Unread posts vanishing

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Well, it's happened again. Same thing with the old board, too. I had a day's worth of unread posts. I logged off, then logged back in, and all my unread posts were gone. :dunno:

I'm not angry, just wanted to let you know, Mook. In case you talk to your VB guy you may want to inquire about this.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
i'm gonna give you guys the same link ive been giving out numerous times now (and silent this is more directed at you)

http://www.thechicagogarage.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2733

Problem:
Go into a forum, go back out to main page and it still shows threads as new.

Solution:
Temporary fix...example: you go into OT b/c theres new threads. there are 2 new ones, you click thru...if you're like me ull usually just cilck back out to the main forum. dont! the quick fix for now is to do this...read the threads, then click back into the forum ure currently in THEN click back out to the main forum. that should eliminate the new thread icon I'm looking into the real solution

Solution 2:
Just click on quick links, "todays new posts", go thru those then just go back to quick links and click mark all forums read

solution number 2 seems to be the easiest method of catching up on all new posts

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm thinking the vanishing posts may be something with my browser since it's happend with both forums. I'm still using the previous versions of both at work, so I"m gonna update and see if that fixes anything.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
it coud be a cookies related issue.....ive all but stopped noticing it mainly because i just mark all forums read once i go thru and see if anything is worth reading....i can look at the forum settings again but anything ive tried has ended up not working :hs:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
i do solution 2 right now, and im pretty sure its cookies. why do i think this? well because every single one of my pcs is different when i log in. i usually go to new posts, look at anything thats worth it, and then mark all forums read. this works. But last night i looked under new posts and there was a bunch, woke up in the morning and they were gone.

also as i was saying with the cookies, i can go to work be on the forum mark all read, go home and all the ones i marked read will all be back, same with the laptop.
you need to some how configure it to use the server and link the posts to their profile instead of storing it in cookies. thats what i think. otherwise if you use 2-3 computers a day, it gets annoying

skeezer

TCG Elite Member
Jan 3, 2008
Luke's Beef
Unread posts may stay in your cache if you come back to a page; like if you have a section of the forum bookmarked. There really shouldn't be any new posts saved after you log out. Your cookie may expire on the board after a certain amount of time, and those new posts may go away. At least It used to be that way. It appears the cookie time is set much longer on this site to how the names of logged in users at the bottom of the page. Hense creating the effect there are many users logged in at the same time. In reality, there's only a few people on the board at a time if you actually look at the times.

Thread Info