole different strategy. ill visit that once it's the big problem. only issue i did have is when im bouncing off the rev limiter and doin hoodrat shit the belt could work itself off and shred

What did you have to do to get the 7.3 tensioner to work?

Thread Info