• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Turbo LS4 with 4T80-E build.

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
Hi all, I wanted to give you guys a long overdue update!
I solved the flexplate issue by talking wtih Meziere. They were willing to create a custom plate for me. The first one had some issues with the crank bolt pattern. They remade them for me... they were still off a bit, but this time it was on me. They sent me the technical drawing first, and my builder didn't double check it, because he said "It's an SBC crankbolt pattern... how can they have the measurements wrong?"

So he's going to have to modify it a touch, but it'll work.

The torque converter was another issue. My builder wanted to make sure it was one with a billet cover, he was worried about ballooning and it coming apart... right behind my back. Precision didn't make a 4T80 with a billet cover, so they put 4T80 internals into a 4T65 torque converter, which is a little smaller in diameter, so it's going to "spin up" faster.

The 4T80 solenoids and shift/gears are the same as the 4L80, so we'll be able to tell the 0411 PCM that's what it's running, and it'll handle it properly.

The engine cradle had to go full custom, so it's being made out of chrome moly.

I've seen a few other posts here were people cross-link posts to other threads, so I'm going to hold off on doing that, because I don't want to be a jerk. If it's okay, I'll post up a link.

Reactions: RICH17

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
Hey guys! I know it's been a while, I am on various forums all over the place (where ever there is good info, I usually have an account! :) ).
The project is still on-going, it has evolved, as they usually do. We wound up moving away from the SBC and going with an LS4, because we realized the costs to build up the SBC for the power we are aiming for was more expensive than building up the LS4. Sadly, this also made the custom flexplates I got from Meziere unusable. However, they have one for my new setup, we just need to take some measurements to confirm once we split the engine and transmission back apart again.

Progress is slow in the colder months, not enough room in my friends garage to have the car in there to work on for what we have left (once it gets to wiring, it'll be a different story), and welding in the cold is never a good thing.

The new chrome moly engine cradle is tacked together and supporting the drive train, suspension and brakes are done, power steering setup is done and working. Still a lot left to go though.

I can post pictures or replicate posts from other thread here, or if it's easier (and not going to cause any issues), I can post the link to the thread starting about the time we decided to go with the LS4.

In the meantime, I shall go back to lurking!!

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
Hey guys! I know it's been a while, I am on various forums all over the place (where ever there is good info, I usually have an account! :) ).
The project is still on-going, it has evolved, as they usually do. We wound up moving away from the SBC and going with an LS4, because we realized the costs to build up the SBC for the power we are aiming for was more expensive than building up the LS4. Sadly, this also made the custom flexplates I got from Meziere unusable. However, they have one for my new setup, we just need to take some measurements to confirm once we split the engine and transmission back apart again.

Progress is slow in the colder months, not enough room in my friends garage to have the car in there to work on for what we have left (once it gets to wiring, it'll be a different story), and welding in the cold is never a good thing.

The new chrome moly engine cradle is tacked together and supporting the drive train, suspension and brakes are done, power steering setup is done and working. Still a lot left to go though.

I can post pictures or replicate posts from other thread here, or if it's easier (and not going to cause any issues), I can post the link to the thread starting about the time we decided to go with the LS4.

In the meantime, I shall go back to lurking!!

Please do! Last night I started planning for an eventual LS4/f23 swap, would love to see pics and progress.

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
Thanks!

Here is a link to the thread, starting with the post around the current build.

JFrost, if you have any questions about the F23 in general, I've got a lot of info scattered about. FieroGuru also knows it pretty well, and the LS4.

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
The title of the thread is misleading, that thread started years ago. I probably should have started a second build thread, but some people on that board keep them all together to show the 'evolution' of their build.

I AM going with the 4T80E. Just not using the SBC I had. I managed to sell my old cradle and the drivetrain (SBC/F23) for a little money. Not enough to make back even the hardware investment, but we know that most cars are a 'losing' investment. lol

So it's an LS4/4T80E build now :) That first post I linked, as you scroll down, you'll see when we were first looking at mating the 4T80 to my SBC... then later on the change over to the LS4

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
Holy smokes this forum software is super friendly and awesome. Very few forums let you edit the thread title once it's done! I just checked for giggles and saw it let me!!

so I've updated the thread title to more accurately describe what's going on with it now.

If anyone is interested, I can start doing some summaries with pictures over here. I'm pretty excited, we're getting near the end of the journey. Exhaust should be back from Jet Hot soon, cradle is back from the powder coater, there's still a fair amount of wiring left to do.

Highlights:
98% of all mechanical and fabrication stuff is done (need to modify the decklid hinges still).
We went with a FAST ECU and TCU
Made a custom bracket for the accessories (kept the stock A/C compressor, switched to a different alternator from PowerMaster)
Air to Water setup is done, minus running the last hoses.
New tires on the daily driver wheels.
Engine was all checked out from the machine shop, 799 cast heads had a light port and polish job. Trunions upgraded.
So. Many. AN fittings. So many.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Holy smokes this forum software is super friendly and awesome. Very few forums let you edit the thread title once it's done! I just checked for giggles and saw it let me!!

so I've updated the thread title to more accurately describe what's going on with it now.

If anyone is interested, I can start doing some summaries with pictures over here. I'm pretty excited, we're getting near the end of the journey. Exhaust should be back from Jet Hot soon, cradle is back from the powder coater, there's still a fair amount of wiring left to do.

Highlights:
98% of all mechanical and fabrication stuff is done (need to modify the decklid hinges still).
We went with a FAST ECU and TCU
Made a custom bracket for the accessories (kept the stock A/C compressor, switched to a different alternator from PowerMaster)
Air to Water setup is done, minus running the last hoses.
New tires on the daily driver wheels.
Engine was all checked out from the machine shop, 799 cast heads had a light port and polish job. Trunions upgraded.
So. Many. AN fittings. So many.

We are interested, more input please.

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
Cool! Thank you for the interest! Okay, so I'm going to go through my build thread and post/edit some choice updates here, and try to consolidate stuff. The donor car is an 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT. Hopefully the other forum wont' mind the 'hot linking'. If they do, I'll have to move images to my host.

The first thing a lot of people ask is "what are your goals?" We want to get 800+ HP and Torque to the wheels. The T7576 Turbo should be good for that. With the exhaust the builder fabricated (his name is Mike), he says that'll be the choke point with the crossover, but he did account for it to where we can open that up if we need to.

Long term, this is a "Show and Go". Some folks build for the track, and that's their focus. A few guys do track and a nice paint job. I want to do it all. Nice paint, custom interior, and performance. Expensive and time consuming, and will be done in stages. Especially since there is a fair amount of custom body work I want done. That being said, here's some shots of the interior.

With my last Fiero (SBC with a 5 speed), the current builder said he liked it better than he thought, but hated the suspension. He thought we could take the entire suspension from a C5 Vette and marry it to the Fiero. In the front, he managed to put in the entire front C5 cradle. In the back, is the custom cradle with the Fiero suspension (control arms, knuckles, etc) connected to it.

There is a guy in the Fiero community that is excellent at making aftermarket exterior pieces and gorgeous interior custom swaps, and gives the customer a wide variety of options to suit their budget. The interior I went with, he calls his "G1", and it adds a provision for a glovebox, as well as double din space for a radio.

I got the leather upgrades, because screw vinyl. He did put an extra pad on the arm rests to reduce wear on the leather.

He's been great about sending me pictures with updates as the work progressed.

What I ordered:

Dash kit
Solstice dash vents
G6 glove box
Shifter boot
Dash upholstery

Door panel kit
Door upholstery
Optional insert diamond stitching
Leather upgrade, black
Armrest upholstery

And it all looks STUNNING.

Trinten080419a.JPG

Trinten_061619a.JPG

Trinten081119b.JPG

Trinten081819c.JPG

Mike figured out all the geometry in the back, to make sure it was going to mimic the C5 Vette. A vexing item was that the Vette rear suspension mounting points aren't level, they are angled, the front of the mount is lower than the back of the mount. So the end of the lower control arm is "clocked" to be level with this canted setup. This meant he had to find a way to closely replicate that in the space we have, without having to worry about binding up the ball joint, and still being able to build secure mounting points.

He is finally happy with the outcome, and after slapping on (one of the old tie rods that will be replaced), was even happier, there was only one point where the wheel 'twitched' along the path of travel from his first tie rod placement, and he wants to get rid of that, effectively eliminating bump steer.

reardrvrfinalmounts.jpg

As far as wheels go, all of the C5 stuff I bought came with the chromed spoked wheels. But I wanted a set for the track, so I started looking into Z06 wheels. I spent... way too much time... reading on the Vette forums, finding wheel weights, seeing what fit (yes I know, other applications, might not apply here, etc etc), and seeing what style I liked. I *ALMOST* bought some C7 Z06s that were for sale in a Vette forum super cheap... and wondered why they weren't gone... then googled and saw there was talk of Vette owners doing a class action because those wheels were failing all over the place.

So as I narrowed down my list, I found a set I liked the look of, and are super light. 2001 Z06 wheels. The guy had them for a number of years sitting in his basement, he had put HREs on his Vette. The price I got for these was awesome. There were single wheels, in much worse condition, selling for more than the relative price per wheel I paid. Anyhow, here they are! Mike said he wants to get them to fit... if we can't, I know I can resell them and make a profit. 17x9.5 and 18x10.5s

frontrearnewwheels.jpg

newwheelset.jpg

They fit and clear, just as they do on the C5, they just stick out a little further than the stock Vette wheels (Which stick out some).

Oh! So going back to a much older conversation Mike and I had... he said "How loud do you want this to be?" to which I said "I want it to be as quiet as possibly without it seriously impacting performance." "So like my Grand National?" "Exactly." which sounds nice, but isn't obnoxious until you jam on it. Basically the history here is, when I first got my last Fiero with the V8... there was no exhaust system. At all. Effectively straight pipes. So it was horribly loud and headaches ensued with even short drives at low speeds.

And here is a shot of my turbo. Oh, when I mention Mike's Grand National, he has a gorgeous Grand National with a Stage 2 motor that he built up, and made other mods, and scored retired NASCAR parts for it (like their billet kryptonite lightened crankshaft).

turbo1.jpg

It's a Precision Industries 7675 ceramic ball bearing T4 .81 A/R anti-surge cover something something... something. Turbocharger, I think?
biggrin.gif

Here is a picture of the stock wheels sticking out on the finished rear suspension.

finishedsuspensiondriverside.jpg

Now with that done, Mike slapped the wheel on, so we can see what the 9.5" wheels will look like on the back.

rearwheelfinalposition.jpg

Mike has gotten the radiator to a place where he's happy. The new build car didn't have a condenser in it, thankfully I had a new one sitting in a box over there (I've had it for a few years, because of course I did).

Now as some might know (I didn't! Mike educated me), the condenser mounts by screwing into these rubber mount things. Which were just wrecked. So Mike made a small cut so he could put in a J-hook. I think I asked about vibration. I don't remember what Mike said, so not going to put words in his mouth. But he's building my car with the same care and eye to dependability that he's put into his prize Grand National, so I'm comfortable with whatever he said.

condenserjhookmounts.jpg

The AFCO radiator came with mounts designed to go into a completely different car. Mike felt bad about slicing into a pristine unit, but with the mounting brackets it had, it was about a half-inch too wide. Mike had a better idea for mounting it anyway, so off they went!

Brand new.

afcoradiator.jpg

Mounts and a shot underneath

newradiatormount1.jpg

newradiatormount2.jpg

radiatorunderside.jpg

I also asked Mike if he can build a skid plate with support bars going to the frame, to protect the radiator from dips, speed bumps, etc and help with ducting, he said yes. He wanted to put more weight up front anyway... so this helps!

I also sent off five (in total) GT steering wheels to be restored and re-wrapped with leather. One of them was done up in stock Indy colors for Mike's Indy build he's prepping for. Another is for a friend of a friend in the community. The remaining two spares... I don't know what I'll do with them. Probably coat one in a good leather protector and put it in a bag and keep it in the house where it's temp controlled. Maybe years down the road, when these are hens-teeth rare, I'll be tempted to sell one.

Here's a pic of one of mine.

recoveredsteeringwheel.jpg

My TIAL wastegate also showed up. It's a 60mm. Mike wanted me to get a 50, but they don't make a 50, it was 44 or 60. Since my turbo has an anti-surge cover, the 60 should be okay. At worst, I'll sell this one and get their V44.

tialwastegate.jpg

UPDATE HERE ^ That wastegate was physically too big for the spot Mike wanted to put it, so he bought a 44 to install. I don't have pics of that.

Now for the low of the recent efforts. I bought the replacement carpet for the car from ACC. Keep in mind the interior has been out of this car for a long time, and I made the mistake of assuming the carpet that Mike pulled out hadn't been tampered with by the previous-previous owner. In hindsight, I realized they would have during their misguided subwoofer escapades. Anyhow, I used the old carpet to try to template the new carpet. I'll chalk it up to exhaustion that I didn't stop to question why the new carpet was so much longer... *sigh*. Anyhow, Mike says we can fix it, and no one will notice.

SNAFU aside, I was also disappointed that the new carpet was not better molded to fit the dips and risers of the floorpan. After the carpet was put in, when you would push in certain places, the carpet would shift and not lay nicely. Granted, this is mostly by the firewall, so it's not likely to be found by accident.

Anyhow, onto some of the pics of my first attempt at carpet replacement... I'm debating on if I want to buy another set and try again. I will wait and see if we can fix it, and I'll contact ACC to see if I can buy some panels of the carpet for repair if needed.

carpetsnafu.jpg

carpet1.jpg

carpet2.jpg

Overall, I'm not happy with it. So I'll be buying another set of carpet to have it professionally isntalled.

Another member of the Fiero community was making some cool carbon fiber custom badges. So I put in my order. Black and red carbon fiber and pearl paint, with my original Fiero's name, and the (much niftier) Pegasus profile. Life happens, so it's taken some time for it to get done. I'm very happy with the outcome!

newemblem.jpg

Going to do a break here and work on the next consolidated post.

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
(Again, apologies if my "tense" breaks from past-to-present, going through my build thread on another board and trying to do consolidation and updates at the same time, so there's bound to be some goofs).

The easy stuff first. As Mike dug into some of the cabin wiring (messy crap from the aftermarket stereo and speakers, radio harness), I traced and removed the wiring that was left from the aftermarket alarm system. It was pretty amateur. Twisted together and bound with electrical tape. Nothing was even soldered. Mike said that some shops will even do crap installs like that because it's fast.

junkwire.jpg

While on the topic of speakers - I went to put in the new 5.25" speakers that Crutchfield said would fit the B-Pillars, they even recommended a set of adapters. The adapters didn't quite work as intended. Some of the holes are cut almost like they're for keyholes, but not orientated right. This is NOT the final setup. I'll try to find a screw with a 'shoulder' so I can get rid of the washer, or trim it down, on the side with the shroud.

bpillarwithshroud2.jpg

bpillarwithshroud.jpg

I removed the speaker shroud... admittedly by dropping the speaker when trying to get it out of the plastic. It looks like it fits better. BUT I had to put washers between the back of the speaker and the adapter plate, or the adapter flexed and wouldn't mount flush to the b-pillar!!

bpillarwithoutshroud.jpg

Onto other things!

Because all of the ECU/TCU components are in the front, and we wanted to make things as serviceable as possible, we're using Deutsch connectors at each of the bulkhead. Plus, they fit almost perfectly int his space! With a rubber grommet, they'll be snug.

wireharnessconnector.jpg

I also pulled out the brake pedal assembly from one of Mike's other Fiero's and installed it in mine (I'm converting to an auto, he's moving to a manual, and the brake and clutch assembly is mounted together), and put back the S10 brake booster. I did forget to use self-etching primer on the brake booster, and now it has ugly surface rust that sticks out in comparison to how clean and new everything else looks up there (in later pictures).

auto-brake-pedal.jpg

s10brakebooster.jpg

Mike has been busy doing mock-ups and modifying things. My awesome new radiator had to be tweaked, and will require one more tweak. The filler cap made it SLIGHTLY too tall, and it wouldn't clear the hood. He had a small piece of aluminum that was the right thickness, but had two small holes in it. He filled in those holes, removed the filler cap, and welded it over. He also modified the lower tube to clear the sway bar so it can connect up easily.

modified-radiator.jpg

We also discovered that the windshield washer tank on the 84s are smaller than the 87. I might get one of these to buy us a little more space. I got one on ebay.

tinytank.jpg

Mike has planned out where the EHPS pump will go (he used my idea of bracketing it to the steering rack and having the reservoir come up through the new "floor" he's making). With this and the smaller washer fluid tank, we knew about how big the water tank for the intercooler will be.

I took another B-pillar for mockup, so here is what the new speakers look like:

speakerfinalinstall1.jpg

Mike sold me one of his old air-to-water intercoolers. It's a Spearco unit.

intercooler1.jpg

This thing is a monster. I want to say it was around 12x12x6.

For transmission coolant lines, he had me buy copper-nickel tubing, so I'd never (reasonably) need to worry about rust.

We did finish mocking up the radiator hoses. I apparently only took a picture of the lower side test fit.

radiatorhose1.jpg

"Do you know what tool a fabricator can never have too many of?" "No?" "Vice grips."

frontcompartmentfloor.jpg

That above picture is the frame to the "removable floorpan" that'll be under the hood. It will bolt in place. That box with all the vice grips is where the battery tray will be attached. You can see the outside part of that frame in other pictures, as it's been installed for test fitting things for a while.

Speaking of test fitting! We connected the Z06 power steering cooler to the EHPS pump. The hose that came with the cooler was the correct size for that return connection. Originally, that connection was turned about 45 degrees to the left. Mike loosened the metal band (screw/worm style), and after making sure the reservoir for the power steering unit wasn't "keyed", he very carefully clocked it to where he wanted it, with the comment of "You are so lucky. Usually when people get into doing crazy mods like this, there's a lot more obstacles. The way this is all going together, it's almost like it was made for it."

He was commenting not just on the clockable part, but that the mounting points of the pump lined up with mounting points on the power steering rack, and cleared my brake booster!

pscoolerconnected.jpg

When the "floor" up there goes in, it will have a cut-out that the reservoir will peek up partially through it, to allow easy checking and filling if necessary.

Mike also had me get a brake proportioning valve. Since we were doing brake lines up front, I brought over an unopened 25' spool of stainless steel 3/16ths brake line, and a partial spool of it. I've had this since 2008, when the hard line on my '94 town car blew out, and the auto shop had to hand bend/fabricate new brake lines, because prefabs weren't available anymore.

One of the original pieces we actually were able to reuse, but it looked so lousy next to the really nice new stainless, that Mike fabbed up a replacement.

Testing fitting the bracket for the valve and one of the lines:

pvalvetestfit.jpg

And it's "final" assembly:

pvalvefinal.jpg

And lastly, in the back Mike finished removing the rest of the unneeded strut towers! There is SO MUCH MORE ROOM back there now! Mounting the turbo and other things don't seem to pose any problems now (it was possible before, but would have made some repairs/maintenance a pain in the butt -- and I'd like things to be accessible for just those reasons.)

enginebaynotowers.jpg

nomorestruttower.jpg

strut-scrap.jpg

I also ordered an LT1 Cruise control unit, so servo driven but doesn't need all the other inputs and such that came on some LS cruise control systems. This will be a "simple" matter of extending and matching up wires, and tapping a 4000 PPM feed to the unit.

This should shock no one --- I went overboard. Yes, I learned that the LS engines, including the LS4, can get into some crazy horsepower before they're at risk (Brandon Furches has a near stock rotating assembly, just aftermarket pistons. Other stuff too, but stock rods, crank, heads - excluding valvetrain).

So, when a guy that is competitively racing with his LS4, and has dyno'd out over 800 HP, is running on stock internals... why didn't I?

The simple answer is, I am more than happy to throw money at the engine to help reduce the chance of it grenading. I don't have the tools, skill, or knowledge of people in the community that modifier their cars themselves and have crazy tool sets handy. And as interested as I am in cars and like to learn, I have limited free time. So if something on this car goes sideways, I want it to be something that even a novice like me can look at it and go "Oh. That's broken!" bust out my impact and other hand tools, take it off, order a new one, and put it on.

Which means the engine has to be fairly bullet proof. Not only for the hassle of taking it out, but diagnosing it, tearing it down, fixing it, etc.

So, here is what I bought for the LS4

A NOS 24x crankshaft (I managed to track one down after MUCH googling and emailing).
Forged 6.125 connecting rods (yes, they are a touch longer, Mike said that even that tiny bit of extra length is worth it)
D.S.S FX-Series forged pistons (yes, I bought the right ones to compensate for the longer rods -- I did my homework!)
CompCams 232/234 duration @ .050" and .595/.598 lift with LSA of 112
Appropriate dual springs with tool steel retainers with a max lift of 0.675
LS7 Hydraulic rollers
DOD Delete stuff
Mahle and Calico bearings, all coated with a variety of stuff depending on which bearing it is.
Katech C5-R single roller chain
Chain dampener (the chain tensioner that was in the engine was in pieces. Apparently that's a hit or miss thing.)
Melling high pressure, standard flow oil pump
New oil pickup tube girdle (the two bolt style)
ARP bolts as far as the eye can see....
I scored on a "inexpensive" set of D585 coils.
Trick Flow Specialties 5/16 in. Diameter, 7.475 in. Long, 4130 Chromoly, 0.080 in. Wall pushrods
Snake Eater 1400cc Injectors (made for them by Bosch!)
All the gaskets, of course... but that's normal stuff.

OH! That brings me to something awesome Mike did on his Grand National and that he's going to do on the Fiero. He went and found a flex fuel sensor, put it in his Grand National, tuned it (he's running FAST XFI, same as me)... and it now runs like a flex fuel vehicle. Since that Brandon guy was running E85 when he put down his 840 HP, I figured flex fuel was the right way to go for me, too. So Mike agreed. So I have a NIB flex fuel sensor and a metal bracket for it.

Here is the work the machine shop did on the engine:

Hot tank the block and heads, clean all bolt holes/threads
Magnaflux the block
Check the line bore (it was perfect)
Check the deck of the block and heads (minor issues on both)
Install cam bearings
Balance the rotating assembly (they also said they could fit and file the piston rings for Mike, he said that was a time saver for him, and tedious, so they did that)
3-angle valve job
Light porting/polishing to clean up any casting imperfections
Install all the new hardware into the heads

When Mike picked everything up for the shop, he started putting together the engine. As he is uber professional, and I am uber paranoid, he started by checking all of the work the engine shop did, and then start checking tolerances/clearances. This meant things were going to gether and coming back apart a few different times.

He is happy with everything he's found so far. He said the ring gap the shop put on was perfect, it was gapped to where he would have put it if it were his car.

Piston to valve clearance is excellent, no concerns there, even after the machining that was needed.

Here are the pictures he sent me. Oddly, only two came through at "full size", the others came through already greatly reduced in size. Camera phones and MMS are strange.

Some pictures of the bare block!

LS4bareblock.jpg

LS4bareblock2.jpg

Here is a pic of the new-old-stock crank I got!

LS424xcrank.jpg

My spiffy new camshaft and spec sheet.

LS4camshaft.jpg

LS4camspecsheet.jpg

A couple candy shot ofa piston and rod

LS4pistonandrod.jpg

LS4pistonandrod2.jpg

The coated bearing

LS4CoatedBearings.jpg

Now for pics with things installed at different points!

Some pics of the main caps being fitted (ARP studs, of course), and then the crankshaft installed.

MainsWithARP.jpg

MainsWithARP2.jpg

LS4BlockWithCrank.jpg

LS4BlockWithCrankAndMains.jpg

A close up of the cylinders

LS4Cylinder.jpg

LS4Cylinder2.jpg

Some pictures of the block with the rotating assembly fully in there.

LS4rotatinginstalled.jpg

LS4rotatinginstalled2.jpg

LS4rotatinginstalled3.jpg

LS4rotatinginstalled4.jpg

Some pics of the heads, valve springs, and the head on the block.

LS4heads.jpg

LS4valvesprings.jpg

LS4valves.jpg

LS4HeadonBlock.jpg

The Trunnion upgrade is "shoulderless" trunnions (apparently stock trunnions have these little shoulders that can break from extreme forces). It also has captive rollers, which is one of the pieces that can pop out of whack and cause all sorts of headaches!

The bottom end is all torqued down. The upper end is all loosely bolted together for fitment checks and what not.

Also, the cam bolts are not ARP! GASP! I could have sworn I bought ARP cam bolts... maybe this is one of those things that Mike talked me out of. Or I didn't think about it. Or because this is a loose bolt-together, Mike hasn't installed them yet. Hmmm...

Anyhow! In addition to the pictures below, Mike also did some work on things for under the frunk, including mocking up the water/ice box for the intercooler.

The rockers with the new trunnions installed, rockers loosely bolted into place.

trunnion-upgrade.jpg

My spiffy Ka-Tech chain installed, with the new chain damper to prevent 'wrap around'.

katech.jpg

The Oil Pickup Tube, with the addition bracing hold down.

oilpickup.jpg

oilpickup2.jpg

And this really awesome setup from FueLabs. Great pre-sales support. I told them what I was running, what my max demands were going to be, etc. They were really cool, wrote back and recommended a pre-pump filter, a pump, a post-pump filter, and a damn spiffy electronic fuel pressure regulator that can slow the pump down when it doesn't need the demand, helping reduce wear on the pump.

I ran their recommendations past the fuel injector company, to make sure it would meet their standards (Especially around filtering, I was concerned it would be a choke point with E85), and got their thumbs up, too. They said the surface area of the outlets on the filters would definitely allow enough through.
So that being said, here's the fuel setup:

FUELAB 828 Series Inline Fuel Filters 82823-1
FUELAB Prodigy Fuel Pumps 42401-1
FUELAB 818 Series Inline Fuel Filters 81833-1
FUELAB 529 Series Electronic Fuel Pressure Regulators 52902-1

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
Thanks!
So at this point, there have been very few changes in the roadmap through execution. I can either post up all my relevant posts as they were for the "timeline" view, or I can try to consolidate things. For example, spread across a few posts (and a couple of months), is the difference from when the ice water tank was first mocked up, to when it was finished and powder coated.

I can certainly shorten things up by trying to recombine the posts. But it might take me a while. It's a bit of a novel, and I'm not an editor. :)

I leave it up to you guys on how you'd like to see it. The condensed, or unabridged? lol

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
Okay, yeah, all of the pics I took will stay in. And I'll obviously skip the posts that were just chit-chat stuff. A few times people asked good questions, so I'll work on making edits to put that stuff in. So I don't flood people with update notifications, I'll probably put up one post a night, or combine any back-to-back shorter posts.

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
A'right a'right a'right...
/Mcconaughey impression

LOL okay, there will be some various bare engine and assembly pictures in here! In this "recap", it covers taking out the original SBC/4T80 combo, and getting the LS4 in.

Mike had finished disassembling the whole front setup so we could clean everything, and put some parts aside to be powdercoated (brackets, calipers, caliper brackets... water tank will eventually go, there will be other trips).

So here are some pics, some of these are from the week before last.

First up, some pics of the water box! Mike had to do a lot of test fitting and mock up for this, he wanted to use as much room as possible, so it has a 'tail' that will go below the 'floor' in the frunk. Obviously not finished yet.

A2Watertank1.jpg

A2Watertank2.jpg

A2Watertank3.jpg

Next is where I'm kicking myself a bit. I just jumped into starting to clean stuff when I realized.... I didn't have a "before" pic. Not that everything came out looking brand new, but it did come out looking significantly better!

cleaningcradlearms1.jpg

cleaningcradlearms2.jpg

cleaningcradlearms3.jpg

cleansteeringrack.jpg

Then here is the new lowering spring pad bolts we got for the front:

loweringspringpad.jpg

and last pic is part of the first batch going out for powdercoating! I took this before we had everything together. And some things can't go yet (stages!)

powdercoatbatch1.jpg

So Mike is a direct guy, if he has a problem with you, he tells you. His Grand National is awesome, and a few years ago, he agreed that I would get first right to refuse if he ever decided to sell it. He probably won't, but still. Same goes for me and my Fiero.

To show how seriously he took that agreement, which happened a few prior to this next bit. He looked at me and said "I want you to give me the same courtesy that I gave you." I immediately stop in shock, thinking I did something super offensive, and just stare at him while my brain is spinning. And he waits a moment and says "If you ever decide to sell the Fiero, I want you to offer it to me, first. I'm building this like I would build it if it were mine, and the more we do, the more I like it." At the explanation I relaxed and laughed and agreed.

He put in a little "distributor" plate in the ice/water tank, so when the water sprays up into the tank, it'll hit that and scatter out, mixing in more with the existing water. Then we filled it with water and checked it for any leaks. There were a few pinholes he hand to take care of. He was hoping it'd hold 6 gallons, I guessed 4.5. With about an 1.5" of gap at the top, it held 5 gallons. He set it up overnight to make sure there were no more drips, and there weren't!

weldedtank1.jpg

weldedtank2.jpg

weldedtank3.jpg

weldedtank4.jpg

Of the few things I could do yesterday, I took the heatshields off the exhaust manifolds (I wanted to have these jet hot coated with the rest of the exhaust, but I forgot them). I tried to get the exhaust studs off... that didn't work. Mike had to cut them off. He had to cut off the end of the manifold anyway, so he can weld on the v-band bungs. He loved how close the bung was in size to the exhaust manifold, he said I was a good luck charm when it came to fabricate. The next car he builds, he'll have me just hang out for good luck. lol

exhaustmanifold1.jpg

exhaustmanifold2.jpg

Then the last thing is I did was used the airgun and a brush attachment to get as much rust as I could off the surface of the steering shaft. Mike then painted it with an etching epoxy primer, and epoxy paint.

steeringshaft1.jpg

steeringshaft2.jpg

steeringshaft3.jpg

steeringshaft4.jpg

steeringshaft5.jpg

steeringshaft6.jpg

The guy that is doing the powdercoating for Mike has one of those GIANT ovens (They do railings and stuff), so he was annoyed that I didn't want to powdercoat them all the same color (some stuff will matte black, so it looks stock-ish. Some stuff will be glossy black, and for contract, some stuff will be silver).

<NEXT post -- until I figure out chapters or something>

I have a habit of buying extra parts. Especially if it's not a mass produced or not-local part. And I was vindicated!

As seen in other pictures over the last year, Mike has fabricated a variety of things for my build, some structural, some to close things up (you'll see a bit more of that in the planning stages in this post), and to fit things together. Among these was the bracket for the new "Frunk floor", and the covering panels, and the bracket to hold the power steering pump.

I think I mentioned before that when we got this stuff powdercoated, Mike and I negotiated a little. He wanted the pieces that could be confused with OEM by the casual non-Fiero person to be coated in a matte black, to help keep that OEM look. And I wanted anything that obviously didn't belong to have some pop!

Now the guy that Mike was originally going to use threw a fit about the "custom colors". He apparently works almost exclusively in matte black. So Mike is using him for that, and found a "home business" guy that did the the glossy and silver bits.

So if you notice the differences in the powdercoating, you know why! Onto some pictures!

Here's a shot of the bakes, still disassembled and then assembled. I wanted them to have some contrast and pop. So the calipers are silver, and there looks like it has a light mettalic mica in it. The brake brackets are glossy black.

powdercoatedbrakes1.jpg

powdercoatedbrakes2.jpg

Then we have the other assorted bracketry in a group shot! Along with my water tank. Mike was not happy with the watertank's coating. In person it has a few 'fish eyes' in it. But still looks great for being a custom sized tank. More on that another time (the tank, not the 'eh' powdercoating on it). Mike won't be using the "home business" guy anymore because of the tanks poor showing.

powdercoatedbrackets1.jpg

So now that we had (most) of the powdercoating done, I got to start to reasseble the front cradle! Yay I helped. lol. Put the A-arms back in and the sway bar. Then Mike attached the bracket he made to hold the power steering pump, which utilized a few things on the cradle, including of the unused Vette motor mounts.

frontcradlebuild1.jpg

But wait! There's more! Here's a pic with the <i>first</i> steering pump mounted on there (I bought three). More to that story in a moment!

frontcradlebuild1a.jpg

In this next pic you'll see the pump is fully hooked up, Mike connected some longer leading wires to the correct pics we needed to jump to make the pump run, and after making sure it was running, gradually filled it with fluid and let it burp itself out.

powersteeringtest1.jpg

How we got there was the fun part. That "lower" hose you see in the picture is a custom hose. The hose which connects there on the Toyota made the MR2 Spyder 2nd Gen was ... bizarre. Probably to help keep it cool, it looked a lot like a giant bobby pin. It would have been a hassle to connect, and looked out of place.

To fix this I took the Toyota hose into a nice little company that supplies a variety of hoses, all the way up to industrial hydraulic stuff. I stopped by with the toyota hose, and said "I need a hose with these ends, and (however long it was, I don't remember right now. Maybe 15 inches)." This was early in the year, maybe even late last year. (the steering rack side just required a M2M adapter).

15 minutes and 45 dollars later, I had said hose! I left. Thankfully I asked for the Toyota hose back! Fast forward to last Saturday. We got to attach the hose... and the side that fits to the pump will not tighten down enough for the flared end to sit securely. It would have just leaked. Sadly, we discovered this too late to go to the hose place!

This morning, I throw another one of the pumps in the trunk with the Toyota hose and the hose they made. I go in there, explain the situation. The guy asks if it was okay if he chopped up the Toyota hose and used the fitting. I agreed. He asked if I wanted him to cut off the end on the hose they made, and put the new end on, losing a little bit of the hose length. Uncertain of the tolerances, I opted for a full new hose.

One hour and 61 dollars later, I had the new hose. He did bring the fitting out before construction and we made sure it was sealing on the pump. Huzzah!

So back at Mikes, we get everything setup, and before we put in fluid, Mike wanted to make sure the pump works. We jump it... it makes a single little stutter and stops. Mike taps it with a hammer, we try again. No joy. Tap, try, tap, try. We double check out wiring diagram.

I remind him I have the spare in the trunk from my trip to the hose place! We get that, move the connectors over... it hums to life! So a little swap-around later, another dry test, then careful filling and running of the pump. Mike then turned the steering input shaft this-way-and-that a little as the pump ran, just to work out some of the air. He was amazed at how quiet it was, but we could see the fluid circulating through. No leaks! And this is why I buy extras.

The pump looks like it might be rebuildable, and at the very least the 'control box' unscrews, so I have spare parts. ((Updated. The pump is apparently NOT rebuildable))

Alright, so onto other things!
One of the yet-uncoated parts is a new 'shroud' that Mike made for the 'frunk'. This will close a gap from the front sheet metal down to the new 'frunk floor'.

uncoatedshroud.jpg

uncoatedshroud2.jpg

We also did some other test fitting with the powdercoated support frame of the new frunk, where the water tank for the intercooler would mount, battery track and the ECM bracket. The 'red dot' you see is to represent a hole that exists in the frunk floor (also still needs to be coated), the power steering resevoir will 'float' up in that hole. Some soft rubber liner will go around the sheet metal to protect things and seal it off from water splashing up through it.

testassemblyfrunk1.jpg

testassemblyfrunk2.jpg

testassemblyfrunk3.jpg

Lastly, a picture of some of the other mounts that Mike is test fiting for the cradle, and the bits he is starting to fabricate to box-off/close up the holes in the frame that were made when cuting out the OEM mounting points!

frontmountwork1.jpg

frontmountwork2.jpg

Lastly, he did also finish the welding for the Radiator brackets (the radiator was 'final fitted' last weekend). Sadly, this weekend I noticed one of the oxide coated bolts already somehow had some rust on it (I checked my picture from last week, no rust. This week, rust). So I'll have to buy some good quality stainless to go there I guess.
smile.gif

Okay, so last update I talked about the steering setup, and took a pic of some of the custom-piece welding that Mike is doing to close up the frame where he cut off the old mounts. You'll see a lot of unfinished welds, or spot welds. Mike wanted to make sure the frame would be at least as strong as stock, if not stronger. So welding in metal and the positioning of the new mounts for for the upper control arms and the steering rack, plus the tightly fitted metal fill and frame-closing metal, it'll be pretty tough!

frameweld1.jpg

frameweld2.jpg

frameweld3.jpg

newrackmount2.jpg

newrackmount.jpg

And here is a picture of the steering rack in a final test fit, making sure everything lined up where it was supposed to!

final-test-fit-rack.jpg

And also found the sunroof has another small leak, this one is from the seal just being too hard and shrinking some. I noticed a slight dampness in the car, and then noticed that pine needles had worked themselves under the glass. That's pretty impressive!
So when I replace the rails with the awesome stainless steel ones I have, I need to get another seal.

badsunroofseal1.jpg

badsunroofseal2.jpg

Last I noticed something similar in the door jam seal. It's dry cracking in places. So I want to replace those, too. Which I'm sure will help keep down wind noise and other potential leak points. You may recall that the speaker in the driver side b pillar was rusting, I wonder if the slow leak on the sunroof, and potentially the door, could be the cause. ((update. I cannot find any NOS of these weatherstrips for the life of me. Some of those online "GM sites" had it listed, but don't actually have it. And most of them are really the same company, just with a lot of DBA websites)).

Okay, so all of the front-frame-related welding is done. Steering rack mounts are done, frame fill and caps are done, and steering column tunnel is done! Mike finished all of it up yesterday.

dsframerailfinished.jpg

dsframerailfinished2.jpg

dsframerailfinished3.jpg

steeringcolumntunnel.jpg

After the etching primer and epoxy paint dried, we moved the steering rack under the car again and bolted it up.

We then had an adventure with putting the new upper ball joints into the knuckles. The design of the corvette knuckle made Mike get out ALL the ball joint tools and then some. Once he pressed them out, we then sratched our heads while we hunted for the replacements. I looked in the Fieros, we both looked on the shelves and around the garage, and he looked inside his house were my awesome interior is being stored. No luck!

Mike swears he saw them recently, because he remembered how odd it was to find balljoints before realizing they were for my car. I'm of course looking for either a RockAuto box or a Moog box(es). After ~30 minutes of hunting, came my 'Eff-it' moment, and asked Mike to call the local shops to see if anyone had any. The answer was sadly predictable "we can have them for you tomorrow..."

So we had started to resign that I would need to double check to make sure I did get them, and Mike would look while he cleaned up the garage. As we started to put some things away, Mike moved a piece of cardboard that was by my brake calipers... and there they were! Serendipity!

So he pressed in the new ball joints, and we went about getting the suspension mounted.

Quick funny story. This was late in the day, so we'd been out working on things since about 10am, and this was about 4:30. We didn't stop for our usual lunch break, since we both late late breakfasts. I do not do well in heat. So I feel drained. Mentally and physically. Plus, my hearing is not the best. I go to put the tie rod end in... it won't fit.

"Mike. I think we did something wrong. Do we have these on the wrong sides? Upside down?"
"No, that's not possible."
"My tie rod is not going in, the wrong side is tappered."
There's a pause.
"The tie rod end will turn. It's upside down."
So I sigh, because it was obvious and I didn't think about trying that, and say "I'm an idiot."
Mike "Did you just call me an idiot?" my hearing didn't process it right, because I'm split with focusing on getting this done, and I thought he asked if I called myself an idiot... so what do I say? "Yes."
Now he sounds offended (rightfully so thanks to our Fawlty Towers situation) "I'm an idiot. Really?"
"Wait, what? No. I'm the idiot because I didn't think of that. I wasn't call you an idiot."

Moral of the story... if I'm going to admonish myself, do it silently! lol

Anyhow. Brakes are back on there!

brakesfinalassembly.jpg

In that picture you can see the plate that the upper control arms bolt to. It is not welded on yet. Mike wants to wait for us to get the alignment as close to done/neutral as possible first, and do so by scooting that plate around as needed. Once that's dialed in, he'll weld it in place.

Once that was done, we bolted the wheels on and lowered the front to the ground.

springpadcomparison.jpg

The top picture is back when Mike had mocked things up, and the mounting plates were just tacked into place. The front suspension still had all used stuff, including the stock adjustable spring pads. So I bought a new set of 'lowering' spring pads, which are advertised to bring the Corvette down about an inch. You can see the difference that's there already.

Once everything is loaded and filled up, we figure it'll sit a little lower. It'll likely still have a crazy wheel gap at the top, but since I'll be getting some custom body work done, I don't really mind that for now.

Lastly, here's a shot from the back line!

backviewaugust.jpg

Hopefully next weekend we will have the car rolled into the garage, so the rear cradle can come out, and start working on getting the LS4 mounted!

In my next trip out, I found Mike took a few days off during the week to clean up his garage and then work on the rear suspension. When I showed up on Saturday, I saw the rear wheels were bolted on, and it appeared the car was sitting on it's own for the first time since the project started. No jackstands!

I was a little dumbstruck. I could see it, but I was having a tough time processing it. It sunk in when Mike gave the car a little push and it rolled. It was a really awesome moment for me. We decided to give the car a much needed bath, so that was done. Then Mike had me start taking apart the rear suspension on the passenger side, so he could start doing some final welding, we could mount the brake calipers, and I could replace the rear hubs.

Onto the pictures!

startofrearfinishwelds.jpg

Check out that pretty weld. When he's got the space to move, Mike welds like a machine! As we progress in the back, more and more will get it's finish welds, starting with the suspension mounting points. You can see more of it a little further down.
driverside4wheels.jpg

driverside4wheels2.jpg

Check that out! Yes, huge wheel gap, we know. This is what the custom flared fender wheels are going to help fix.

reardriversuspensionfinalfit.jpg

A shot focusing a little more on the rear tire, since we have some good ones of the front tires already in past posts.

driversideflankshot.jpg

driversideflankshot1.jpg

driversideflankshot2.jpg

In that first "flank shot" the front wheel is straight(er). In the subsequent pictures, it had turned a little as we were moving the car around. In the last shot there, you can see just how much further that rear tire sticks out. The Z06 (I think) has the same offset, or is super close, so it'll stick out ~1" more in the front and back. To hammer the point home...

thisiswhyineedfenderflares.jpg

rearshot4wheels.jpg

This is why I need to get some custom fender flares. With the few inches the wheels stick out up front, and the bigger jump in the back, my car will have an 'hourglass' similar to some Porsches. You can also see a little more of the welding/mounting coming together for the lower control arms.

passengersideflankshot2.jpg

passengersideflankshot.jpg

Plenty of tire grip!

rearbrakelinerouting.jpg

Mike was also happy with how well the rear brake lines fell into place. The Fiero stainless lines have the same style banjo fitting that GM used on a bunch of stuff (including Vettes) for ages, so, at least in the back, it just had to create some new tabs as he finalizes the hose routing, and I don't have to buy new stainless steel brake lines! And I have a coil of stainless steel brake "hard line" still, so if we need to remake anything, we can.

The rain did cause a small delay, but nothing to drastic. I'm trying to convince Chug to come out next Saturday to help Mike with pulling the cradle/engine, and getting the SBC/4T80E off, while I do tool fetching.

In the next trip, the SBC came out, the LS4 was mocked up, some tentaive mounts on the new frame were made, and we made sure the engine and transmission would go together. Another friend in the Fiero community was kind enough to come out to give Mike assistance. They worked much more effectively together thanks to their combined experience with engine swaps. I'm sure we would not have accomplished all we had if it were not for his help! I fetched tools.

We used a couple car dollies under the cradle to slide it out through the wheel well, which was pretty nice. Made things much easier.

sbcremoval1.jpg

sbcremoval2.jpg

So besides taking pictures and (sometimes) being the tool go-fer, I had the very improtant job of cleaning all the gunk off the valve covers!

dirtyvalvecovers1.jpg

dirtyvalvecovers2.jpg

We did, sadly, discover that my Meizere flexplate will NOT work afterall. The stock LS4 flex plate is 'dished' or 'stepped', to give clearance from the face of the crankshaft bolts and the face of the torque converter. My flexplate is flat. We considered using spacers between the torque converter and the flexplate, but the available space wouldn't allow it, that offset lead to other alignment/fitment issues.

So I've shot an email to Meziere with the pictures of the OEM flexplate, with some comments and explanations, and asked them if they could make me a billet one. They do have a billet flexplate on their site that has a small built in offset around the crankshaft, but I can't tell from the picture if it's "deep" enough. We had a lot of back and forth and they aren't sure. With this odd combination, we aren't sure how critical that "double step" is. The billet one Meziere makes has just one step. I don't want to spend 900 bucks on a "maybe", you know?

So for now, things are going forward with the OEM flexplate.

After that was done, and Mike had created the new mounts, in went the new setup! Again scooting along on the dollies.

ls4beinginstalled1.jpg

ls4beinginstalled.jpg

After the cradle was reconnected to the body, we put the OEM intake on to see how the fitment would be, and get an idea of spacing. It's pretty roomy! The decklid closes without any issues! There was around 2.5-3 inches of room between the intake and the 'beam' on the bottom of the decklid, and of course more room between the 'beams'.

ls4installed4.jpg

ls4installed3.jpg

ls4installed2.jpg

ls4installed.jpg

With this done, it gave me some ideas on the space I had for an aftermarket intake.

The last thing that's driving me nuts is this terrible water manifold/pulley setup the LS4 has. Look how ugly and convoluted this thing is!

terribleaccessorysetup1.jpg

terribleaccessorysetup2.jpg

I really want to get something nicer or cleaner or more minimalistic steup for this. Thankfully, Mike worked something out, which you will all see later!

Also, the LS4 (maybe all LS engines??) had a provision for an oil cooler built into the blocks! So no need for an adapter under the oil filter, just hook it up to the connections that are there! How cool is that?

Another Fiero friend (this one from out of state) was in town and agreed to help me on installing the improved Fiero window motors, dew wipes, felt pads, and putting heat/sound insulation on the front area of the cabin.

With everything apart, I cleaned everything, I took the rust off the "x" of the regulator, covered the wheels, and hit them with a little paint. I cleaned all the tracks thoroughly, and of course re-greased them (and the little roller wheels on the aforementioned x part). Mike was kind enough to tack-weld the nuts on the back of the motor plate for us.

Fierobsessed and Rodney were not joking, the new motors FLY.

Only downside, the stock assist springs are a little rusty, and they are NOISY. Like, so noisy that when we first cycled the window (before all the work), we thought something was wrong. When we put everything back in, it was still scary noisy. Checked everything, it all looked good. Took the spring out... (near) silent.

Of course, I couldn't find any NOS Fiero assist springs. But!! C2 Corvette springs have repops out there, and they do a great job!

Once all of the MANY window adjustment bolts were adjusted ("with the window in the half-way up position"... quote from the TSB on adjusting the windows). we applied blue loctite one bolt at a time. All rivets that we removed were replaced with appropriate sized/length stainless steel hardware.

Anyhow. Not much room from the valve cover and the cabin bulkhead. He also found that we will need to put on the modified decklid hinges from my last Fiero sooner than later. The accessory drive needs to come up about another 1.5", which puts the fill cap right into the bracket. Mike did say if he needs to shift the engine and transmission back on the cradle some, it can be done with minimum impact to anything. There is plenty of room between the trunk wall and the engine, so the slight shift back would just put an acceptable angle in the axles. Right now it's placed so they are directly in line with the hub opening.

There is also no cleanup yet on the bulkheads. Mike doesn't like to remove anything until he knows for sure he's not going to use it.

The rear brake lines are all done. He had to flip some brackets around. We picked up some brake line for the front, I forgot I had brought over some stainless steel line last year (left over from fixing the brakes on my last Town Car), and he's a fan of the nickle-copper stuff. He came up with some great uses of the existing bolt holes on the front cradle. He wanted to try to route it without having it bolt to the cradle, so the cradle could come out even easier (if needed). Now it'll take undoing a whole extra 4 screws. lol

Here are some pictures of the work that my friend and I (yes, I actually did some work this time!) did putting in the new Rodney Dickman motors, along with all the seals and the dew wipes. I cleaned all the tracks, cleaned rust off parts, helped remove rivets, used a self etching paint to protect things, and of course regreased things
He did the disassembly and reassembly. He also pulled all the crappy jute from the front area and put in the thermal/sound stuff I bought and used in the rest of the car. I am debating on if I went to put any of the fiber-padded stuff on top of it in places or not. He spent a CRAZY amount of time doing this for me, and I'm grateful.

frontbrakeline1.jpg

frontbrakeline2.jpg

Slick brake line measuring and routing by Mike, and effective use of pre-existing mounting points!

newdashinsulation1.jpg

newdashinsulation2.jpg

newdashinsulation3.jpg

rustyregulator.jpg

Rusty window regulator!

removingrustregulator.jpg

Starting to get it cleaned up. I did fully disassembly it and use a variety of brushes to clean it all.

paintingregulator.jpg

Covered up the wheels and hit it with self-etching paint in a light coat. Made sure the wheels were well greased.

newwindowmotorhardware.jpg

Used the same paint to clean up the scratches and marks from when we were getting the rivets out. You can see some of the paint was running there.
topdownfrunk.jpg

topdownfrunk2.jpg

And lastly, the completed frunk... which will now need to be redone a bit, since the bracket that Mike made for the 0411 won't be used now.

Last post for the night before I test the character limits of the forum anymore.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yea, I dislike trying to work on our LS4 with that big water pump. Such a PITA. :D

Also reading one of your last posts on the Fiero build thread, why were you having to make custom wires vs. getting some of the already manufactured LS wires from MSD, Magnacore, etc.?

And what is wrong with a Fluke 79? That's what I have, resistance is resistance. :D

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
Hey there! Thanks for following over on Pennocks, I appreciate it. To answer your question, Mike originally wanted me to buy Taylors. But the Taylor wires for the LS4 were out of stock everywhere. It seems that Taylor is in the process of being bought by Pentonix, so that might have something to do with it.

Mike was also adamant about a 10mm wire. Magnecore didn't offer one at the time. So I did some research into other wires and found Scott's Performance. I've read a lot of iffy stuff about MSD out of the box stuff, so I scratched them from the list. Scott's didn't have an LS4 specific length kit, so Mike had me buy their 'unfinished' setup, so he could make them to the length he wanted. Now in the future if I buy another set (probably from Magnecor just for testing), I know everything I need to tell them.

Nothing wrong with the Fluke at all. I mentioned it because Will (the guy who asked me to measure resistance in his build thread -- in return for me asking him) is a very precise guy, and the Fluke that Mike uses actually measures it in a different ... measurement? For example, if you say something is 1' or 12", it's the same thing, but a different measurement. That's what I mean. The Fluke displayed the measurements in one value, and I just converted it to the same measurement that Will used so it was an easy apples to apples view.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Got it. Since I didn't see any comments in posts prior, I wasn't sure. I've had Taylor's, Magnecore, MSD, etc on all my LS engines and they all Ohm out pretty close. Except for a few fried ones of course.

That center button on the dial of a Fluke can change the decimal place/measure to get more precise if need be.

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
Here is today's uber post!

ls4kingoilpan.jpg

The nifty LS4 Moroso Oil pan with the starter provision! I thought I took more pictures... but apparently I did not. It is a quality piece, but Moroso tends to make good stuff. It comes with a modified oil pickup tube, does not sacrifice oil capacity, and the starter will mount to it. When it originally showed up, it was missing the starter and oil filter plate (the pan is setup to have a plate for a screw on type or remote type filter). Brandon has always been quick to reply when I shoot him an email. While it all took some time, I have the pan, starter, and I got the remote oil filter adapter.

newwindowassistspring.jpg

I also have a picture of the new window assist spring installed. And I found sets of repop door glass, both with the original 'green hue' and the 'smoke tint' that came from the factory! I bought multiple sets....

frustratingclips.jpg

These clips! I hate them! Why did GM make so many different versions! These are the clips for attaching the rod to the lock cylinder arm. Again, thanks to Chug for letting me pillage his doors for a couple. I've tried Dorman and a few others, none fit properly.

modifiedcoolanttube1.jpg

Mike used some stainless tube of the appropriate OD and ID to modify the coolant tubes, it slid into place really smoothly given the bends! It sort of 'corkscrews' into position.

cooloptics.jpg

Speaking of that piece of pipe, check out the crazy optical illussion when I looked in that bit of stainless. I wish my camera was able to capture the image better. Do you see the innermost "concentric ring"? That's the actual opening of the tube. The rest is a stepped reflection! When looking through it with your eyes (instead of a camera) at the sky, you could see the sky reflected in the tube, it was a little trippy.

newintake1.jpg

newintake4.jpg

Here is my new intake.He's already modified the bottom of it for a sensor that he wanted to be more central instead of near the back where the factor stuff is, in addition to the other sensor ports it'll be using. It does have a light scratch on it. I wanted to send it off to be powder coated (Sumit's coated version of it had like a three month delay), but Mike said the contrast would look better.

turbodrainmount.jpg

turboplacementtest1.jpg

turboplacementtest2.jpg

turboplacementtest3.jpg

Above is a bunch of pictures on Mike working on the mount for the turbo. That tiny cut in the one is no longer there. We were using some scraps he had laying around to work on this, the tubing is all chrome moly (did you have any doubt?).

mountingplateidea.jpg

He originally made that cool plate to bolt to the side of the head, and was going to have an arm coming off from there as well as the supports coming up from under the turbo that you see above, but I think he's abandoned that part. We hung the turbo from his cherry picker so it would stay in the same relative position while he took measurements. The primary mount and drain tube is done.

intercoolerbracket1.jpg

intercoolerbracket2.jpg

intercoolertestfit.jpg

Then we have our test fit for the intercooler! It actually fits in the 'luggage' section of the trunk pretty nicely. He started mocking up brackets to hold it, the gloves are there to mimic (roughly) the space needed for the carpet and such. We want to try to install the carpet around it, and powdercoat the bracket as close in color to the carpet as possible, to give it a vague "floating" appearance. The pipes leading to/from the intercooler will go through yet-to-be-drilled holes in the trunk bulkhead. The water pump isn't going to go there, I don't think. That's just where it was sitting at the time.

Currently waiting on more stainless exhaust tube to show up. And yes, a lot of stuff looks "rough", this is because we know some changes are likely to happen, and it's easier to undo tack welds than cut full welds. It's worked out, as things went into place, we've noted where other things will need to move. The whole drivetrain needs to move back 0.25-.5" on the cradle. When everything is tacked in and fits, then powder coating and final assembly with correct hardware will take place!

-------------- next trip ----------------------

It was a chilly morning (well, whole day) here in North Carolina today. Mid-30s this morning when I got to Mikes. His garage is not (well) heated, so no welding today. Instead, we tackled a few of the smaller things.

This one, I'm going to turn into a write-up!

That's right, I'm actually going to contribute something besides commentary!

The first is, I feel we found an easy fix (your opinion may vary) for the anemic door lock actuators, especially as things get gunked up. One again, Mike cursed my good luck at random stuff working out! At least with this. The other thing we did today did not work out, more on that later.

Things you will need!

A set of these!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/p...le_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are good for 13lbs of push/pull force. They come with a mounting kit and screws, you won't need it. The screws are also wood screws, so we opted to use other hardware that wouldn't "bite" into the plastic of the housing and eventually crack it with stress over time.

Various* sized stainless steel screws, nylon lock nuts, and washers. The size we used to mount the linear actuators is 6-32 metric, 1 5/8th in length (we bought 2 inch ones and cut them down). This size slid snugly through the aforementioned mounting points on the actuators.

Tools of your choice to remove rivets!

Now, I should have taken more pictures. So apologies if this isn't quite a super great write-up. I figure the majority of people here are more comfortable with doing stuff on their cars themselves than I am.

This also can be done WITHOUT removing the outer door skin. We removed it on the first door just so we can really look everything over, but Mike installed it on the second door without taking the outer door skin off. However, he now had measurements he could just copy from door 1 to door 2, so not sure how easy this will be without taking the outer skin off at least ONE of the doors.

Here's a comparison of the two:

actuatorcomparison.jpg

1. Remove your inner door panel! Also the door handle/lock assembly fascia, so you just have a rod there.

2. Remove the rivets so you can take out the old actuator and that metal thing that mostly covers it. It should look like this when you're done:

removedrivets.jpg

3. Slide off the little linkage bar from the stock actuator. Use a screwdriver and carefully pry out the gasket at the end of the actuator (the one the bar you just took out was going through). KEEP THEM BOTH.

4. Slide said gasket onto the door handle rod, the one that runs to the fascia where you physically pull the inner handle to open the door. Pop the rod off the little slide clip thing. Keep sliding that gasket along to the "Z" bend by the power lock "swing arm" (I have no idea what it's called). Use screwdriver and carefully work the gasket into that oval space. It should look like this:

repurposedgasket.jpg

4A. You are now probably asking WHY?! WHY DO I NEED TO DO STEP 4?! Here's where it gets a little tricky. The "throw" on this linear actuator, when it's set nuetral/center, is about 1/8" too short in each direction to fully 'snap' the lock open and closed. As you all know though, that's because the "oval thing" around the "z bend" needs to travel a lot of unnecssary distance before it can "snap" the rod to the right position. Using this gasket eliminates that issue. And yes, we tested the door, and the key, many, many times. No issues.

5. This part requires some patience. You need to find the points to mount the actuator as close to 'center' as of it's throw as possible. There's a bunch of ways I'm sure this can be done. Mike didn't completely explain how he was doing it. Here's what I think was going on. Connect the rod to the actuator, then to the lever. With the oval thing center/neutral, move the actuator all the way down (extending it), so you can get a mark. Then move it fully the other way, again don't let the oval shift. Now you know the travel distance and can mark it.

6. using measurements of spacing from the mounting holes, roughly mark your bottom hole. Mike made this hole a "slider" (so adjustable). The top one is not as 'oblong' as the picture makes it, not sure what's going on there. The point is, with some adjustability in the bottom one, you can set the actuator and make adjustments for measurements on the top hole, checking things twice, etc, before you drill for it.

drilledforactuator.jpg

7. Mount said actuator! Use the aforementioned 6-32 screws, two washers (one on each side) and a nylon lock washer. Because I was paranoid, we rolled the glass down afterwards to make sure everything cleared. It does with room to spare. 3rd pic is through the rolled down glass.

actuatormounted1.jpg

actuatormounted2.jpg

actuatormounted3.jpg

8. Weatherpack! Unfortunately the wiring ends that came on these is obviously not compatiable with the OEm stuff. Get some weatherpack connectors of your choice, cut and assemble. TEST to make sure the pin orientation is right (and not "unlock button" = lock).

9. Get in the car and do more tests, do tests outside the car. Make sure you do not lock your keys in the car.

10. Put the door panel(s) back on! DONE!

And because it was so damn cold today, and Mike has a lot of firewood on his property, he rigged up a portable firepit, using an old wheel and a car dolly!

autopartfireplace.jpg

------------- Next trip -------------------------

Mike really enjoys doing electrical stuff. So he had me buy everything we'll need to wire up the FAST modules and the rest of the car (theoretically at least): 40 feet each of 9 different colors of high quality automotive wire, Deutsch connectors for the bulkheads (he dislikes the term 'firewall', from back when he was an engineer), terminators, some spiffy wire sleeving, etc etc.

So the last few weeks was him building a bracket for FAST modules, and the fuse/relay box for the intercooler water pump, fans, the FAST and the EHPS pump. Ironically, the auto parts store only had three of the 'standard' automotive relays on the shelf, so we had to get one 'micro' relay. As you'll see, it actually worked out for mockup. The normal sized one wouldn't have cleared the booster.

fusebox1.jpg

fusebox2.jpg

We tested the radiator fans and power steering pump, all worked. We were both very happy with the assist in steering from the EHPS. Once a little more wiring is done (one of us had to stand there jumping a connection for the power to get to the fusebox), I'll get a video of it working.

Speaking of the FAST modules, Mike came up with a really clever 'container' for all the fast components to fit into! There are three units here, the XFI, XIM, and TCU. Can you spot them all? Servicability is something Mike has tried to keep in mind, so though it's tightly packaged; breaking it down to get to any one of the modules is straight forward. Hopefully that won't need to happy anytime soon though.

3fastmodules.jpg

I also brought out one of my Z06 wheels for a test fit and visual check. In theory, we both knew it would fit since the suspension setup with the control arms is mimicing the C5, but it was good to test. With the arms fully dropped, there was still clearance between the upper control arm and the wheel. Same with it raised up to what should be it's maximum height.

mountedz06wheel1.jpg

mountedz06wheel2.jpg

Last update for now GLASS!!
I did manage to find a company that has some PGW Fiero Windshields left, they bought what they could back when PGW told them production was going to stop.

A few people said I should off on the windshield until I had the body work done, the probaby is the glass that was in there was looking AWFUL. I mean, look at this!

oldwindshield1.jpg

oldwindshield2.jpg

oldwindshield3.jpg

So I couldn't wait. I figure the car will on the road for a while before it goes down for bodywork, and that lousy glass was going to bug the heck out of me. So here's some shots of the new glass!

PGW1.jpg

PGW2.jpg

PGW3.jpg

So we started wiring up terminals/connectors. I emailed a few wiring places to ask about them doing stripes/spiral colors and find out minimums I need to buy. We're trying to make the wiring harnesses as close to matching the FAST wiring diagram to make any future troubleshooting easier, and they have 5 white-with-stripe wires in one of the harnesses.

AND!! I got the fiberglass cowls from Pisa!

PISA_cowl.jpg

Yes, I did say cowls (I am aware I sometimes have typos or leave out words when I'm trying to quickly punch out a post late at night). I got two of them. The second is a combo "just in case" / "might give it to a friend in need as a gift if they need it" situation. If it becomes the latter, I'll probably get another to go back into the "just in case" category.

I did read that some folks had good luck taking their old cowls and using wood blocks, clamps, etc. in conjunction with a heatgun to reshape them. I might try that with mind as it isn't damaged, just warped.

Okay! So the sunroof replacement went okay. It was still very time consuming because of some obstacles!

tape_paint_damage.jpg

That really nice sealing crash tape we used to keep water out? Yeeeaaaah. Also likes to take paint up when you peel it off! LOL, thankfully the car will be repainted. I guess I'll get some brush on "touch up" paint for now. Any recommendations on which white is the right one? Brand/part numbers appreciated!

sunroof_glass_out.jpg

drain_holes.jpg

The sunroof was removed. Look at all that dirt! And that dried out seal! The drain holes were there. Thankfully.

old_rivets.jpg

how_rivets_removed.jpg

Next was finding a way to get the old rivets out. I even put in a call to CowsPatoot, who said he didn't know of a way shy of taking the roof panel off!!

Well, that gave Mike an idea. Since the interior was all out of the car anway, he did this (very slowly and carefully)

rusted_clip.jpg

This let us fish the base of the rivets out, and get the clips that hold the sunroof tabs out, so they could be cleaned up.

sunroof_tab_clip.jpg

Mike hit them with the wirewheel and then used the epoxy etching primer on them. I didn't get a picture of it, when riveting those back into place, he used a curved pick to hold the tabs up with enough pressure to get the rivet through the tab and held in place while starting the rivet. We wasted a rivet before thinking of it.

rusted_sunroof_rail.jpg

Looks like we found part of the reason for the leak!

clean_sunroof.jpg

Okay, all rivets out, all seal and that OEM double sided tape stuff and everything else we could reasonably clean out is gone!

driver_side_rail_installed.jpg

driver_side_rail_installed2.jpg

All of the new stainless steel rails needed a little massaging to meet the curve of the roof. Obviously the driver and passenger side ones were a little easier, since they are a shorter distance and only curved up/down. Mike was careful, using wood blocks and a rubber mallet, lightly tapping the rails.

3m_super_weatherstrip_applied.jpg

We used the 3M Super Weatherstrip sealant, one of the many things I got from the FieroStore for this. I got this shot after Mike laid the bead down for the rear rail.

rear_rail_install.jpg

The rear rail took a little more gentle work to meet the curve as close as we could. I think Mike was happy after the 3rd adjustment.

front_rail_marks.jpg

front_rail_misfits.jpg

The front rail was the most challenging. Mike asked me if I had started marking anything, I said no. There were sharpie marks on the bottom of the rail that were very close to where his drill marks were on the top of the rail. He noticed them when he flipped it over after drilling a few of the holes.

The misfit you see up there was much worse at first. That was after the first or second adjustment. Thankfully Mike had the tools/technique to improve the front-to-back curve as well as the up/down curve. It was a slow process. I don't know if this is a rail that was returned when the PO realized how bad the fit was and returned them, then Rich accidently put them in the wrong bin or what. We made them work, that is the important part!

clamp_sunroof_rail.jpg

When putting the nuts on the rails, because of the adjustments in the bends, Mike came up with the solution of using vice grips and a large nut to make sure the rail was sitting flush before putting on the fastener. This was to limit the stress on the threads, as well as have confidence it was seated fully.

rusted_sunroof_tabs.jpg

Last was getting the new 'tabs' on the sunroof itself. Unfortunately, the screw started to spin with the fastener after a half turn. Mike worked his magic, using a lot of tape, a blanket, and a grinding disk, to get the head off the old screws.

new_sunroof_tab_gap.jpg

New sunroof hardware installed, you can see there is a gap there at the moment. The pieces are made to slip into one-another for a watertight fit. The powdercoating on the tabs made it a little too tight here (the plastic was deforming). Mike used a hand file to lightly clean things up, and it all fit together snugly - we still had to do some gentle persuasion.

gasket_installed.jpg

Finally, Mike got out the soft/rounded plastic tools for installing the new gasket. Unsurprisingly, in the time it took him to do as much as he could reach, I was just finishing up the short side on my end.

sunroof_installed.jpg

sunroof_installed2.jpg

Glass is back in! We had to nudge it back and forth a little to get it centered and clamped down.

First up is some of the pictures I took when Mike was measuring, cutting, and test fitting for his gas tank mockup.

We're still thinking about hookups to the two stock lines (filler neck and expansion tank). He's trying to maximize all the space he can, without cutting up that metal piece the two hoses come though. I've suggested different quick disconnect and push to connect solutions.

The hard part is finding a solution that will work with OEM fiero stuff without taking up the room to get a hand/pliers in there to put on hose clamps. The lines going from the tank to the fuel pump and so on will be much easier.

gastankmock1.jpg

gastankmock2.jpg

gastankmock3.jpg

gastankmock4.jpg

Still waiting for the metal shop to get the pieces back to Mike for next phase of mockups. This was expected, Mike did tell them it was a low priority job.

So this past weekend the focus was on wiring! Lots... and lots of wiring.

Because I went with FAST, and we were putting the modules up front, we knew we'd need to cut the wires and extend the harnesses. To make sure all the wiring was the same for any future troubleshooting, I called up FAST and asked if I could buy wire in the appropriate colors... they said no.

Well, if they don't want my money, someone else would! I went through the XFI and XIM wiring diagrams for LS, and wrote down every striped color combo... and found a great company to work with. Adiwire.com was happy to fill the order, and though the minimum was 500' per color, the cost per foot was about half if I would have been able to find and buy that much in the smaller spools.

You'll see I had a few small spools of solid color. 20Ga SXL copper strand wire. I foolishly underestimated how much wire we'd need, so I'll be ordering spools of the solid colors from ADI tomorrow.

wirecollection.jpg

My collection of wiring, so far!

xfiwiring1.jpg

Yes, this looks crazy. But Mike actually laid it all out that way to make it easy to group it.

xfiwiring3.jpg

After finishing making the bundles.

xfiwiring2.jpg

Not quite done (need more solid color wire), but mostly done with the wiring up front.

To protect all of it, I got some high quality fiberglass high-temp loom from a company called Insultherm. I got it in three different sizes. It's nice, can be cut with scissors, flexible, and highly abrasion resistent.

I have other stuff for the really high temp areas in the engine compartment.

The wiring cout up front does mean we won't be able to use just the one Deustch connector we got, I'll need to get a second one. The space Mike was planning for it will still work.

transcoolermounted.jpg

A shot of the Derale transmission cooler is mounted!
I got the wrong fittings though, so need to fix that.

fuelpumpandfilters.jpg

And lastly, the mounted test setup for the pre- and post- pump fuel filters, and the pump itself. Once everything is mounted and finalized, the mounting will go off for powdercoating.

So not a huge update, just some little stuff, some of it starting from late June (weekend before Carlisle).

Mike and I got the cradle and drive train out, and he had split them apart. He made some final adjustments on the cradle and did most of the primary welding, compared to the spot welds that had been in place. It was smart that he did that, he did discover he had to shift the drivetrain back and up a little (less than an inch in both directions). And while it was out we swapped over to the Moroso Oil pan (and modified pickup tube) and installed the starter. Also have a pic of the beta-assembly for the fuel system mounted to the cradle.

fuelmounttest.jpg

The aforementioned fueling setup. The pre-pump filter, pump, and post-pump filter. All FueLabs stuff. They have great presales support, talked with them about power goals, fuel type (flex fuel) etc, and they were great about giving me options and the pros/cons between them.

ls4morosooilpan.jpg

This is the LS4 / 4T80 Oil pan and it's accompanying CVR starter. It's a nice piece!

I also worked with ADI Wire to get a bunch of solid colors. Realized it was going to be way more cost effective to do that than keep buying smaller rolls. Plus, when it's a solid color, they don't have a minimum-length like they do with spiral-colored wire, just the less you by it changes your cost per foot. I got enough of each of the solid colors that my cost per foot didn't increase, and because there was no spiraling involved, there was no setup fee... so it was VERY affordable.

There's been more work (and pictures) since these were taken, of course. But not enough for it all to make sense in context, and I'd rather wait and get more pictures to do a more coherent story. The last few weekends Mike has been working on exhaust stuff, getting more of it mocked up, and working on the intake plumbing.

We did realize there simply wasn't enough room to go with our original 'packaging' idea, so we're going to flip the intake back around to face the passenger side. Which also means we'll need to take the torsion rods off, as they won't clear the throttle body. So that's on the agenda soon. Also means Mike needs to cook up a mounting point for the gas-strut that I kept from my Rodney Dickman setup from the last Fiero. Or another mounting solution and just need to find a gas-strut that's the right length.

We did do some of the fabrication work that I'm really excited to show off once it's finished (want the rest of the pics when it's set up for context and a clear view). I think it's going to look pretty cool, and be functional!!

Okay so Mike did some cool stuff this weekend.

I mentioned before that trying to package all of the plumbing with the intake facing the transmission side was getting tight and while possible, wasn't ideal. So the intake was going to be spun around. This still left having to modify the intake plans.

Since the intercooler was already going to occupy the trunk, Mike decided to route the intake tube through there, too.

Originally he was going to use some of the oval tube I bought, and tuck it in right below that 'bracing' point in the trunk. However making fittings to go from round to oval at both ends was going to take up more room and diminish the advantage. So he just used regular 3" tubing.

Onto the pictures!

intakerouting1.jpg

As always, Mike is methodical and likes to make fittings as clean as possible. He also wanted to make as much of the 'run' level as possible, instead of being at an 'easy way out' angle. Everything was tacked into place. Once it's all welded up, it'll be going off to the powder coaters.

intakerouting6.jpg

Mike cut out a place following the existing seems in the car to make room for the tube and plate to pass through. On one side, he used 1/8" wire, wrapping it around a metal 3" tube to form a ring, and then welded that onto the plate he formed. He made punches to create spot weld points and final welding, which we can then grind smooth and hit with self-etching primer.

This method worked out great, with the silicone elbow fed through, it was very snug, we can feel the ring pressing slightly all the way around, making it water tight.

intakerouting2.jpg

We used silicone hose in two places on the driver side, to be able to get the portion of tube off easily, in case we ever need to remove the intercooler. With the length of pipe going to the passenger side, the panel on that side has been stepped and formed flush to the trunk and will be bolted into place. We'll put a little sealant of some kind around there.

intakerouting4.jpg

Here's a picture of the passenger side pass through, still not 'finished'.

intakerouting3.jpg

Here's a view from a little further back. The intake is not bolted down yet, since we haven't removed the torsion bar or setup for the gas strut. So right now, we're just turning the intake around each time.

intakerouting5.jpg

A little more of a close up. Yes, this does block the current placement of the trunk light. Mike suggested we get a LED strip and mount it on the rear passenger side of the trunk (to the right of the trunk catch, and relocate the wiring. So if anyone has any suggestions for a low profile COB style LED strip that would be good for lighting up a trunk and be easy to mount (probably bolted into place instead of just sheet metal screws), I'd appreciate it!
It might not be clear in that picture, there is a section earlier in the thread that talks about that. In hindsight of those posts, I realized I never did a 'here is the near-final setup'.

That chrome moly tube you see holding the upper a-arm IS the frame rail. The 4130 we used has a wall thickness designed for structural support. It's the same stuff he's used to build tubular chassis'. It will remain a bolted in piece, which will allow for most major maintenance items without having to drop the drive train. When it does need to be dropped, that rail-segment can be removed to make it easier to slide the drivetrain out the side, which has a lower height requirement that trying to slide it out the back (and less complications).

If you mean the additional stiffness that the strut towers provided to hold the trunk up, I can't say for sure what Mike has in mind. The cleanup and any necessary reinforcement of that part hasn't been planned out yet. Mike wanted to work from the 'inside out', where possible, to make sure we didn't box ourselves in (literally) with anything that needed to be done for the drivetrain.

One of the things I've mentioned to Mike, to make it even easier to get the drivetrain out when needed, was to rig up a rolling 'skid' with pockets in the right place for the cradle to rest in and keep everything stable while pushing/pulling the setup.

Mike spent time fabricating the mount for the remote oil filter. He wanted to make sure it was going to be mounted 'level', so he took out this magnetic-mount angle gauge thing, measuring the angle of the tubing he was going to mount it to, then the angle of the cradle since it was jacked up in the air. He then fabricated up the bracket, and had me tack it in place with his welder through the wheel well while he held it from under the car. I didn't do a great job, but third time it stuck well enough for him to finish it up after he made a line and checked to make sure the routing for the oil to everything was going to work, and there would be no interference.

oil_filter_mount.jpg

The filter doesn't come down below the cradle. And that Wix filter is a chunky, so not worried about any future filters if I ever have to stop using that one.

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
over the next few posts there were a few small projects that started and finished. I've done some editing to group the whole thing together. Like the new drivetrain skid. So some things are technically out of order chronologically, but make sense from a contained story about that facet.

August 28th 2021.

Mike was busy with the exhaust system. I had bought two segments of oval stainless with 90 degree bends, one piece had the bend 'the easy way', and the other was bent 'the hard way'. (basically bent along the wider part of the oval or the narrower part of the oval).

I had also bought a bunch of oval stainless pie-cuts. Mike was spending a lot of time with the pie cuts, working on making a collector for the exhaust manifolds to get it buckled up to the turbo. There were a lot of pieces but I figured it'd look a lot better when it's a little more assembled.

Now here is a cool thing -- I had bought my 1500cc injectors from Snake Eater Performance about a year ago. A few months ago, they publish a big update that they contracted with BOSCH to produce two more injector lines for them!! The Bosch 1400cc are made in the German plant, the 210/hr injectors are made at one of Bosch's other plants.

A few weeks ago, they sent an email to all their customers asking for product feedback. I admitted I couldn't give product feedback, but gave feedback on the pre-and-post sales support, and admitted I was kicking myself for jumping on the 1500cc injectors so early (they usually sold out fast).

The owner of the company emailed me back, thanking me for the feedback, and said if no fuel had passed through the injectors, they would offer me FULL CREDIT to exchange them towards the Bosch's!! I let them know that I had installed them so we knew what size adapters to get for the fuel rails... they said that was fine!

So I put in the order and shipped them back. They were so cool about it that when I sent them the USPS tracking number and thanked them again, they even sent out my Bosch's before my return got there.

So that's my big news for right now, and these are the higher end ones made with stainless steel components, not the (almost) all plastic ones that are floating around out there! And just like their other injectors, SEP does flow testing to make sure everything has a tight tolerance, marks the numbers on each injector, and sends you the flow sheets.

bosch_1400_stainless_1.jpg

bosch_1400_stainless_2.jpg

------------------

The following Saturday was an productive, with one facepalm moment.

Facepalm first. Mike wanted to start working on the extension of wiring that would run through the cabin, from all the FAST stuff up front, to the engine compartment. Cool.
So we get our length of 'measurement wire', he gets out the FAST wiring diagram for the colors, and he starts rattling them off, I cut them, he puts on the terminators, and starts putting them into the Deutsch connectors...

He gets about 6 wires in.. and I go "oh hell." and he stops.
"What? Cut something the wrong length?"
"No... we forgot about the sleeve I bought for the interior."
"Oh no."

So I get the sleeving, he gets out his Deutsch connector pin disconnect tool. Unfortunately, here's where my desire to get high-quality stuff causes an issue. All the wiring I bought is SXL, so it has a slightly thicker insulation to make it more resistant to abrasion and what not. It also prevents it from slipping into the channel on his disconnect tool. Sigh.

He pointed out that inside the cabin it's not going to run into a lot of stressors, I just wanted something a little cleaner looking then using zip ties or reusable "christmas tree" ties.
He's going to talk to his tool guy at work and see if they have something with slightly bigger channels.

Onto other things where I have some pictures! So when dropping the cradle, we've been using two car-dollies (the ones you put under the tire and can push the car around, sideways and whatnot). It's a little wobbly, and usually an a-arm winds up dragging, but it functions. We built a sled with casters. It's been through a few small revisions. Larger (taller) and heavier-duty casters, as well as braces to keep it from shifting around:

Here was the original one.

cradle_skid_1.jpg

crade_skid_2.jpg

rollingskidalmostfinal.jpg

I know it looks like an upside down skid, and it sort of is. It's orientated that way, so main weight bearing parts of the cradle will be supported evenly on those 4x4s, and it will sit at the right width so the smaller 'cross arms' in the A-arms will be supported on the back 4x4, lifting the suspension up a little bit closer to 'neutral' like when the car is sitting on the wheels.

The next issue is lifting the car up. Yes, we have done it the 'wrong' way, lifting the car up by the trunk latch, which always makes me cringe. The secondary problem with this method is the legs of the cherry picker get in the way of the cradle, requiring a lot more wibbly-wobbly to slide the cradle/drivetrain out.

Mike had a solution for that.

"So what did Mike think of?!" I know you're all excitedly asking....

Well, it required me taking the bumper cover and bumper off... and started off with...

smoking_hot_weld.jpg

I didn't get my phone out fast enough to take a picture when it was glowing red hot, and the zinc coating that was in the threads was glowing gold-green.

welded_bracing_tube.jpg

Next up is this nifty thick-walled heavy duty tube, welded to the nut. Yes, it's a little 'bubble-gummy', but welding in a recess doesn't give you much options.

brace_plate_1.jpg

Next, boxing it in to add some strength and spread out the load....

brace_plate_2.jpg

Finished up with that boxing in.

bumper_reinstalled.jpg

Bumper is back on the car! Now here is where I goofed and forgot to take a picture. After Mike modified the bumper cover (don't worry, it was a repop, and so the actual bumper. Apparently the car had gotten into a rear-end collision, but not bad enough to damage the frame). So the bumper cover now has this quarter-sized hole in it, that'll be hidden by the license plate. And for what??

lift_point_inserted.jpg

For this! This is the first draft (for length measurement) of the anchor that will screw into the nut in the first picture, and the cherry picker (or a come-along hook) can be connected to. So now we can lift the car up higher without using the trunk latch and not have the legs of it get in the way. And if the car slides off the track at VIR, or needs to be pulled up onto a trailer, that's where the hook will connect.

It's not designed to lift up the car with the drive-train in it. It is for towing and drive-train-dropped lifting only.

lift_point_bumper_cover_on.jpg

lift_point_bumper_cover_on2.jpg

Okay so now onto the stuff I'm really excited about. We slide my drivetrain skid under the cradle, unbolted the engine, and the skid worked exactly as intended, supporting the cradle, engine, transmission AND the A-Arms, so they didn't drag. We unbolted the upper control arm... then used the neat new lift point Mike put in before to life up the body of the car!

This also worked as planned, the cherry picker legs stayed clear of the skid/cradle. Now that he knows it works, he'll make the final version of the bolt that screws into the reinforced mounting point.

drivetrain_on_skid.jpg

drivetrain_on_skid_side_view.jpg

drivetrain_on_skid_extracted.jpg

car_lifted_by_new_point.jpg

----------------------- next post

Another Fiero member had posted up some stuff in his thread on water pumps, including the cool stuff that Davies Craig makes. It was on my list, and then I ran across a thread where La Fiera posted up about the BMW pump he uses (CWA200, with an aftermarket controller). That pump has been used on BMW engines (v6 and v8), included mounted in some places where they take a lot of thermal abuse.

La Fiera has been running this pump without any issues. So I figured, hey, this is an off the shelf pump I can get (somewhat) easily if I had to replace it on the side of the road. And we are mounting it up front (though not the same way La Fiera did), so it'd be away from all the engine heat. A phone call later, and viola, we went to a local store and picked up the pump. Mike isn't sure if XFI will be able to do a PWM to control this pump, so I'm going to get the controller for now -- and yes, I'll pick up a backup at somepoint to throw in the trunk on long trips, just in case. :)

So let's start with some pics of that!

CWA200_pump_with_reference.jpg

Here is the pump next to an energy drink for reference. When the guy at the parts store pulled up the image of it on his computer to see if they had one, he commented it was the strangest water pump he'd ever seen. The top of it looks like a little turbocharger.

cwa200pump_mount1.jpg

cwa200pump_mount2.jpg

cwa200pump_mount3.jpg

Mike made a bracket after figuring out a good place to mount it up front where it wouldn't be in the way of things. Plus with the fuse block he put up front, we'll have power for it and the controller up there already too, so this works out well.

ls4_water_manifold.jpg

I went with the LS Simple water manifold. It fit on very well, we just had to rotate the cam sensor 180 degrees, so the plug cleared the lower tube. It's very close to the block, so maximizes space! Mike penned out how to hook in the steam ports for the heads, so he's going to make a radiator overflow tank that will mount in the engine bay, so air will bleed out of the steam vents and into the tank at the top, and we'll have a return hose at the bottom. He'll be fabbing up that tank.

This was one of the few times I came up with an idea he liked. Originally he wanted to make a surge tank, but didn't like that the routing could have trapped air in the steam vents.

------------------------ next update

Mike had to redo a lot in the radiator area to accommodate my new water pump, including some additional modification of the radiator itself. In the end, the connections from the pump and radiator to the radiator pipes going to the back of the car are going to be closed off with short heavy duty silicone hoses, and all-stainless t-clamps.

Mike also started running the lines for the transmission cooler. Here's some pictures of all that stuff!

radiatorlink1.jpg

radiatorlink2.jpg

tramissioncoolingline1.jpg

tramissioncoolingline2.jpg

tramissioncoolingline3.jpg

tramissioncoolingline4.jpg

And also here is a picture of my drivetrain skid with teh wheels on there. Just enough clearance. Haven't had a chance to test it yet. Thankfully it was cheap to make, so easy to build another one and improve it if necessary.

Anyhow - I mentioned before about modifying the radiator a bit more for the coolant piping to/from the water pump. Mike then tackled starting to run the transmission cooler lines. In my previous post I think I showed a pic of that getting started, and he finished it up (at least going back to the rear bulkhead, more on that later).

We did have to pull the radiator again, which lead to a good, but unexpected, test of how well it could go in/out around the transmission lines. It requires lifting the driver side first, but then it slides out without an issue. Could probably be done by one person, though two is definitely better (at least with the hood on).

transmission_lines_top.jpg

transmission_lines_under_car.jpg

transmission_lines_under_car_2.jpg

transmission_lines_under_car_3.jpg

========================

We also took apart the bracket setup for the FAST so we could mount the Tecomotive pump control on it. Check out the cool little connector channel! This thing is way smaller than I expected. At least it makes it super easy to package!

tecomotive_mount.jpg

tecomotive_mount_2.jpg

Once the drivetrain was out, we rolled it into the garage so Mike could start working on packaging accessories. The AC Compressor will use one of the original mounting points. Then he used some cardboard to start working out the template for the alternator, going as far as even bolting it up to the block, and I would hold the altnerator as he checked things out.

mounting_ac_compressor.jpg

This bracket will be spaced out from the block to get the alternator pulley into alignment, with it sitting as test fitted, it is backspaced about .75". It's made from .25" 6061 aluminum. The spacers will be made from the same.

I'll be using a CS130 alternator from Power Master. I've used their alternators in the past and have had great luck with them, plus their tech support and pre-sales guys have always been great. Also, the last two alternators I got from them had higher than advertised amperage. They (used to) do a bench test and have a tag attached to it with the exact amps that unit put it out. The alternator in the mockup is an SI12 case, which has the same mounting hole distance and orientation as the unit I ordered.

template_test_2.jpg

template_transfer.jpg

alternator_bracket_test_fit_1.jpg

Mike had finished up the mods to the engine cradle to allow safe clearance for the belt. So accessories are finalized.

accessories_final.jpg

He also tacked in the mounting points for the oil cooler. Even though it doesn't appear there will be much air flow there, Mike says it'll be okay and he's going to be putting some scoop/ducting under there at some point. And even ambient cooling is going to help a little. The red/blue AN fitting is for mock-up, a black one was delivered, it also has the port on there for the turbo-oil feed.

oil_cooler_tacked.jpg

Solid color wire from ADI shipped out this week - well, most of the colors, a few were on backorder. We're also still waiting on the metal pieces for Mike to start mocking up the gas tank.

And this was just a funny picture after we put the wheels back under the car without the drivetrain.

funny_alignment.jpg

---------------------- next post

This time out, while Mike started working on the brackets, I cleared out what was left of the old nasty insulation in the Fiero engine compartment.

insulation_removed.jpg

I will be replacing it with Thermo-Tec insulation, part 13590. I emailed them describing where it was going to be used, and this is what they suggested, so, we'll give it a shot! We'll also be putting back in the super-awesome Decklid brackets that FieroGuru made for my last Fiero, which will require us to fabricate the spreader bar that went in above the 'lip' (there are square holes cut out in there already) to help offer support. I'm going to go back in this thread and find that section to make sure I have the information handy for Mike. We'll also be reinstalling the super nice heatshield/smoothplate he made, which means I'll be taking off all those little stands off the bulkhead.

I also have some TechFlex SRF28.0SV material that we'll be using in other temp critical places, like on the manifold shields (definitely the inside of them). This stuff is crazy expensive, but that's partially because you can normally only get it in giant rolls. Thankfully a seller on eBay sells it in 2" cuts. I think this stuff is literally something used by NASA. If it's good enough for things being shot into space, it's good enough for me!

Mike wanted to create a second bracket that would also wrap down to give the A/C Compressor some additional rigidity. This bracket means he has to rework one of the arms on the cradle a little, you can see where he cut through the spot weld, and the arm is kind of dangling there. Yes, the cradle has held the drivetrain for well over a year with just spot welds. Including while the car was bouncing along on a trailer to PA, and us lowering lifting it, rocking and rolling it. Crazy!

He also trimmed a bit of the 'lip' off the belt tensioner pulley. It wasn't coming into contact with the crank pulley, but it was so close that you'd be lucky if a piece of paper could slip between the space. Mike felt trimming of a bit of the lip was better than worrying about the lip scraping the pulley during movement with vibration.

accessories_done.jpg

He also rigged up some extra brackets for the back of the alternator and the compressor. On the compressor there is this little 'U'. So you can see that tab in a mock up position that will weld to the upright support on the cradle, and the bolt will fit snugly into that U. There is also more clearance between the alternator and the manifold that that angle would make you think.

accessories_done_2.jpg

So I had to buy a bunch of proper length bolts to put all this together, along with some sensors and other adapters for the transmission (ICT Billet makes coolant fittings for this transmission that go directly to AN, versus whatever the factory connection is, eliminating a potential leak point).

I scored a pristine, no cracks, center console skeleton from the junkyard. Mike got the tail lights (notchie), we picked up some other odds and ends. But I won't be using that. Instead, I'll be using one of the fantastic 3D printed units from a member on Pennock's.

It showed up in a very compact box, very well packaged (each piece was wrapped in bubble wrap). Looks pretty spiffy!!

center_console_1.jpg

center_console_2.jpg

center_console_3.jpg

center_console_4.jpg

center_console_5.jpg

I also took advantage of the Discount Tire black Friday sale and bought new tires for the stock coupe Corvette wheels I have on there, so those will go on this Saturday. The tires that are on there now are pretty well cracked, and these have the same ratio number, so the car will have a very slight rake and the rear tire will fill up the wheel well a little better. I'll post up pictures of those once the wheels are back on the car. Fronts are 255/40 R17, and the back are 275/40 R18. With the discounts, I effectively got a free tire.

I bought my Michelin's for the daily-driver wheels and got those mounted and balanced. One of the wheels required a fair amount of balancing weights. Sadly with the big spaces between spokes, it's easy to spot if the wheel is in the 4ish-to-8ish position.

I also made sure these tires had the same ratio for the front and back, making the outside diameter of the back wheels a little bigger, helps give the car a tiny bit of rake, which I like.

newtires.jpg

When I go to put tires on the z06 wheels, the backs will get DOT slicks, since those will be for the track, but still stand up to being (carefully) driven on roads so I don't need to trailer the car there or back.

------------------------------

I had gotten some fittings to replace the stock coolant fittings on the 4T80 with ones that had AN connections, discovered one of them had this weird little tube on it. ICT made ones for the 4L80. We hoped they would be the same... they are a touch different. Thankfully we know someone with a lathe! So it'll be turned down a little.

transmission_coolant_fitting.jpg

Once all the remaining hoses are made, and rear sway bar mock up is done, drivetrain will go back into the car for a test fit. If there are no issues, it'll come back out, drivetrain comes off, final welding, and off it goes for powder coating!

Excluding A/C hose, that'll be almost last - I need to get another Fiero A/C hose and a GXP LS4 hose and take them to the hydraulic hose shop that has done other things for me, ask them to work their magic on those once we know the hose length.

Once it's back, we need to take measurements for axles and get those ordered. All the new rear suspension components will go on then. Then it's wiring! So. Much. Wiring.

Sadly, the delays in getting things done are making me worried about having the car ready to go to Pisa in time for all of the body mods and paint. I really wanted that to be done in 2022, so the car would be "Show & Go" ready for the 40th. Right now, it looks like it'll be more that SNL skit from the 80s, where it showed a car that was just totally terrible on the outside to deter thieves, but had awesome performance and interior. ... I probably won't put the awesome interior in until the body is done. Just doesn't seem right.

Speaking of interior parts. I had a facepalm moment. Three trips to the junkyard to get things off the Fieros, and I never considered the big seals that go around the door opening to seal around the door/door-glass. So that is on my go back and check out, see if it's still in good shape and get that off the cars. If anyone has ever removed that seal and can give any tips on how to do it without tearing it, I would appreciate it. Is it just glued in? Do I just use body panel tools and a lot of patience?

And lastly, I got stuff from Rodney to rebuild a few sets of the 87-88 headlight motors! Though the gears looked good in the two I took apart, I went ahead and got a set of Rodney's metal gears, along with a few sets of the delrin pins and gaskets and ball bearings. Better to have extras, right?

---------------------------

So we are getting to some of the smaller and time consuming stuff, where we realize we need a particular fitting after figuring out the best way to route something.

The oil hoses is now all buttoned up.

oil_hoses_final_1.jpg

oil_hoses_final_2.jpg

The steamvent kit I got from TrickFlow is nice, and modular (it uses AN fittings), which is great because Mike wasn't completely happy with it (and the fittings let others adjust things to deal with clearance issues). It's mostly done but I have a few more fittings on the way.

Mike has the MAC Turbo solenoid mounted and made a neat shield for it to help protect it from heat. This will be in addition to getting the turbo housing coated and slapping a turbo blanket on it.

heatshield_1.jpg

heatshield_2.jpg

heatshield_3.jpg

heatshield_4.jpg

He also made a shield that will protect the fuel line from the belt, in both unexpected movement/contact abbrassion, or catastrophic belt failure (though with that greenstripe belt, it's not supposed to do that). I thought I took a picture of that mounted, but... I didn't? So I'll have to add that one later.

The fueling hoses are 99% routed and buttoned up. Fuel pressure regulator mounting bracket is done!
fuelpressureregulatormount.jpg

Smaller bit of flair, the ECU mounting bracket was powdercoated

powdercoated_ecu_mount.jpg

Transmission note: Brandon Furches told me that I should make sure the piston was flipped around on the 2-3 shift. I emailed Dave at Triple Edge Performance. He couldn't remember if he had done this on my transmission. Brandon said it was the only thing that failed on his first 4T80E transmission, and he hasn't any any issues since doing that mode on bone-stock transmissions, so Mike and I will be opening the transmission up to get to that. I've bought the J-Kent parts to put the 4T80E in an tramission stand. Which requires two parts.

More fittings and sensors have been ordered. Mike wants to start mocking up the engine harness, starting by using the stock engine harness. Then once all the lengths and modifications are figured out, he'll use the new wiring to make a spiffy new harness.

Pretty soon the drivetrain will come off the cradle, final welds will be done on it, and then it'll go off for powdercoating.

------------------------

We got a few more fittings for hoses and finished buttoning up the fuel system, including getting the fuel pressure transducer in the circuit. All of the steam vents are setup, and the port for it's tank is ready to go. The tank needs to be fabricated, we are running out of real estate, Mike has an idea of where he'll put it and how it'll be shaped.

He started doing the mock-up spot welds for the chargepipe and getting other elements of the exhaust.

A bunch of the stuff that was done is off for powdercoating now, including the valve covers. We were also going to measure for the pushrods, but we misplaced the tool I got to do it. The one Mike has doesn't have the right range. So that'll be on my task list to find next time. I checked the rolling tool cart that I saw it on a few months ago, no luck.

So here is mock-up progress.

downpipemockup.jpg

downpipemockup2.jpg

When temperatures have cooperated, Mike has been busy with mocking up, measuring, and (re)modifying the exhaust plans. Still a lot left to weld, but he is happy with the progress so far, and is trying to take into account spacing, serviceability, hoses, wiring, and of course thermal control.

He's very focused on the details. At one point he had another piece welded into place, and it was not quite parallel to the cross member of the cradle. And I mean, I didn't see it until he busted out a measuring tape, but he saw it without that. So I asked:

"Is that going to cause a problem?"
"Yeah." he replied
"What?"
"It's going to annoy me." was his answer. So he then went about fixing it.

He had been sending me pictures of his different mock-ups, but I wanted to wait because I knew things would change. You can see in one of the pictures all of the magic marker "line-up" marks from the current and previous fits. :)

exhaust_to_complete_1.jpg

exhaust_to_complete_2.jpg

exhaust_to_complete_3.jpg

So some of the exhaust materials that Mike needed were coming from a place in Washington state, so unfortunately it didn't reach him by the weekend. Other parts were coming from Summit and one piece of 0.064" t-6061 aluminum from Amazon. With the stuff that did show up, he was able to mock up one more part of the exhaust. The downpipe and the rest needs to wait until the rest shows up this week.

exhaust_to_complete_4.jpg

I'll hold off on talking more about the plans for the exhaust until they come to fruition. That way I have something to go with the pictures.

The next wave of things came back from powdercoating!

powdercoated_engine_pieces.jpg

That is all of the current brackets to fit the accessories and such to the engine, plus the valve covers, of course. I wanted a few of them done in silver as accent pieces, but the powdercoating guy was being a bit of a jerk to Mike over the pricing (almost doubling the price, even though everything would go in the oven at the same time). Mike made an executive decision to just do it all in black.

performance_wire.jpg

I also had a heck of a time getting the Taylor wires I wanted. TWO orders from two different vendors who said they had them in stock cancelled the order because "Oops, by in stock, we really meant they'll ship from the manufacturer, and they don't have any...."

So after much Googling and reading up on wires used by other guys putting down big enough power that they were having spark issues with OEM wires, I found Scott Performance wires, right here in N.C. Apparently they also make wiring sets for stock car teams?

I called and spoke to them, explained what I wanted, and they were really great about it. Gave me a quote, and I received the wires on time. Mike said that visually they look good, they have a double sleeve, plus I got the thermal socks for them.

And since we are now waiting on more material to come in to do the exhaust, Mike switched gears to wiring for the moment. He started breaking down the stock harness and fitting it, taking out things we don't need. This will become our prototype wiring harness to run and do testing with. And then it will go in a box as an emergency backup.

stock_wiring_mashup.jpg

Once that is done and all is working, the prototype harness will come out and we'll be using all that wire I bought to make a new engine harness, along with all the spiffy various-degrees-of-shielding loom. I learned about https://lswiring.com/ from reaching out to EFIConnection (they own LSwiring.com as well?). I wanted to find an easy source to get bare connectors. They have a nice system were you can search by engine and it'll give a list of all the connectors they have for it.

EDIT: We did find the pushrod length measuring tool. We marked the top (nose?) of the valves, and he put a breaker bar on the crankshaft to rotate the engine assembly a few times to see where the marking would be rubbed off by the tappets. Stock LS4 pushrods are 7.4", the ones I have arriving are 7.475".

----------------------------

We were able to make the single piece shims. Mike cut them to fit the rocker stand. The holes were chamfered. When those were installed and pushrods put in, he marked the nose of the valve and rotated the engine to make sure all the geometry landed where he wanted it, and it did.

rocker_shim.jpg

rocker_shim_2.jpg

You can see the powdercoated parts were also on. The big bolts for all of the accessories were figured out a while back, with washers so the powdercoating can't be dug/twisted when we torqued down the bolts.

accessories_completed.jpg

The local Ace Hardware did not have the stainless hardware we wanted for all the p-clamps for the hose and other things, so McMaster-Carr has an order from me for screws, nuts, and washers.

Here is a shot of under the intake where we started plumbing in hardware. The vacuum tube will be using a length of hard tube that will extend out just a little past the intake, and the hose will fit to it there.

intake_fittings.jpg

Mike really wants to get the exhaust done by the end of next weekend, so I can take that to Jet Hot, and he can take the drivetrain off the cradle to finish the welding on that, and then it goes off for powdercoating.

Yesterday was 99% watching Mike measure, cut, spot weld, repeat!

I did a little work, replacing some of the p-clamp fasteners with 316 stainless ones, but that's boring stuff, and you guys are here for the cool stuff!

One of the things I failed to find was a smooth transition 90 degree Y-pipe, that was 3" and dual 2.5" out. I could find them in aluminum all day long, but since the exhaust, save for the manifolds, is all stainless, I wanted tobe consistent.

Magnaflow made one, but it's in 409 stainless, which is apparently lousy. So Mike had me get him two 2.5" tight radius 90s in 304, and he made the Y pipe that he wanted.

He said it was a little tricky, since stainless doesn't have the ductability that aluminum does, so you need to be careful about how much you bend it and where, or else it'll either fail right then, or fail in the future (especially with exhaust stuff, if it's close to the manifolds, or is the manifolds!)

Here are some shots as Mike made the Y-pipe, clamping, squishing, checking, etc. I only took a few pics, but this was a time consuming project.

making_the_Y_pipe_1.jpg

making_the_Y_pipe_2.jpg

Then once the Y was spot welded, we did some test fits and measurements. We found with the muffler I picked, we had to extend the downpipe out a little more.

y-pipe_measurement_check_1.jpg

y-pipe_measurement_check_2.jpg

After the downpipe was modified again, we put the v-band on the Y and test fit the mufflers

y-pipe_muffler_check_1.jpg

y-pipe_muffler_check_2.jpg

y-pipe_muffler_check_4.jpg

The mufflers will also be modified for V bands as well. This way it'll be easy in the future to make adjustments, I can pop off the mufflers easily, either for the track or for other mufflers. And the downpipe can be lengthened/shortened now too (if future muffler selection demands it), only requring another v band to be welded on.

This way I can try to find mufflers that will keep the car quiet enough for me to enjoy, but not strangle the engine, and hopefully not anger my neighbors.

Everything will be hung/mounted from the cradle, making it an easy package to drop out once all hoses/wiring is disconnected.

Mike estimated another 10 hours to do the finish welding on all of the exhaust now. Once that's done, that'll be off to Jet Hot, engine and transmission will be put on stands, cradle will be finished welding and off to powdercoating.

-------------------------------

Currently all the pieces are on their way to the Colorado facility for their 2500 coating. They couldn't do it in their local facility because the application method is different. (Update, Jet Hot has shipped it back as of late April. It should be to me the first week of May).

exhaust_wo_wastegate.jpg

Mike has gotten back to the engine harness. He is still working on the prototype one, using the original harness as much as possible.

ls4_spaghetti.jpg

He is still putting all of the many... many feet of high temp wire loom to work, to make things look as slick as possible, since this will likely be the one in the car for Carlisle.

pro_wiring_example_2.jpg

pro_wiring_example.jpg

flex_fuel_wiring_shield.jpg

That last pic is of a mounting bracket he made for the P-clamps to keep the wiring neat.

We talked about doing the wiring in the hyper-hidden slick way that FieroGuru does (and got me top marks when I had that setup at AutoFair in a car judgement stuff).

Mike doesn't want to go that route, so in case anything needs to be fixed or replaced, it'll be easier to troubleshoot and, well, fix or replace it!

There's still a lot to do. This weekend we plan on using the plasma cutter to finish cleaning up the cuts from when we took out the strut towers, take out the dog bone bracket, and start cleaning up the bulkhead.

That's it for todays MEGA POST!

Thread Info