Uh-oh Tesla

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Not really... The "problems" are really exaggerated. I live in the most Tesla congested part of the country and don't regularly experience downed chargers. That said, Tesla is like Apple in that any kind of scandal equals page views. Remember the purple flare in one of the iPhone's cameras? It didn't exist but it was a huge scandal. What about antenna gate? I owned that phone and never held it in a way that would result in it losing signal. There were few anecdotal cases of people that problem actually affected yet since you could physically replicate the problem, even if you'd never experience it, apple was forced to respond. Superchargers have a capacity problem and the older superchargers have a tethering problem in that they are paired and one car charging will reduce the paired car's charge speed. That's been eliminated with the new chargers. As far as constant problems though, I'm on the forums, I'm in the community... It just doesn't exist on any kind of scale.

so, my observation is not from tesla chargers themselves but chargers in general; i'm not sure when/why it was, but i was looking around some map sites around chicagoland and seeing complaints all over the place about things being broken. i didn't exactly have info around times it took to fix, how many people had to deal with the issue, the actual dates/frequency of the problems - but came away with the impression that for some reason the stations themselves seemed to be oddly fragile.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I will say this. The Tesla chargers are pretty good and rarely will I see a broken one. I’ve seen maybe 3 total broken in my entire charging time? They fix them fast from what I’ve seen. Again I’m in Chicago not the west coast. If a charger is down it usually shows up on the Tesla nav as reduced service.

The issue is more the 3rd party ones. Charge point, blink, etc.

The charger at the hospital where we are delivering our baby in the next week or so has charge point chargers. One has been broken for 2 months now. It’s stuff like that, that ruins the experience for you.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
So if you buy a car and beat the shit out of it for its entire life, it’ll stop giving peak performance after 96,000 miles? Ok.
Not to mention, much like early GTRs launch control, when you enter ludicrous plus mode it tells you that using it repeatedly will shorten the life of the batteries and motors. So it isn’t really unexpected.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Yea no reason to be upset here. Disclaimers all over Tesla that if you continue to beat and beat and beat on the car it will shorten its life. The car will protect battery health and range over performance.

Also not sure why they are comparing an S to the 3. Two different car classes

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Lol openly admitted to engaging the system to check on something in the back seat. What an idiot.

so what does that mean - considering there are still safeguards in place, like you have to be in the seat with a hand on the wheel right? so is it just that they were facing the wrong way far too long or is it possible they were able to get away with something much more dumb?

regardless of what the driver is doing, and autopilot or not, doesn't it have some pretty extreme accident avoidance moves it will take on its own? sounds weird that in the article they are making it sound like it just straight up drove into the rear of the cop car.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
The car will allow you to have your hands off the wheel for something like 30 seconds to a minute. The alerts get more and more annoying, eventually shutting off music and finally stopping the car.

You can basically engage the system and not touch it for 30 some odd seconds and the car will just drive. I’ll have to take a video of it sometime. Of course each time you engage it, it clearly says keep hands on the wheel and be alert at all times.

It will be interesting to see what the data logs show

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
For all we know maybe it could have been on and working properly, but was only able to change the severity of the accident, not avoid it all together. maybe if he were in a different car he would have slammed into the cop at full speed and killed himself or somebody else. It’s all speculation until we see the data.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Performance and range loss on P100D at 96K miles . Trap speed loss is :angrys00ls:

Not surprised at all.

The MPH loss would be even more dramatic the more runs he does. Things wear out, batteries can only be cycled so many times before their ability to sustain a constant voltage under high current loads diminishes due to internal resistance.

Whats happening is that the initial launch isn't demanding as much current from the battery because it still makes more torque than available traction. So the software is managing the torque by limiting the current.

As the run progresses the current demand rises the battery can't meet the demand and voltage drops. So it might still be delivering 1500amps, but instead of at 400 volts, it might only deliver 380 volts. The longer the current load goes on, the more the voltage will drop.

That said, all things said, if he replaces the battery he'll be right back to the trap speeds originally observed since the motors and controllers will still be operating near 100% original spec.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

ok i was wrong, same seats as a 2000***** yukon. my bad. :rofl:

1579024984248.png
1579025024302.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info