Ultra-smashed burger cooking video guide

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
OK, now I'm hungry.... Mmmmmm

BigJohnson

Reaction score
That's the juicy Lucy technique. Been doing it for a while.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
YOU'RE A JUICY LUCY

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
so i messed around with this last night cuz i was hungry, and beef and cheese are cheap right now from angelos (1.69 a lb i think for ground beef?)

turned out so fucking delicious. i need a better spatula though... my metal one has holes in it and that's not helpful.

TCG Member 5219

Reaction score
Aside from looking absolutely awesome, the only thing I can say is that ground beef doesnt need any more salt added to it. You wont miss if if you leave that step out. And the less sodium, the better.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
honestly i normally don't salt stuff heavily frequently, but this needed it. i did a big batch of these burgs to get the technique down. and the ones with salt were better, for whatever reason. i think it may help with the searing primarily.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
This method adds more caramelization space at the expense of less juiciness.

I can see why they mention the cheese being necessary for fat and moisture. It replaces the juice that cooks out of the smashed burgers.

It's a fun way to try something different.

I'd add a little onion powder and a dash of Worcestershire Sauce. Maybe Lawry's seasoning salt in place of regular salt.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
i don't think juiceness leaves as well, there's a fuck ton of it because of how quickly it cooks. that was a thought i was going to have as well, but not the case whatsoever.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
i mean look at the lake these trial runs are swimming in

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the burgers are still great. I have had and enjoyed smashed burgers before.

Ideally, with regular plump burgers, you want the burgers to rest for 5 mins. so all that juice soaks into the meat and stays inside of the burger instead of ending up on the bottom of the container. It's the same principle you use for steak and other meats.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Ha Ha. YW.

Seriously, I know burgers. My younger daughter and her friends drive almost an hour from Ft. Myers to come up to my house for dinner. They ask me to make burgers and say they are the best they have ever eaten. That's praise an amateur chef loves. When your kid and her friends repeatedly ask for burgers, you know you're doing it right.

I'm not dissing your smashed burgers. They look great.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the burgers are still great. I have had and enjoyed smashed burgers before.

Ideally, with regular plump burgers, you want the burgers to rest for 5 mins. so all that juice soaks into the meat and stays inside of the burger instead of ending up on the bottom of the container. It's the same principle you use for steak and other meats.
you do realize, they are basically "resting" in the container, right. :rofl: they weren't disturbed or anything... just set in there :rofl:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom