Turbo Build for 2017

TrboGT

Aug 29, 2016
I've been runnin ARP studs with Felpro Gaskets I put a coat of copper spray on for the last few times it's come apart. Do you recommend using MLS? And I switched to a double timing chain and 130# springs. Though I'd like to go back to the stock timing chain. I dislike installing the double.

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
do not recommend going back to stock chain with those springs. Additionally, I learned the necessity for proper valvespring pressures with my turbo car this year. Heavy springs should definitely help you.

Kevin's car has never had head gasket problems with MLS gaskets installed. I have felpro, and they work. I prefer to have a "fuse" in the system, so I prefer to have a head gasket go instead of hard parts like pistons.

Having a good clean and flat surface on heads and block is key to making MLS work. They have specific RMS surface roughness values to follow for optimum performance. Could deck the block and get some more compression, especially if the car is run on E85. This does end up with more low end torque, which a FWD car can't really use anyway... but it is a good way to make more power.

TrboGT

Aug 29, 2016
Not marginal in my opinion. But maybe. It's a treadstone TR12 I believe. It's good sized. 50/50 water meth. I use the "Boost Juice" premixed stuff. Dual 4GPH nozzles. It's an AIS trunk mount tank/pump.

It's not a lot of meth. I had intended on staying pump gas. E85 was just and experiment. And am intending to return to it after it's running again. Though the fuel system is built big enough for E85 if I choose.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I agree that the OEM head gaskets are good enough for your power level. You can re-use the MLS gaskets though, that's an additional positive for them. If I was building a car, I wouldn't use an alky system. The problem with that is you're counting on that thing working every time you need it, and if something goes wrong with it you'll lean out and hurt the motor. I used to use mine to supply the extra fuel for the dry shot of nitrous I ran. That was risky AF :rofl: But it worked.

TrboGT

Aug 29, 2016
I don't use the alky as a crutch. My IAT sensor is after the nozzles. So if the alky system is working. The IAT reflects it. If the IAT's go crazy timing goes conservative. I'm not relying on it. Or really spraying that much more of just something I'm messing around with. My power level will ideally float around 500. Pending where boost sits. Maybe turned down a tad. I've never messed with nitrous. That sounds like a fun setup.

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
I have no opposition to Alky, I run 93 and 100% MeOH (VP M1) on the turbo car with good results. My setup is much more risky as there are no protections.

I'm interested in seeing what your IATs are at pre and post injection, and whether or not the benefit of alky is there for you. E85 really is the better mousetrap. I ran out of pump on E85, but may go back to it next season. May only keep my pre-turbo nozzle if that happens.

I think you are set up pretty well to be consistent at that level. Take weight out next.

OR. Buy a turbo regal.

TrboGT

Aug 29, 2016
I will get some logs after it's back together. I ran out of pump on E85 as well. Now on a Walbro 485 with -8 up to the rails where it Y's to -6. Stays pretty steady so far. I added in a fuel pressure gauge in car. I watch that quite a bit after losing a motor due to fuel pump not keeping up.

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
Yeah I read a lot about it too. I'm trying to learn our simulation software and need to talk to the thermodynamicist about what equation of state to use to determine the potential benefit of the evaporative cooling effect versus the amount of space taken up by the evaporated methanol. This has an associated effect on the amount of mass flow the compressor wheel can flow.

I figured I would just try it since I had the parts laying around. Its a little 2 gph nozzle I think. 15 gph in the up pipe before throttle body.

I'm going to dual 340s.

TrboGT

Aug 29, 2016
Well the new (to me) motor arrived and I got that all torn apart over the weekend. Low mile L67 for 700$ shipped. That thing is mint and looks very well taken care of. Very clean. If anyone needs any part of an L67 top end, I have multiples. And would basically give it away.

Went ahead and got an ST5 cam on the way, because why not. New head gaskets, etc... The PTC converter should arrive sometime in the near future as well. Got a really nice catch can setup from Mighty Mouse. That guy makes good stuff. Need to get the trans to Dave. Excited for the upcoming season. Should make a lot of power and not have to work hard to get there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info