🔧 BUILD Upside-down M90 GTP build thread

General Information

When your wife gives you permission to build a racecar, you build a racecar.

This is what happened to me. However, all funding for this project comes out of my construction account. I really need a telehandler, so this is very budget friendly. Luckily, I've been stockpiling parts for years. This isn't an overnight build by any means. My goal is to make a 1/4 mile pass with it before the tracks close for the season. I'm taking a risk here and using photobucket for image hosting, so hopefully they don't screw me over again.

So let's start it off. I bought a 04 L26 motor with somewhere north of 100k on it and started to tear it down.

1689132772823.png

Everything looks good so far. The pistons are really clean. There was some junk sitting in the oil pan, but not much.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
As far as your bov that should probably be reference off your charge piping as opposed to manifold vacuum or you'll have a hell of a time adjusting the spring pressure. If it's a fuel pressure regulator you definitely want it to vacuum or it won't suck it down enough to slow your fuel flow at idle and your tuner will think your an idiot.

Just some things I've learned from running a dyno.

Reactions: GTPpower

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
As far as your map sensor I would imagine if that was referenced at the charge pipe rather than boost it would see it as a vacuum leak and ramp up the fueling on it so that's probably why you were having issues as far as that goes. Seems like maybe some simple vacuum line rerouting and a multimeter and your in the game to put a hurtin on my camaro at the track again

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Ahhh. So maybe it isn't happy seeing the boost at low rpms then? Afrs in decent range? If the bov is holding shut as opposed to being open I'd imagine it could've changed ve enough to screw with the table yet and it likely over compensated? If I remember right your still running in open loop and we have to be really meticulous with our fueling stuff where the fuel trims aren't saving things from playing games

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I wouldn't mind taking a look at it just to see if I can see somethin but even if its jumping up to a different maf cell it's likely to change. This 100⁰ bs has me keeping mine inside too I'm not about to even try it right now and risk the intake Temps bein any hotter than they need to be.

Got a pretty sweet old school ss2 impala in the shop right now that I've got idle tuned and refuse to try and pull until it cools down a little

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I put the lightest spring setup in the bov that I have, and it still acts the same.

From my memory, it takes like 8 psi for the pressure to overcome the bov spring without pressure on the top port and release it, so I'm pretty sure that's not my problem either.

I think I've got an old gen 3 in storage. I guess I'll doctor that up to make it fit and see if there is any difference there. If not, I'm probably going to pull this setup off.

SHKENBK

Regular
Aug 26, 2022
Central Texas
Real Name
Rob `
I wouldn't mind taking a look at it just to see if I can see somethin but even if its jumping up to a different maf cell it's likely to change. This 100⁰ bs has me keeping mine inside too I'm not about to even try it right now and risk the intake Temps bein any hotter than they need to be.

Got a pretty sweet old school ss2 impala in the shop right now that I've got idle tuned and refuse to try and pull until it cools down a little
We hit almost 100 days over 100 again here in Texas. We saw 110 degrees several days and my vehicles reported 116 where I was at. This isn’t normal for Texas but does happen every 10 years or so. It finally broke last week and now we’re in the low to mid 90’s so we’re back at it.

• Wow
Reactions: sktchy and GTPpower

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
We hit almost 100 days over 100 again here in Texas. We saw 110 degrees several days and my vehicles reported 116 where I was at. This isn’t normal for Texas but does happen every 10 years or so. It finally broke last week and now we’re in the low to mid 90’s so we’re back at it.

that sounds absolutely terrible

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Any updates?? I want to hear the obscenely loud blower kill V8’s.
I'm gonna tell you from experience not to line up with this thing. He'll literally have go pros and paint stripes on the tires. It is in fact the standard that I strive to keep up with as far as 3800 legend goes and I don't think zzp even wants to play with it in the trash can air we have out here. :bowrofl:

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Any updates?? I want to hear the obscenely loud blower kill V8’s.
I'm currently modding a gen 3 blower so I can try and see if that makes a difference.

If that doesn't help, I'm not sure what I will do with this setup, but the car will likely get a whipple or turbo over the winter if I can't get it to make the power it should like this.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Yeah. A good friend bought this kit 10-15 years ago. Worked 2 all-nighters to put it on, then drove from western Nebraska to Lincoln to meet up with us, then down to Kansas City. Then, about 30 minutes from the track, he blew a head gasket.

Got back home, pulled it apart, and it's been sitting on a shelf ever since.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Animul performance made em.
Prj made a version though. He only made three kits from what I can find.

I don't think the animul kits ever worked, did they?

He's giving me a pretty good deal on this thing, but it's still a ridiculous amount of money when I could spend less than $1000 and just turbo it and make more power.

Thread Info