🔧 BUILD Upside-down M90 GTP build thread

General Information

When your wife gives you permission to build a racecar, you build a racecar.

This is what happened to me. However, all funding for this project comes out of my construction account. I really need a telehandler, so this is very budget friendly. Luckily, I've been stockpiling parts for years. This isn't an overnight build by any means. My goal is to make a 1/4 mile pass with it before the tracks close for the season. I'm taking a risk here and using photobucket for image hosting, so hopefully they don't screw me over again.

So let's start it off. I bought a 04 L26 motor with somewhere north of 100k on it and started to tear it down.

1689132772823.png

Everything looks good so far. The pistons are really clean. There was some junk sitting in the oil pan, but not much.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
um....leakdown is in %

your suppossed to set the pressure and the % difference between the pressures on either side of an orifice is what your looking for......% of leakage

also leakdowns at BDC/TDC are not super accurate even on nearly new bores compared to at 30* BTDC/ATDC/BBDC/ABDC old dirty ring packs may need a nudge to get the rings to set in their grooves

dont shortcut the cranking cyl press test, pull all plugs before test begins after driving the car for long enough for operating temp, block/hold TB open

you can kinda shortcut with not getting it more than warm (so ya dont burn yerself so bad) but readings are a hair lower than at operating temp

i hope youve been looking at your pre AFC MAF Hz from the begining of your project.....as thats a great overall indicator of engine airflow increase/decrease....you can use post AFC data just as long as youve never adjusted the afc and the sensor is regularly cleaned.

L67 comp test will be lower than the NA shorty. making sure one isnt way outside the mean is the main goal

Reactions: sktchy and TurboTPI

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I got tired of trying to test this intercooler system with a 1.2 gallon compressor that works great on lawnmower and bike tires. I grabbed my 60 gallon compressor and stuck it in the garage. It's nice that I can test it without all the noise from the little compressor running.

The bad news, I still am not finding any leaks. So why will this thing only build 10 psi? Did I mess something up by cutting the inlet off? The coating looks good on the rotors and I don't see any red flags there. Should I go to the junkyard and get another gen 5 and try that?

Reactions: sktchy

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I got tired of trying to test this intercooler system with a 1.2 gallon compressor that works great on lawnmower and bike tires. I grabbed my 60 gallon compressor and stuck it in the garage. It's nice that I can test it without all the noise from the little compressor running.

The bad news, I still am not finding any leaks. So why will this thing only build 10 psi? Did I mess something up by cutting the inlet off? The coating looks good on the rotors and I don't see any red flags there. Should I go to the junkyard and get another gen 5 and try that?
I wonder if we aren't having any least some sort of similar issue here. Granted I've got some mechanical issues to sort out but I should be seeing 13 or 14 psi at wot where the gate is sprung. It sees 12 max if I'm lucky even before I ended up with noises to deal with. Same thing on the last motor.

I know it's not apples to apples and mine may come to light after further research but it's something that I haven't been able to explain yet unless it's a weak wastegate spring or something else of that sort

Reactions: GTPpower

JST_A_3800

Jan 2, 2022

nick you should install a boost port in the blower hat and see what the pressure drop is from the blower to the lower intake. I assume you are measuring boost in the lower intake. I just can't help but wonder if you have a flow issue with a couple of the bends you had to make in the intercooler piping? then if it is only making 10psi under(above) the blower that may narrow down whether its an inlet issue or something down stream

JST_A_3800

Jan 2, 2022
nick you should install a boost port in the blower hat and see what the pressure drop is from the blower to the lower intake. I assume you are measuring boost in the lower intake. I just can't help but wonder if you have a flow issue with a couple of the bends you had to make in the intercooler piping? then if it is only making 10psi under(above) the blower that may narrow down whether its an inlet issue or something down stream
I even have an extra 20lb boost gauge laying around if you want to borrow it if you don't have an extra

Reactions: GTPpower and sktchy

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
That's a good idea. I'll order some more aluminum bungs and weld one in there.

The outlet from the blower is maybe 3/4" tall, but it's about 5" wide. Other than that, all piping is 3" and the intercooler is 3.5". But, I do know that where it goes into the lim, it does sneak down to less than 3"....how much less though, I'm not sure. But I am measuring boost before that point.

But this is a good idea. And I should hook up my intake air temp gauges as well while I'm at it.

Reactions: v6buicks

JST_A_3800

Jan 2, 2022
That's a good idea. I'll order some more aluminum bungs and weld one in there.

The outlet from the blower is maybe 3/4" tall, but it's about 5" wide. Other than that, all piping is 3" and the intercooler is 3.5". But, I do know that where it goes into the lim, it does sneak down to less than 3"....how much less though, I'm not sure. But I am measuring boost before that point.

But this is a good idea. And I should hook up my intake air temp gauges as well while I'm at it.
do it nick!!

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Seems like everyone here is big on the 1/8 mile stuff lately. There's kinda of a little drag and drive from here to i29 towards the end of April that'd be fun to make if I can find the ambition to pull mine apart and put it back together again by then.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I haven't. My wife goes on maternity leave starting Monday, so I will be at home with her for a week. Should be able to get some work done on the car then. I also ordered a 3 bar map sensor, so I will plan on using that in the new port.

But I also have a scissor lift and 6.0 to fix as well. So we'll see how much time I actually do have.

Reactions: sktchy

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I'm not sure what kind of voodoo it takes to get those to stay on but I've never been able to get one to stay tight even with the tool. It's not real proper but a couple worm gear clamps clocked 180⁰ from each other seems to work pretty well without throwing things off balance.

Thread Info