Turbo guys

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
I dont have the cross over anymore... buddy of mine hacked it up for a dead project.

I still do have the downpipe, collecting dust.

Can see here what I am talking about. I dont think it "hurt" anything really as car did perform well enough.
But sharpish bend right out of the turbo.

O2 sensor was mounted right in that area which was dumb as it burned up o2 sensors. Really needed
to be a foot or two further down. Wide band at the end of downpipe never had issue.
IMG_0764_zps974c1699.jpg

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
That turbo placement is too far over on the drivers side though, it would have been easier to run your DP if you moved it back towards the engine. Obviously you had to do that for a reason though. This guy isn't shooting for big power so right off the X-over with a flange should be a perfect placement for a 2-1/2" downpipe to run past the brake booster and the ABS stuff. 2-1/2" piping is good for ~450whp.

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
That turbo placement is too far over on the drivers side though, it would have been easier to run your DP if you moved it back towards the engine. Obviously you had to do that for a reason though. This guy isn't shooting for big power so right off the X-over with a flange should be a perfect placement for a 2-1/2" downpipe to run past the brake booster and the ABS stuff. 2-1/2" piping is good for ~450whp.

My big problem was I bought a "Z7" kit off clubgp.

Notice the quotes? ... basically it was a Z7 clone. Not very good either. Thick nice pipe,
but nothing lined up.

When the T67 turbo from ZZP showed up ( i bought that new from them ), it didn't fit. Turbo physically sat on the wiring harness for trans. Downpipe hit everything.

So we hacked both cross over and downpipe up to get everything to fit.

ABS was already gone and had the smaller booster. But next issue came to cross over. was marked "done" without checking downpipe fitment properly.. By then it was a "send it" moment and downpipe ended up way it was.

If we had angled the T4 flange better, it wouldn't have been horribly bad.

One thing with the turbo pushed out further like that maybe helped in some way of
keeping direct turbo heat off the motor and trans itself ... but need a passenger intake
to really do that.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
My big problem was I bought a "Z7" kit off clubgp.

Notice the quotes? ... basically it was a Z7 clone. Not very good either. Thick nice pipe,
but nothing lined up.

When the T67 turbo from ZZP showed up ( i bought that new from them ), it didn't fit. Turbo physically sat on the wiring harness for trans. Downpipe hit everything.

So we hacked both cross over and downpipe up to get everything to fit.

ABS was already gone and had the smaller booster. But next issue came to cross over. was marked "done" without checking downpipe fitment properly.. By then it was a "send it" moment and downpipe ended up way it was.

If we had angled the T4 flange better, it wouldn't have been horribly bad.

One thing with the turbo pushed out further like that maybe helped in some way of
keeping direct turbo heat off the motor and trans itself ... but need a passenger intake
to really do that.

Yeah, I kinda figured you had some kind of nightmare :rofl:

Wait a minute.... Where are YOUR car updates? :squint:

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
Yank the turbo/DP when you do the flexplate and have someone weld on a V-flange. You can kill 2 birds with one welder.

You'll want to have all the exhaust crap bolted in after you tack it to help prevent warp from welding even with a V band. I had at least one V band flange that warped and doesn't seal because I didn't have the band tightened down, even with a 6" flex on a 3" pipe it was barely enough to offset the warp.

Mmmm. Brings back some memories...

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
The turbo I posted is better, that internal gate turbo is wayyyy too small.

Shifting at 6200rpm is just about right for that cam, and with the turbo it'll actually make power up there, unless you get that little pea shooter turbo you posted. :mamoru:

Seriously though, don't get that turbo. :squint:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info