Turo Issue

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
So rented a Camaro through Turo for this week while the wife and I are in the keys on vacation. Flew into Miami and drove down to key colony beach.

Now about 10 miles from our condo the car gets a flat. No idea from what don't see a nail or anything. So I limp the car to our condo since it has run flats and no spare(ok'd this with host). Now dealing with Turo they want to schedule a tow. But of course the closest tire shop doesn't open till 8am Monday(today). Schedule the tow for 7 and I don't have a car for the rest of the day Saturday or Sunday.

This morning rolls around and no tow shows up. I call the tow place and they don't know what I'm talking about. Turo messages and asks if its been picked up which I reply no and I get an ETA of another 30 minutes. 30 minutes later it is pushed another 30 minutes.

Calling Turo they transfer me to cancellations to maybe get me a different car. But, can't cancel while the car is in my possession. So now 8:15 tow place rolls up and takes the car.

Call Turo back and I have to chat with the service quality team through a web chat. Click the link and it says they are closed.

Am I in the right to be pissed here? I'm paying 110 a day for a car I can't drive.

The host has stayed in contact with me through this but he hasn't dealt with this before either so he isn't sure of the process.

Maybe this is the downside of using Turo and not a car rental company?‍♂️

Either way this is pretty frustrating and I'm hoping I get some money back for the times I'm not able to use the car.

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
Also this is how the rears are. Owner should have probably replaced them before renting this thing out

20210613_113704.jpg

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
You're doing too much leg work and being too accomodating IMO.

Step 1: rent car from an actual rental place
Step 2: Tell turo the car is in the parking lot of "x" hotel, come get it whenever you want. BTW here's a pic of the rear tire that is CLEARLY unsafe for use, i'm not paying a penny for this and have already notified the credit card company
Step 3: enjoy the rest of your vaca

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Damn that sucks.

When we were in Orlando in February, we made reservations at r Dollar rental, I can't remember. Plane landed at 9:45/10 PMish and get in a LONG LINE of people waiting for cars, the rental place had no inventory. We ended up paying nearly triple for an Enterprise car compared to what we reserved at Dollar. Wife was looking into trips again this summer and she heard/saw that most car rental places have inventory issues right now. Not sure if it's a combo of Covid/lack of chips for cars.

Reactions: radioguy6

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Damn that sucks.

When we were in Orlando in February, we made reservations at r Dollar rental, I can't remember. Plane landed at 9:45/10 PMish and get in a LONG LINE of people waiting for cars, the rental place had no inventory. We ended up paying nearly triple for an Enterprise car compared to what we reserved at Dollar. Wife was looking into trips again this summer and she heard/saw that most car rental places have inventory issues right now. Not sure if it's a combo of Covid/lack of chips for cars.
I've heard that a lot of Carvana's purchases are going straight to rental companies due to low inventory.

Reactions: The Beast

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Damn that sucks.

they sold off fleets last year when no one was traveling, then the chip shortage hit, now struggling to get new cars and having to buy used.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Holy cripes, is that car running sTaNcEd CaMbEr???

That sucks, I was looking into Turo when I was planning my Colorado trip and at the end of the day the lack of being able to utilize my CC's insurance protection, having to buy Turo's insurance coverage, and the inconvenience of getting the vehicle outside of the airport; it just didn't make sense to me. Came off as too much of a hassle. I agree with Chet Donnelly Ryan02Stang, have them make it right and if they don't I would dispute the charges with your CC company.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Note to self...never use Turo :oops:

Make sure to send those pics to Turo customer service and have them on hand in case you need to put in a dispute with your credit card company. I would be angry too if I received a rental car with tires in that condition. That car was flat out dangerous. You would have been screwed in a rain storm.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Holy cripes, is that car running sTaNcEd CaMbEr???

That sucks, I was looking into Turo when I was planning my Colorado trip and at the end of the day the lack of being able to utilize my CC's insurance protection, having to buy Turo's insurance coverage, and the inconvenience of getting the vehicle outside of the airport; it just didn't make sense to me. Came off as too much of a hassle. I agree with Chet Donnelly Ryan02Stang, have them make it right and if they don't I would dispute the charges with your CC company.
Every time I've used Turo, I was covered under my personal auto policy. Have things changed?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info