• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Updating software MyFord Touch

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Has anyone here updated the software on their MyFord touch? It's not worth the money for me to actually upgrade the hardware. I've searched for ways on doing it, but haven't found anything recent. I'm getting an error message when I plug my S10, and it never goes away even after clearing it....annoying as hell. The bluetooth connnection still works, but it no longer recognizes my phone book. It doesn't bother me enough to spend $2k on upgrading to the MyFord Touch to Sync3. But I thought maybe I could get an update that at least gets rid of the 'USB not compatible' bullshit I've been seeing with my S10.

I'm guessing that I'm just stuck with this horrific interface unless I spent big $$$.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Throw MFT in the garbage and spend the money on Sync3. Sync3 is worlds better.

Source: I did.

You can find vehicle specific upgrades for cheaper than what the "names" charge you. Mine cost about $600 all said and done through an ebay seller.

$600 might be worthwhile for me, but I saw somewhere near $2k on various websites. I actually did find a way to update via Ford's website and it did mention something about compatibility updates for latest phone and media devices. If that works, I'd put off updating to Sync3 for a bit. My only major complaint is the error message pops up even after hitting the 'Ignore' or whatever, it just keep popping up. I'll try the update via Ford and report back.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
$600 might be worthwhile for me, but I saw somewhere near $2k on various websites. I actually did find a way to update via Ford's website and it did mention something about compatibility updates for latest phone and media devices. If that works, I'd put off updating to Sync3 for a bit. My only major complaint is the error message pops up even after hitting the 'Ignore' or whatever, it just keep popping up. I'll try the update via Ford and report back.

VIN programmed for $600. You'd need the USB hub and harness though but that's another $50 at most. Just look on ebay, $2k is fucking theft for what amounts to ripping this shit out of junked cars and opening up FORScan for a VIN change.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
The problem is so much car info is sent to the infotainment system that you HAVE to use an OEM solution or try to fuck with an iMaestro dealie in order to get an aftermarket unit set up. THEN a half decent/good dual din system on top of the new plastic bezel required sends you upwards of 1.5-2k ANYWAY.

So why not just pitch the original solution at the start?

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Nope, original software from 2015. It only became an issue when I moved from the S7 to the S10 last year. I assumed it was a software issue, so I started inquiring about updating MFT. I probably won't have time to try it until this coming weekend. I didn't want to bring it to Ford because I'm worried they'd do some factory reset on everything and fuck up my tune. The last thing I need is to step on it with the factory tune and pop my motor. Though I'd probably know before it came to that point, the car would likely run like shit before I even got to the open road.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
Nope, original software from 2015. It only became an issue when I moved from the S7 to the S10 last year. I assumed it was a software issue, so I started inquiring about updating MFT. I probably won't have time to try it until this coming weekend. I didn't want to bring it to Ford because I'm worried they'd do some factory reset on everything and fuck up my tune. The last thing I need is to step on it with the factory tune and pop my motor. Though I'd probably know before it came to that point, the car would likely run like shit before I even got to the open road.

You can download the MFT update to a flash drive from your owner portal on Ford's site. Try that first and see if it improves.

& yes, the dealer will attempt to update ALL modules in the vehicle and not just the APIM that runs MFT. While it SHOULDN'T cause an issue with the tune, it has occasionally changed strat codes causing an issue with the tuner.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
The update was pretty easy. I just downloaded a file to a USB, stuck it in the car and it auto-updated. It took about 30 minutes or so. It now recognizes my phone and doesn't give me those annoying pop-up messages. The only thing that was confusing is that the instructions were riddled with Sync3 references. For a while, I thought I had downloaded the wrong files and instructions.

Next is my wife's Exploder. Her maps have crapped out and she's getting odd warnings.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info