Uh-oh Tesla

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
No issues other than charging anxiety? You guys serious? What's Elon dick taste like?

Every higher mile used tesla I look at, interior looks like a 2000-2003 suburban raped by fat people.

How about the repair issues mentioned on this forum prior with not being able to get service? Most importantly, the only decent looking vehicle the company currently makes is the S.

X's are TERRIBLE and 3s really aren't far behind.

Lololololl

Screenshot_20191206-170111.png

Screenshot_20191206-170355.png

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Here is why I was asking range on a highway trip/road trip... I am (and my guess is, many others too), getting tired of hearing about our "excuses" and how we're running out of them (like that bingo card earlier). We still aren't to a point where an electric vehicle is as innocuous to the driving public as an "appliance" from a daily use perspective. And we aren't close to it being so for any real time soon...

You're telling me that, on the highway/road trip, you're getting ~325 miles on average on most of your charge? That's fucking terrible if I'm reading that right.

By way of comparison, my ozone depleting, dino fuel swilling, fossil ICE in my G8, has a range of 456 miles (~24mpg x 19 gallon tank). Now granted, much like you, I don't burn my tank dry like you don't deplete the battery completely, so let's realistically say, I wouldn't let it get lower than 2 gallons left... So I in effect burn 17 gallons on a trip. That's still over 400 miles of range. And that's on a fuel inefficient vehicle. I mean, imagine having something that got 35mpg or more on a similar sized tank! Shit, my POS Suburban that gets even worse highway mileage (something like 18 mpg), but has a 42 gallon tank. Figuring I use only 40 gallons of the 42, that's over 700 miles of range on a tank... You've had to stop at least TWICE (for how long?), to charge your battery to only ~80% vs. on my ONE tank of fuel... And I still have more to go before I need to stop...

But here's the bigger point... Regardless of vehicle, when I need to fill up, I can stop ANYWHERE (because there is a gas station every 20 feet), fill it to FULL (not this 80% bullshit), and do so in 5 - 10 minutes and be on my way again.

I am NOT having to plan my trip around electric stations or what days I travel due to having a backup at a charging station... I am not having to factor in excess time wasted while it's charging. If I want to leave on Christmas day, I leave... No fucks given.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Then don’t buy one? It’s not hurting our feelings. We are simply tired of these Tesla put down threads by people who don’t own them. Let alone even test driven one.

I’ve said multiple times give it a test drive. If 325 miles of range Is not enough for your daily life then it’s not the car for you.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
if you haven’t ever lived with an electric car, it’s very hard to understand. Most people don’t understand the concept of having a “full tank” every time they leave the house.

I mean I get it, long road trips are a thing and no electric car can go 450 miles on a charge, and stopping to charge does sound like a hassle, but if you keep them between like 10-80% the cars can charge pretty damn fast. Sure you need to charge more often than buying gas, but you aren’t sitting there for an hour or whatever- more like 20 minutes. And at least with a tesla you have stuff to do while in the car (YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, video games, full internet browser, etc...). If all you do is drive cross country, electric isn’t there yet. If you want to have a great DD and be able to drive cross country slightly less conveniently than a truck with a 42 gallon fuel tank, look into electric.

personally I doubt I’ll ever buy an ICE vehicle ever again (barring a weekend classic muscle car like an old chevelle or grand national someday) the furthest I ever regularly drive from home is about 120 miles, and occasionally I drive to Nashville to visit family. So if I go to Nashville I could theoretically stop 2 times to charge for like 30 minutes a stop (we like to stop in Indianapolis to eat anyway, and usually around bowling green to stretch legs), or I could make 3 stops for like 15 minutes at a time. I have to stop once for gas anyway in my car so figure that’s 7 minutes? That means the EV only adds like 38 minutes to my 8 hour trip, and honestly almost zero if I incorporate my standard Indy stop and bowling green stop. So for me it makes sense.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

Knowklew

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 5, 2014
I will say as a convert to electric that I will not be going back to ICE. I sold my Vette to get my Model 3 Performance, and have absolutely zero regrets. This thing rocks. took a 400 mile roadtrip about a month ago, it was great. Did it take me a little longer, yea. but the extra 40 minutes it took was no big deal.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
No issues other than charging anxiety? You guys serious? What's Elon dick taste like?

Every higher mile used tesla I look at, interior looks like a 2000-2003 suburban raped by fat people.

How about the repair issues mentioned on this forum prior with not being able to get service? Most importantly, the only decent looking vehicle the company currently makes is the S.

X's are TERRIBLE and 3s really aren't far behind.

I love you bruh... But WTF is with your passionate hate for Tesla? Who cares? If it's not your cup of tea just don't buy one. When I made my last response I tried to specifically say "electric cars" versus Tesla because I know the word is a trigger for some here and I don't understand that.

To touch on the rest of your post, I'm going to preface this by telling you I'm not a fan of the Model S's interior. I don't think it's particularly luxurious and I'm not a fan of the design. That said, here's three things for you to consider:

1. You're posting pictures of 7 and 8 year old cars. Any cars with the seats you posted are going to be 2012 - 2014 vintage. There might be a few 2015 stragglers but by and large we're talking 6 - 8 year old cars here. I don't think that leather looks beat up for 6 - 8 years old and who knows how many miles. It doesn't look any better or worse than any of my other cars did at that age. My A8's of similar age were all in similar condition. But even if it did look beat up...
2. Again you're posting pictures of older cars. In the early days Tesla wasn't using top tier suppliers... because they couldn't. They weren't taking them seriously. They didn't think they were going to be able to fulfill their contracts or pay their bills. So it seems unfair that you're splitting hairs over the condition of literally this company's first mass produced car EVER and even then it's something that's open to opinion. It's not like those seats are obviously horrible.

Can you at LEAST compare other cars to 2015 Model S's where they were actually able to use better suppliers and got some of the bugs worked out? Here, I'll help. To be extra fair I'm going to look at cars in Chicago that see more wear, temperature variance, salt, etc. I'm also going to sort by mileage and pick the car with the highest mileage. Here's a 2015 P85D with 83,000 miles. I think you would agree the seats look fine. Certainly no better or worse than any other car of the same vintage and certainly not bad enough to warrant comparison to an old Chevy which is objectively trash. For fun, I'll pick the next three highest mileage Model S's... Let's go on a journey and see how shitty they are inside:

50,000 miles and the interior looks gorgeous.

Here's a 2015 with the old style seats. Still looks fine.

Just for fun here's a 2014 with the old style seats and 120,000 miles. Interior looks fine.

My girlfriend had a 2013 Ford Escape Titanium. The car, like pretty much everything with a Ford badge on it, is a raging piece of shit. With just 120,000 miles it's lost all of it's oil... twice. The transmission shudders so bad under light load that the entire car shakes. The suspension is so loose I can move both front wheels back and forth on the ground by hand, resulting in torque steer so bad it grabs the steering wheel from your hand. The interior is put together so cheaply that everything has either worn, been scratched beyond repair or rattles so bad that it would require removing each interior piece and at the very least replacing the plastic clips. The car isn't worth the sum of it's parts and it feels positively disposable. I know what shit looks and feels like. I owned the early Model S and my Model 3 was 31 cars removed from the first 400 they delivered to employees in 2017 and it's fine. Your comparison, from the perspective of someone that's owned the cars in question for years and has hands on experience, is silly. But even if it wasn't, who cares? I don't care if you own a Tesla. I don't care if you like Tesla. Just make sure your arguments are based in oh I don't know... reality?

Model X, S and 3 aesthetics are all subjective as is any other car. I think the Model X looks like a Model S that someone stretched up and it completely ruins the proportions. I think the 3 looks great. It's not the S in terms of overall sex appeal but I think it looks good. But again, who cares. If someone doesn't like it nobody is forcing them to buy it. Show me on the Model S where the bad man touched you. He fingered your charge port didn't he? :rofl:

fuuuuuck that line, wow.

i have read about plenty of broke charging spots too - why is this? what makes them so damn fragile or susceptible to being out of order? and apparently left unfixed for far too long?

Not really... The "problems" are really exaggerated. I live in the most Tesla congested part of the country and don't regularly experience downed chargers. That said, Tesla is like Apple in that any kind of scandal equals page views. Remember the purple flare in one of the iPhone's cameras? It didn't exist but it was a huge scandal. What about antenna gate? I owned that phone and never held it in a way that would result in it losing signal. There were few anecdotal cases of people that problem actually affected yet since you could physically replicate the problem, even if you'd never experience it, apple was forced to respond. Superchargers have a capacity problem and the older superchargers have a tethering problem in that they are paired and one car charging will reduce the paired car's charge speed. That's been eliminated with the new chargers. As far as constant problems though, I'm on the forums, I'm in the community... It just doesn't exist on any kind of scale.

Here is why I was asking range on a highway trip/road trip... I am (and my guess is, many others too), getting tired of hearing about our "excuses" and how we're running out of them (like that bingo card earlier). We still aren't to a point where an electric vehicle is as innocuous to the driving public as an "appliance" from a daily use perspective. And we aren't close to it being so for any real time soon...

You're telling me that, on the highway/road trip, you're getting ~325 miles on average on most of your charge? That's fucking terrible if I'm reading that right.

By way of comparison, my ozone depleting, dino fuel swilling, fossil ICE in my G8, has a range of 456 miles (~24mpg x 19 gallon tank). Now granted, much like you, I don't burn my tank dry like you don't deplete the battery completely, so let's realistically say, I wouldn't let it get lower than 2 gallons left... So I in effect burn 17 gallons on a trip. That's still over 400 miles of range. And that's on a fuel inefficient vehicle. I mean, imagine having something that got 35mpg or more on a similar sized tank! Shit, my POS Suburban that gets even worse highway mileage (something like 18 mpg), but has a 42 gallon tank. Figuring I use only 40 gallons of the 42, that's over 700 miles of range on a tank... You've had to stop at least TWICE (for how long?), to charge your battery to only ~80% vs. on my ONE tank of fuel... And I still have more to go before I need to stop...

But here's the bigger point... Regardless of vehicle, when I need to fill up, I can stop ANYWHERE (because there is a gas station every 20 feet), fill it to FULL (not this 80% bullshit), and do so in 5 - 10 minutes and be on my way again.

I am NOT having to plan my trip around electric stations or what days I travel due to having a backup at a charging station... I am not having to factor in excess time wasted while it's charging. If I want to leave on Christmas day, I leave... No fucks given.

There's a couple factors at play here. The first is kind of hard to explain to someone. They really need to experience it. And that is that you're not planning your trips around chargers. If I'm going to Vegas I just plug in the destination and the car figures charging out for me. There's something like 5 chargers in between me and Vegas. The car will route me to one, tell me how long I need to be there, tell me when I am safe to leave, etc. I'm never stressed about it. For the V3 chargers you're picking up 180 miles of range in 15 minutes. Is that as quick as putting gas in a car? No but 15 minutes with kids is about how long it takes for everyone to rock a piss and pick out a bag of chips in the convenience store. And to show you how far we've come, consider that just 3 years ago that same 180 miles took almost 45 minutes and there was one charger in between here and there. Not only are things getting exponentially better but they're exponentially better exponentially quicker. We will get to a point sooner than later where charge stations are ubiquitous. Out here 76 is removing gas pumps and putting in DC fast chargers.

Another cool thing is the Tesla Metro chargers which charge at about a 1/3rd of the speed of a supercharger but are sprinkled all over places that people go like malls, hotels, tourist areas, etc. It's getting to be that you can take your car just about anywhere out here and charge it.

As far as being able to drive on Christmas, I mean again, you're talking the most concentrated area of Tesla's in the country, coming from one of the most populous cities in the state to one of the most other populous cities on the day after Christmas when everyone is traveling. Everything is a cluster fuck that day. I'm not saying it's ok. I'm just saying that you're going to have edge cases like this. It doesn't make waiting in that line any more appealing but you will not eliminate every single edge case. You just won't. And if that bothers you, stay in your gas car. But at the end of the day it all comes down to the person. For some, they won't want to adopt until it's as ubiquitous as gas and that's fine. For you, your gas car works better. Who can argue with that? I certainly can't argue with someone's preference. You value not having to worry in those edge cases. I value not having to stop at another gas station ever again. I value waking up with a full tank of gas every day. To me that far outweighs the slight inconvenience of having to stop for 15 - 30 minutes on a road trip versus 5 - 10.

if you haven’t ever lived with an electric car, it’s very hard to understand. Most people don’t understand the concept of having a “full tank” every time they leave the house.

I mean I get it, long road trips are a thing and no electric car can go 450 miles on a charge, and stopping to charge does sound like a hassle, but if you keep them between like 10-80% the cars can charge pretty damn fast. Sure you need to charge more often than buying gas, but you aren’t sitting there for an hour or whatever- more like 20 minutes. And at least with a tesla you have stuff to do while in the car (YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, video games, full internet browser, etc...). If all you do is drive cross country, electric isn’t there yet. If you want to have a great DD and be able to drive cross country slightly less conveniently than a truck with a 42 gallon fuel tank, look into electric.

personally I doubt I’ll ever buy an ICE vehicle ever again (barring a weekend classic muscle car like an old chevelle or grand national someday) the furthest I ever regularly drive from home is about 120 miles, and occasionally I drive to Nashville to visit family. So if I go to Nashville I could theoretically stop 2 times to charge for like 30 minutes a stop (we like to stop in Indianapolis to eat anyway, and usually around bowling green to stretch legs), or I could make 3 stops for like 15 minutes at a time. I have to stop once for gas anyway in my car so figure that’s 7 minutes? That means the EV only adds like 38 minutes to my 8 hour trip, and honestly almost zero if I incorporate my standard Indy stop and bowling green stop. So for me it makes sense.

I agree with all of this. I consider myself a car enthusiast. Before I turned Tesla nut swinger I'm sure people remember me jumping from M5 to 535 to A8 to 535D to 550i, Grand Prixs, Ghibli, etc. I love good cars. I can no longer justify the expense or hassle of owning another internal combustion car unless it was solely for a weekend/ toy car. I'd love to get a Cayman or *gasp* another Ghibli SQ4 when they get stupid cheap and you can pick them up in the teens. But I'd buy those knowing they're for fun.

One last point... For everyone that talks about how we're being disingenuous and that it's really a big pain to road trip in electric and so much easier to do it in a gas car I offer up a case study in the form of a 2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus with the sport package and Bang & Olufsen sound system that sounds like a dream. That car is sitting in the garage next to my model 3. In the last 6 months I've put almost 10,000 miles on my 3. That includes trips to the mountains, San Diego, etc. I've put 300 or so personal miles on the Q5. It's covered in dirt and will eventually need an oil change based on elapsed time, not mileage. If I were to continue owning it it's tires would need to be replaced from dry rot before they'd need to be replaced from worn tread. In terms of gas vehicles, I love the Q5. It drives like a dream, it's relatively good on fuel, it's comfortable and I can cram a lot of shit in it. In a practical sense, having access to both at any given time for any given trip, I have no desire to take the Q5 anywhere. Consider why that might be...

Last edited:

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel

Hold up, I call bullshit on 24mpg in a 6.0 car that weighs 4k lbs. you drive 50mph on the highway?

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I'm just going on what they're rated at. I can't say I've experienced that as I have not yet taken it on a road trip yet. What did you get driving your Caprice back to Colorado? Your L77, the only difference (from the factory) is the ability to run E85.

I will say, that the Impala, which also has DOD and is a little smaller at 5.3L, has regularly gotten 27 - 29 on the highway. Granted other things could be at play like gearing and weight, but still...

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
There's a couple factors at play here. The first is kind of hard to explain to someone. They really need to experience it. And that is that you're not planning your trips around chargers. If I'm going to Vegas I just plug in the destination and the car figures charging out for me. There's something like 5 chargers in between me and Vegas. The car will route me to one, tell me how long I need to be there, tell me when I am safe to leave, etc. I'm never stressed about it. For the V3 chargers you're picking up 180 miles of range in 15 minutes. Is that as quick as putting gas in a car? No but 15 minutes with kids is about how long it takes for everyone to rock a piss and pick out a bag of chips in the convenience store. And to show you how far we've come, consider that just 3 years ago that same 180 miles took almost 45 minutes and there was one charger in between here and there. Not only are things getting exponentially better but they're exponentially better exponentially quicker. We will get to a point sooner than later where charge stations are ubiquitous. Out here 76 is removing gas pumps and putting in DC fast chargers.

Another cool thing is the Tesla Metro chargers which charge at about a 1/3rd of the speed of a supercharger but are sprinkled all over places that people go like malls, hotels, tourist areas, etc. It's getting to be that you can take your car just about anywhere out here and charge it.

As far as being able to drive on Christmas, I mean again, you're talking the most concentrated area of Tesla's in the country, coming from one of the most populous cities in the state to one of the most other populous cities on the day after Christmas when everyone is traveling. Everything is a cluster fuck that day. I'm not saying it's ok. I'm just saying that you're going to have edge cases like this. It doesn't make waiting in that line any more appealing but you will not eliminate every single edge case. You just won't. And if that bothers you, stay in your gas car. But at the end of the day it all comes down to the person. For some, they won't want to adopt until it's as ubiquitous as gas and that's fine. For you, your gas car works better. Who can argue with that? I certainly can't argue with someone's preference. You value not having to worry in those edge cases. I value not having to stop at another gas station ever again. I value waking up with a full tank of gas every day. To me that far outweighs the slight inconvenience of having to stop for 15 - 30 minutes on a road trip versus 5 - 10.

What is this new argument (I've now seen it a couple times in recent posts), about you guys being able to sleep at night knowing your car is fully charged.

I've never lost sleep at night knowing what my ICE powered vehicle's state of fill is on the tank at any given point in time. :D

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
What is this new argument (I've now seen it a couple times in recent posts), about you guys being able to sleep at night knowing your car is fully charged.

I've never lost sleep at night knowing what my ICE powered vehicle's state of fill is on the tank at any given point in time. :D

it’s hard to imagine for most people having a full tank of gas every day without stopping at the gas station. Unless you live with it, you don’t understand how nice it is

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I can say it is nice not having to go to a gas station a few times a year with the volt.

Still, maybe in a few years when there are better looking SUV’s that are electric and can do everything my Durango can do without costing six figures or close to that, I’ll probably jump ship.

Really want an S, but, I need room for 6 people fairly often and even used they are still pricey.

Built one the other day and without incentives for the long range model with the 21” nice wheels it was over 100K excluding TTL. That is a lot of money and the gas savings would take a couple of decades to pay back before it makes the car worth it IMO.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I'm just going on what they're rated at. I can't say I've experienced that as I have not yet taken it on a road trip yet. What did you get driving your Caprice back to Colorado? Your L77, the only difference (from the factory) is the ability to run E85.

I will say, that the Impala, which also has DOD and is a little smaller at 5.3L, has regularly gotten 27 - 29 on the highway. Granted other things could be at play like gearing and weight, but still...
I think I juuuust squeaked 20mpg average. I don’t drive slow on the highway though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info