3800 upgraded flexplate worth it from intense/zzp?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Nov 1 2004, 05:46 PM
just wondering if the upgraded flexplate from zzp/intense is worth it.

Just going over some numbers here....
[snapback]58873[/snapback]​

Well, to be frank put the Intense one out of the picture. The unit is too heavy for a part of the car that needs to be light. If you think you'll benefit from a heavier duty unit, go with the ZZP unit.

Do you plan on getting a higher stall torque converter also?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by BumpinGTP@Nov 1 2004, 07:31 PM
Well, to be frank put the Intense one out of the picture. The unit is too heavy for a part of the car that needs to be light.
have you tested this flexplate?
[snapback]58880[/snapback]​

There is no need to test this flexplate. Physics denote that this is not a good flexplate to use on a FWD car.

Edit: You don't want to use it on an Automatic transmission front wheel drive car. A manual transmission car might benefit from this as they could use the added mass to keep the RPMs up in the launch.

joeyboy777

Regular
Mar 2, 2008
Remember, when going over the costs. If you want the ZZP flexplate, you must buy a new TC. the bolts dont line up on a standard TC. Do some reading on CLubGP on the flexplate. I was about to buy one when i thought i cracked my flexplate, luckily just a bolt was loose and was hitting metal. It wouldnt work for me cause I have a 2800 stall tc that uses the standard flexplate.
Stamatta emailed and said that I would have to run a new TC. yup. As far as if you will benefit from it? I think there are other components that you can spend the same amount of money on. It is all about what your goals and how much you want to spend. come up with a general idea of what you want to do, then email different vendors to see what they offer.

joe a
97/98 GTP

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by joeyboy777@Nov 1 2004, 09:34 PM
Remember, when going over the costs.  If you want the ZZP flexplate, you must buy a new TC.  the bolts dont line up on a standard TC. Do some reading on CLubGP on the flexplate.  I was about to buy one when i thought i cracked my flexplate, luckily just a bolt was loose and was hitting metal.  It wouldnt work for me cause I have a 2800 stall tc that uses the standard flexplate.
Stamatta emailed and said that I would have to run a new TC.  yup.  As far as if you will benefit from it?  I think there are other components that you can spend the same amount of money on.  It is all about what your goals and how much you want to spend.  come up with a general idea of what you want to do, then email different vendors to see what they offer. 

joe a
97/98 GTP
[snapback]58892[/snapback]​
why cant it be re-drilled, like they do to the stock flexplates?

Mike K, there is not a flex plate on a manual tranny.. ;)

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
When ZZP rebuilt my trans, they replaced my flexplate with a stock piece. Not sure why - since the trans has everything else including hardened IS, TC-xxx, shift kit, lsd, etc. I figured since the trans has all the best parts, they would also put in the ZZP flexplate. Go figure...

Sorry, that doesnt answer your question or help you. It's more of a question for me. :unsure:

J.E.T.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by J.E.T.@Nov 2 2004, 09:35 AM
When ZZP rebuilt my trans, they replaced my flexplate with a stock piece.  Not sure why - since the trans has everything else including hardened IS, TC-xxx, shift kit, lsd, etc.  I figured since the trans has all the best parts, they would also put in the ZZP flexplate.  Go figure...

Sorry, that doesnt answer your question or help you.  It's more of a question for me. 

J.E.T.
[snapback]58915[/snapback]​
I was told at the time of my re-build, that I wasnt making enough HP, to warrent an aftermarket Flexplate <_< :( :blink: :eek: :rolleyes:

so at what hp, should one be used?

When i had my Intense tranny installed i went with the Intense flex plate. The reason being i wanted some thing stout that would hold up with the mods i'm planing on doing. If you check the weight of the new flex plate with the Intense t/c you'll find it is still lighter than the stock flex plate and t/c. I know the Stamatta flex plate is lighter, strong and might work better but i wanted a steel flex plate because i feel it well hold up better in the long run. I can still hit 2.0 60 ft times with street tires and i suck at launching. This is only a FYI from some one that has one so please no flames.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by Buick 1@Nov 6 2004, 01:03 AM
When i had my Intense tranny installed i went with the Intense flex plate. The reason being i wanted some thing stout that would hold up with the mods i'm planing on doing. If you check the weight of the new flex plate with the Intense t/c you'll find it is still lighter than the stock flex plate and t/c. I know the Stamatta flex plate is lighter, strong and might work better but i wanted a steel flex plate because i feel it well hold up better in the long run. I can still hit 2.0 60 ft times with street tires and i suck at launching. This is only a FYI from some one that has one so please no flames.
[snapback]59393[/snapback]​
so needing the upgraded flexplate...at what power level are you at...1/4-MPH...dyno?

at what power level does it take to NEED the up-graded flexplate, "BEFORE' it brakes?

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Listen upon this one. I got it covered..

In your power train. Rotating mass=Hp to a point.....BALANCE is more EFFECTIVE. WEIGHT too a point...not in a street strip application.

When you spin a couple grams(out of balance) at high RPMs its like attaching a sledge hammer to your rotating assembly....The more R's the worse it gets....Slinging around , any discrepency can lead to probs/failures..Weight is a predisposed factor with a unbalanced engine.

Dont wory about gains at the flywheel.....Too trivial for a street strip car....DURABILTY/BALANCE is the ticket. Big WEIGHT savings at that area is for competition only....Dont sweat it.

I got a re-balanced L36 flexplate....Reason...TC adaptablility.... All they did was lighten it up at the counter weights..Most of the balance is internal...6% stock in our 3.8s wich veries..Hence, factory freak...Delete the BS and you effectivly lessen the parisitic drag....At a 50%...
Cause...Fireing order.

Lighten up you wheels...

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
In reality a reduction in weight there isnt going to help as much as balancing...Weight reduction in terms of your trans/drivetrain becomes a factor at speed out of balance. As same for your engine. Not just lighten it. At speed the discrepency multiplies...

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by CoolGTX+Nov 6 2004, 04:43 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Buick 1
@Nov 6 2004, 01:03 AM
[snapback]59393[/snapback]​
so needing the upgraded flexplate...at what power level are you at...1/4-MPH...dyno?

at what power level does it take to NEED the up-graded flexplate, "BEFORE' it brakes?
[snapback]59406[/snapback]​
[/b]
:(

:lolsign: how the hell would i know at what level a flex plate will break! That's the whole idea, i don't know so i installed a beefier flex plate. right now i have a 98 Regal GS with the following...msp cai..stage 1 zzp s/c (soon to be replaced with a GenV and N/S or LS1 tb)....S1X cam.....TOG headers.... DUB 3.4 thru 3.0 pulleys ...3" to dual(yes dual tips on a Regal) 2 1/2 inch tail pipes.....Intense tranny with 3.29 gears, t/c and flex plate....and some other stuff.
Future plans....heads and bigger cam.....intercooler.
Current best 13.4 with the wrong plugs....41-919 instead of the 103 and have not dyno tuned it ...........yet!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info