• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Turbo heat blankets/shields

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Hey guys, what's the deal with these? Are they helpful for anything other than not burning up your hoses and wires? Do they really hold in enough heat to spool the turbo quicker? I was using a relatively cheap blanket on the Camaro's T4 before I had to reclock it, but now it doesn't fit right. I thought about getting creative with cutting up a GN heat shield, but I'm pretty sure it would be strictly for looks at that point. Are there any recommendations out there for slim blankets? Should I ditch it?

I know I just asked a ton of questions, but I'm not exactly looking for specific answers. Just sparking conversation. Thanks!

1602764986969.png
1602765041559.png

TrboGT

Aug 29, 2016
v6buicks v6buicks

Similar setup to yours, my engine is just sideways lol. I run a DEI turbo blanket, and I run it purely for heat purposes. Just to attempt to control it a little. I run a precision billet wheel 6266 and have a 6668 on the shelf that i will likely not run anymore. Spool is good, however I am a 3k stalled auto vs you are manual iirc so I don't know how they would differ. But also my engine is bored out a little and running an ST5 cam so I did lose some low end compared to the ST2 cam. One thing I noticed and research seemed to prove, that after so many heat cycles the turbo blankets just never end up back in their original state if you take it off/on often. That's why i just bought this new one. Also I have the entire hot side wrapped, figured it can't hurt.

Not sure if any of that helps.

Turbo.jpg

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
v6buicks v6buicks

Similar setup to yours, my engine is just sideways lol. I run a DEI turbo blanket, and I run it purely for heat purposes. Just to attempt to control it a little. I run a precision billet wheel 6266 and have a 6668 on the shelf that i will likely not run anymore. Spool is good, however I am a 3k stalled auto vs you are manual iirc so I don't know how they would differ. But also my engine is bored out a little and running an ST5 cam so I did lose some low end compared to the ST2 cam. One thing I noticed and research seemed to prove, that after so many heat cycles the turbo blankets just never end up back in their original state if you take it off/on often. That's why i just bought this new one. Also I have the entire hot side wrapped, figured it can't hurt.

Not sure if any of that helps.

First of all, NICE CAR! I have not seen this one before. Do you have a thread?

Yes, my car is manual without a two step or anything, so that doesn't help with spool. I was considering the idea of going straight to the ST5 cam when I swap over to an L67 bottom end. Do you think something with a little more low-end power would be better? That's a good point regarding the blanket shape. Mine is a little stiffer than I remember it being when it was new. I might try to find a new one.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
DEI exhaust wrap and blankets work very well. There are tricks to installing the wrap like soaking it in water before you wrap the part, the way to secure the end with stainless clamps or wire ties, and so on. They make a clear coat to help keep it neat and clean.

Heat shields also can reduce heat a lot on the opposite side of the heat source. Just be sure to use stainless steel.

Heat management is key with a turbo car. Both in the piping/turbo as well as underhood.

TrboGT

Aug 29, 2016
v6buicks v6buicks

Thanks! I have one, but its not something I update. I have had this car for 17 years, haha, so much time into it. I love the idle sound and the top end power, however I preferred the ST2. I am not much into going to the Drag Strip anymore. I just want a fun and reliable car to drive around occasionally. it still turns a lot of heads and gets a lot of compliments (its been a nice weather only car since like 2005, lol).

Also x2 to everything Pressure Ratio said. I would recommend wrapping some of your hot side to help with the heat! From my experience, spend the money on the good stuff in this area. I could tell a big difference in the quality.

I am jealous of the RWD :cool:

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
v6buicks v6buicks

Thanks! I have one, but its not something I update. I have had this car for 17 years, haha, so much time into it. I love the idle sound and the top end power, however I preferred the ST2. I am not much into going to the Drag Strip anymore. I just want a fun and reliable car to drive around occasionally. it still turns a lot of heads and gets a lot of compliments (its been a nice weather only car since like 2005, lol).

Also x2 to everything Pressure Ratio said. I would recommend wrapping some of your hot side to help with the heat! From my experience, spend the money on the good stuff in this area. I could tell a big difference in the quality.

I am jealous of the RWD :cool:
I gotcha. I'm not much of a "racer" either. I want the car to surprise some people, but I mainly want to enjoy driving it. A choppy idle would be super cool which is why I was thinking ST5, but I will probably ask for more opinions in my build thread whenever it comes time to actually buy stuff.

The whole hot side will be wrapped. I just have to burn all the paint off the new pipes first because I'm an idiot and painted with engine paint. ?‍♂️ I got a 100' roll of black Techflex. I think I used DEI last time which kept the engine bay pretty cool. I hope the new stuff works okay.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info