• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

turbo guys/3800 gurus. what should i run for a pcv setup on my turbo pricks.f

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
alright so i have been redoing some stuff in my black car off and on for a lil bit now in my spare time (extremely hard to come by...)

one of the few things remaining is setting up something to properly relieve crankcase gasses.

before I had front valvecovers on both heads with fittings tapped into the oil caps on each side, they ran to a "T" and then to a ghettofab catch can with a breather on the top.

also- passages for it are blocked off in the throttle body.

but what do you recommend... as economical as possible. :hs:

there is no room to put something before my turbo to create a vacuum as my air filter sits directly on the turbo and there is no room to put in an elbow or anything like that.

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
that system setup should be plenty sufficient, while you loose a tiny bit of upper cylinder lubrication your current setup keeps oil out of the chambers and that means less chance of detonation, my only suggestion is that you use 1/2 in hose from each cover and run them individually to the breather/catch can.

the larger the catch can the better and some sort of condensation medium would help keep oil vapor from escaping/coating engine bay

for pure race i would suggest a vacum pump or a header evac setup

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Homemade catch can. You can find plastic ones for pretty cheap on the eBay. I need a catch can....I'm sick of oil in my tb and ic.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Edit: missed the part about the tb being blocked. Disregard the stuff below....

I'd also think about running a filter on it to "catch" oil....I've read of people building catch cans and they never get oil in them cause the setup is too smooth and the vapors pass right by with oil. They're big in the Subaru world.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
that system setup should be plenty sufficient, while you loose a tiny bit of upper cylinder lubrication your current setup keeps oil out of the chambers and that means less chance of detonation, my only suggestion is that you use 1/2 in hose from each cover and run them individually to the breather/catch can.

the larger the catch can the better and some sort of condensation medium would help keep oil vapor from escaping/coating engine bay

what should I use for a condensation medium?

cuz right before i took apart my car... condensation was getting into my setup cuz in the filler neck would be some condensation... not in my oil at all- but close.

Turbocharged400sbc

Reaction score
im refering to the oil condensing, what your describing sounds like short trip condensation from the engine not running at full temp long enough to burn it away...taste it and see if it's bittersweet...ya might have a coolant seepage issue

char-boy or other large fiber steel wool

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
oh I understand. maybe it was from me running a 160 thermostat and not driving the car ever once winter happened? too late to taste it... it gone.

and i now understand the steel wool deal for the catch can.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
I have a clear plastic fuel filter you can have...have dozens at work. Seems like a normal thing people use

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
hey ron.. i see you in heree... whatchu got...

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
how big are the nips on that thing.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
that may be on the small side from what turbocharged400sbc said above... ill let you know.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score

1/2 in od or id?

Turbocharged400sbc

Reaction score
hose is sized by id

really all ya need is a common breather tank with two nipples and a filter on top and fill it with a charboy pad

but if your going the route of the riv (with a possibility of using the pcv system close to oem function in the future) your looking for one of these with 1/2in npt fittings (this one has a metal protector of the clear collection bowl)
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200132274_200132274

then your would run the outlet to your current catch can/breather

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom