• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Upholstery recommendations.

Hoofer814

Oct 5, 2019
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for upholstery repair in the Chicago area (I live in the SW suburbs)? I have a 1966 Pontiac Tempest with original seats and would like to have them repaired. They are ripped in places along the seam and I'd like to try and keep them. Please advise and thanks!

Tempest.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Not sure how close you are to one, but Riggs Brothers (Bros?) excels at things like this.

And that is a niiiiiice ride. My dad used to have a 65 GTO, black over red with black interior. Came with the 2spd Powerglide and they upgraded it to rock crusher.

Another modification, one of his buddies used to work at an airplane parts supply house. So they shimmed in some landing lights in place of the hi-beams. Said it would throw out a football-shaped pattern and were so bright that in the middle of the night you could turn them on and read a newspaper 2-3 miles down the road. Couple of drawbacks. One, with them on if you go too close to the car in front of you, you could start to bubble the paint on the back of their car. Second, the voltage regulator was not cut out to handle that kind of load. Said they'd be cruising down the back roads in the middle of the night doing 100+ with the top ballooned up so far you could pass a basketball between the supports and the fabric and the entire electrical system would just shut down. No headlights, no dash lights, nothing. You never quite knew when they would cut out or come back on LOL

Reactions: v6buicks

Hoofer814

Oct 5, 2019
I have dealt with Cherry at Johnson seat and canvas in Cortland. She has repaired some original seat covers for me. She also made new seat covers out of NOS fabric for another car of mine. The quality of her work is outstanding and made the reproduction covers I had look like garbage.

View attachment 61332

View attachment 61333
Thanks a ton for the recommendation. I will definitely look them up. The rips are along the seams so I’m hoping they can salvage them. Cloth and vinyl so of course the cloth isn’t available anymore. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Hoofer814

Oct 5, 2019
Not sure how close you are to one, but Riggs Brothers (Bros?) excels at things like this.

And that is a niiiiiice ride. My dad used to have a 65 GTO, black over red with black interior. Came with the 2spd Powerglide and they upgraded it to rock crusher.

Another modification, one of his buddies used to work at an airplane parts supply house. So they shimmed in some landing lights in place of the hi-beams. Said it would throw out a football-shaped pattern and were so bright that in the middle of the night you could turn them on and read a newspaper 2-3 miles down the road. Couple of drawbacks. One, with them on if you go too close to the car in front of you, you could start to bubble the paint on the back of their car. Second, the voltage regulator was not cut out to handle that kind of load. Said they'd be cruising down the back roads in the middle of the night doing 100+ with the top ballooned up so far you could pass a basketball between the supports and the fabric and the entire electrical system would just shut down. No headlights, no dash lights, nothing. You never quite knew when they would cut out or come back on LOL
Great story! Yeah, I’ll pass on the lights ?. I’ll be happy when my new aluminum radiator comes in and I can ride in relative lower engine temp! Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll update once I get it done.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Hoofer814

Oct 5, 2019
Hello all. I had my seats repaired! I found Mr. Trim in Downers Grove IL, on Ogden Avenue. I'm extremely happy with the results. They were great to work with, got it done in a day and the price was great. He did the other side too as the seat was ripped at the seam and the bolster started to split as well. He also added padding to the seat, that was included in the price. I highly recommend them for whatever you need.
1595455355418.png
1595455242516.png
1595455281543.png

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Hello all. I had my seats repaired! I found Mr. Trim in Downers Grove IL, on Ogden Avenue. I'm extremely happy with the results. They were great to work with, got it done in a day and the price was great. He did the other side too as the seat was ripped at the seam and the bolster started to split as well. He also added padding to the seat, that was included in the price. I highly recommend them for whatever you need.
View attachment 63065View attachment 63063View attachment 63064
Turned out great! I’ve used them and Riggs bros for boat stuff in the past. Been happy with both.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info