Turbo LS4, 4t80 swapped Monte Carlo SS

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Im sure he can handle sorting out the 4t80 if hes made it this far. Im at work on a govt computer so I cant get on Ls1tech or grandrixforums.net I know he has a build thread on both of those and a few other boards besides here.

Either way the way, Im happy to see people using and beating on the 4t80 setups so the solutions can be found to make that setup even better.

Good for the platform and the wbody community.

Again considering many people said the ls4 wouldn't work with the 4t80 but Furches is doing it Im confident he will sort out the trans issues also.

Another note doesn't this trans share parts with a different one that can be used to beef up the 4t80? Thought I read somewhere that some improvements were already in the works.
:dunno:

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
If he doesn't mind dumping some big money and time.... i am sure could figure
out all the problems.

My feeling has always been, while yes bigger/badder than the 65e, its not light years
better. Heck Ben put his stocker 65's under some crazy power for quite a few runs
before they would let go.

If stocker caddys probably putting down not even 230 WHP , are able to hurt these
transmissions, going 3-4x as much WHP is not gonna fair well long.

I have no doubts on the 80e could be a valuable option one day, if and only
if someone(s) can figure out how to easily modify them up to take long time abuse
under considerable power. They maybe good for say 450whp setup for a time,
but it never seems that is enough and people want more and more...

Now if any and all fixes will end up being "cheap" .. or ends up being another big budget
modification like a built 65e is.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
No way, 4t80s are cheap. Using them because of the bigger diff and chain is 2 HUGE reasons to use the 4t80 despite the weight penalty.

If its in a build that has the potential to destroy a 7/8s chain setup I wouldn't even bother with a 4t65. Now I understand some people like [MENTION=11400]jdredd[/MENTION] already have the mega buck GMR parts and a boat load of money into their 4t65s.

Anyone just starting a build or trying to do a setup without the requirement of spending a pile of money on GMR parts let alone chasing them down the 4t80 is hands down a better option!!

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
No way, 4t80s are cheap. Using them because of the bigger diff and chain is 2 HUGE reasons to use the 4t80 despite the weight penalty.

If its in a build that has the potential to destroy a 7/8s chain setup I wouldn't even bother with a 4t65. Now I understand some people like [MENTION=11400]jdredd[/MENTION] already have the mega buck GMR parts and a boat load of money into their 4t65s.

Anyone just starting a build or trying to do a setup without the requirement of spending a pile of money on GMR parts let alone chasing them down the 4t80 is hands down a better option!!

All I am saying is don't expect a cheap trans in the end if your planning
to run big numbers is all. Once you start having to open the trans to do
mods, the costs start to climb.

I do have all the GMR parts, plus more... i've paid the price and it hurts.
I'd love to see the 80e take off, but I feel the promise that stock its
perfectly fine for big numbers I keep hearing over the years is a lie.

Once any hard parts start having to be made by small timers we will be back to square one of the old days having to pay big bucks for custom machined parts.

Only saving grace would somehow to get a LARGE company onboard say,
like Sonnax or the sorts, to produce parts to lower the costs maybe (which
may be a hard sell to them)

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
Im at work so I cant chase down the pics but by grenade I meant his 4t80 spit some parts out the case as shrapnel..........

Is this the pic you're talking about?

20151013_150811_zps7qb0wh9t.jpg

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
All I am saying is don't expect a cheap trans in the end if your planning
to run big numbers is all. Once you start having to open the trans to do
mods, the costs start to climb.

I do have all the GMR parts, plus more... i've paid the price and it hurts.
I'd love to see the 80e take off, but I feel the promise that stock its
perfectly fine for big numbers I keep hearing over the years is a lie.

Once any hard parts start having to be made by small timers we will be back to square one of the old days having to pay big bucks for custom machined parts.

Only saving grace would somehow to get a LARGE company onboard say,
like Sonnax or the sorts, to produce parts to lower the costs maybe (which
may be a hard sell to them)

What does a GMR diff and a 1 inch chain run for now a days IF a person can even find the damn things?

My point is that ZERO people have run a fresh rebuild 4t80. They have all been junk yard transmissions tossed in a car and beat on well over 500hp until they puke.

And yes a stock Cadillac can hurt a 4t80 at like 230 whp then by the same comparison a wimpy NA 3800 making less than 200whp can destroy a 4t65 too.

At the end of the day the chain is bigger and that's what is the single main driving factor. Now lets see how one holds up with a fresh rebuild with NEW clutches, fresh valve body, and solenoids.

I believe james or ben or dave had some things worked out for the slow shifting and some valve body upgrades already. I thought one of them 3 already said that their was a sonnax kit to improve the slow shifts.

As for hurting hard parts? Besides whatever went wrong in the monte what hard parts have broke? I thought ben was having slipping clutch issues and again that's on a used trans.

Zero broken chains, Zero broken input shafts, Zero broken output shafts, Zero broken diffs.

Besides the slow shifts from a used trans I really don't know what more you could ask for.

No matter how you look at it a 4t80 is going to cost less to rebuild than a 4t65 that's loaded with

GMR chain
GMR diff
GMR input
GMR output
upgraded valve body.

I really see no negatives to doing the 4t80 even as a fresh rebuilt stocker.

So again for us that that don't have GMR parts a 4t80 seems like a no brainer. When people start blowing up STOCK used 4t80 transmissions at 700plus hp a stock 4t65 wouldn't take near the beatings them got before giving up.

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
A fresh built 80e with just replacement stock stuff just isn't gonna last long with big numbers people want to push.

Ben's EP build 80e didn't last very long at all and it even had a few "tweaks"

I'll just shut up about the matter. And just sit back and keep watching as I have been for over a decade
about the cheap solve all 80e solution. Maybe someone will figure out all the short comings and
make a build guide and have a real cheap solution. I'd love it, as i've spent more in transmission in the past
15 years combined than some people make in a year.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Yes I don't know if the trans has been opened yet but I did see on the ls1tech thread that it was pretty well nuked. I don't think that case is useable anymore either. I need to get off shift and troll around on the other threads he has.

Also Furches owns a pretty decent performance shop. Im glad people like him and Ben who owns turbodynamics have the wallet to push the development of such projects!

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
Yes I don't know if the trans has been opened yet but I did see on the ls1tech thread that it was pretty well nuked. I don't think that case is useable anymore either. I need to get off shift and troll around on the other threads he has.

Also Furches owns a pretty decent performance shop. Im glad people like him and Ben who owns turbodynamics have the wallet to push the development of such projects!

Oh yeah. Judging by the other pic that case is flipping toast

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
He looks like he knows what he's doing. Sometimes it can be good not to listen and try on your own. Especially with a platform that has very little aftermarket and performance data.

His failure is different than mine and I'll try to learn from his problem.

Did he says he tried to force the 4th gear shift and it would never go in.
Underlying 4th band issue ? That's where the damage is. Right where the 4th band goes. Almost seems like it got caught on the reverse drum and broke the case.

Was he trying to shift at WOT into 4th ? If yes, that's a garanteed recipe for failure. He did he just try to shift to 4th as a test that the trans was operating right (at part throttle) ? Either way there was a problem there and it most likely caused the failure.

Almost seems like the failure was not directly related to power but not helped by high rpm and power either. Trans was already flawed before the pass.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
So basically what your saying [MENTION=11585]twinv6gtp[/MENTION] is still 4t80>4t65? :dunno:

I don't know what caused the problem I looked in his other threads on gpf.net and ls1tech.com but didn't see any updates.

Again its awesome to see people pushing these 4t80s to the limits the results are sure to help the platform!

On another note are you using 4th in the twin engine car? I thought you were only going up to 3rd?

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
Some of the failures were due to 4th shifts by mistake. Now i put it in 3rd gear manual which prevents a shift to 4th.

Another way his trans could have died is front manual 2nd to 3rd gear... where the reverse drum held by 4th band and has to release quickly for the 3rd gear shift. If the timing is wrong it puts a huge stress on the case.

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
3rd manual yes and full pressure on the shift... its low at 210 to 200 psi...

I will be boosting my pressure next year. I have a 4t80e that has many valve body mods and lighter assembly that should hold a lot more power.

And the big sidecover helps not loses pressure on a harder launch 1.4 or lower.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info