🔧 BUILD Turbo 3800 T56 Swapped G-body Grand Prix w/ Holley EFI

General Information

So after joining a long time ago, I thought I'd reenter with a build thread!

The car is my 1982 Pontiac Grand Prix Brougham.

Index for people who hate long threads like me:
First time running:

Finally fixed the 4000rpm breakup

T5 Carnage/4l60e swap

Power tour 2018 Mad rush to get done:

Rear Disc brakes swap/axle shenanigans

Power Tour 2019 Prep:

Glamor shots before power tour 19:

2020 quick trip

L67 short block swap and PNP:

2021 Power Tour Prep and T56 Swap:

New Wheels Before Power Tour 2021!

Late 2021 Season Refresh: Bigger Turbo, Ford 9", 1.9 rockers and little fixes:

2022 Updates: Cam swap, next engine, twin disc Monster clutch, Holley Terminator X conversion:

1688879639988.png

THIqdP5.jpg

It originally had a Buick 4.1 liter V6 from the factory with a 350 transmission behind it. Back in high school we thought it'd be a good idea to swap an L27 into it since we had it lying around and thought it'd be cheap quick. Anything was better than the knocking 4.1 with only 130hp though. We ended up using a 700r4 as the transmission, but the transmission never played nicely despite our best efforts to fix it. The engine was shoehorned under the hood too so I gave up on it and it has been just sitting around until now. It was a silly idea and I'm glad to be getting rid of it.

mDLVV10.jpg

9TlaxWT.jpg

Now I finally have plans for the car. I acquired a donor car for the whole drivetrain and am getting ready to go to town.

The donor car is 1998 Camaro with an L36 3800 and a world class Tremec T5 transmission. The car has only 112,000 miles on it and it was totaled in a front end collision. The plan is to pull everything out of the Camaro and retrofit basically everything I can into the Grand Prix. Electronically and as far as the engine and transmission go, it will be a 1998 Camaro. It's getting the engine and transmission (obviously), the PCM, BCM, and basically everything else I can stuff into the Grand Prix while still maintaining its appearance (RKE, RAP, newer chime module, etc.). Everything should have no problem playing nicely and I should be able to reuse my motor mounts, transmission mounts, and also my current driveshaft AFAIK. The Camaro is likely to be parted out afterwards.
Most current pics I've taken:

fhbQ2oX.jpg

VM9q2xG.jpg

8O0JUCf.jpg

jsLK0M7.jpg

The main highlight of the build however is the turbo!

WBZ0ErI.jpg

This is a Holset HX35. I'm not going for a huge crazy build, but I'm shooting for somewhere around 400 hp with it. The holset should do pretty well with these goals, but I'm considering switching to a HY35 exhaust housing over the twin scroll housing.
We're looking at fabbing up our own manifolds for this and going with a 3" exhaust after the turbo. Also going to be using a 3" intercooler.

pfkhroY.jpg

The exterior of the car will stay basically stock including the vinyl top. Sleepers ftw :fy:

Other plans include stiffer sway bars, better shocks, and lowering springs front and rear for about a 1.5" - 2" drop. I'm also going to take the body off the frame so we can add more frame bracing since these frames are pretty flimsy from the factory. Also using 16 x 8 IROC Camaro rims for now with probably 245/50-16 tires for now. I might go wider in the rear though.
I've also got an 8.5" axle from an A-body Olds for it. It looks like it'll need quite a bit of work, but I also have a few different sets of ring/pinion gears for it. I'll probably stick with the 3.73 set. The axle supposedly doesn't use c-clips to hold the axles in, but I think that whatever is supposed to hold them in is missing. It'll also need at least a new passenger side axle since the previous owner drilled larger studs in. It currently has disc brake rotors on it, and also caliper mounting brackets that supposedly fit "metric gm" calipers, but I really have no idea what will fit it. In the meantime though I'll use my 7.5" for now with the disc brakes from the Camaro until the 7.5" breaks.

OdvU1MC.jpg

Any idea what these brakes are from?

YWHcNT7.jpg

I know most people with these cars are obsessed with carbureted V8's, but I feel like I've made the right choice here. The V6 will be much lighter than a V8 especially with a manual transmission. This will help to remove extra weight from the front of the car and bring it closer to a 50/50 weight ratio. It'll also offer a ton of power and still give great fuel economy. Not to mention I can also tune it with my laptop! I suppose the idea is it's basically a Pontiac Grand National but with the more modern 3.8, more power, and a manual transmission.

The biggest challenge will be getting the turbo in here, and also getting the manual transmission into the car. Luckily the T5 uses a hydraulic clutch so clutch fork geometry won't be an issue. I'm still a little bit hesitant about cutting up my floorboards for the shifter though. It's looking like I will also have to do something about the seats since the shifter will sit where the middle seat is at. We'll see about using a center console... Those bridges will be crossed when we come to them though.

The first challenge was transporting the car over to my brother's house where there's a garage I can work on this in. I originally tried to just drive it out there, but the engine pretty much said "fuck this, I'm done". After a long night, we ended up trailer-ing it the next day.

lC9Ak5N.jpg

vkKgIsN.jpg

Here it is finally in the garage last night:

CoAkvNn.jpg

yeah, it's dark. my bad.

Progress!

EplyXZU.jpg

front clip removed:

vi3O9Fa.jpg

ZTcTwrI.jpg

engine removed:

12huSIv.jpg

A9jAPYz.jpg

I'm powered by Rockstar!

8PhMj52.jpg

So much room for activities!!!

B5IVhTP.jpg

So basically all of the remains of the L27 are gone. I have also started to separate the body from the frame. I got all of the body mounts disconnected, but called it quits after attempting to remove the rear bumper. Hopefully I can get the body off the frame tomorrow and get started on removing the engine and transmission from the Camaro. I've got a long road ahead of me, but I'll have this done for the Woodward Dream Cruise I'm sure.

Thanks for reading!

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
I haven't bothered to go the track in forever because it still has the 2.41 gears and an open differential ?
I'm thinking it should be trapping a little over 110 with that amount of boost and if it could actually launch it should be in the mid to low 12s

That does remind me though, I learned this car actually weighs a little more than I thought it did. I found a local person doing corner weight testing for pretty cheap so I had it weighed late last year
kriJKzh.jpg

She's a big girl for a g-body :D

I'm pretty sure I'm reaching the limit of what this turbo can do up there though, it honestly feels faster to me at around 18 psi than it does at that boost level. Could also just be the valve float issue everyone is always talking about but I'm not sure.
With the head gasket failing too I'm a bit afraid to take it back up to that level of boost again until I can get the heads and block decked and some MLS gaskets in there. Ideally even a set of fire rings there too to help keep things in place haha!

For now I'm going to keep the boost down a bit so I can feel more comfortable revving it out though.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that you still have the stock 7.5" rear. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for some decent deals on 8.5"s for you. Haha

I know there are people who are going to say forget about MLS. I'd probably be more scared about breaking a piston or something with well sealed MLS, but I'm nowhere near ready for that much boost either.

Reactions: bs009

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
If you can find a good one for cheap I'd probably be all over it, but I haven't had much luck finding anything that I felt good about. I had a 3.73 axle in here at one point but it needed a new gear set since it was howling so bad

I'm pretty much at the point where I'm ready to just start saving for one of those ebay 9" axles made for these cars

I think the most likely next step for me for engine power would be to put a bigger cam in here so I don't have to put so much pressure down the tubes, but I think I'll need a way to get a bigger compressor wheel in there before I can do that. It's so stupid fast as it is though already, enough that every time I run it hard I'm worried about breaking another transmission or something else in the engine ?

I'll just go ahead and stop thinking about more power , reliability and drivability are going to be the mantras for this car this year ?

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Lol! You still just have the stock cam right? I saw a guy selling an ST5, LS7 lifters and 150# springs for $600 or something and I started liking my chops a bit... I love the way the ST5 sounds, but I'm pretty positive that I'd end up regretting it when I leave a whole bunch of low end torque on the table.

• Haha
Reactions: Rdrnnr and bs009

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
yuuup I am right now. I like the ST5 but I really want to try a custom grind with a lot more duration though. A lot of the modern LS cams have a ton more duration than what any of the 3800 cams have so I want to try something like that especially considering how bad these heads flow in comparison to other engines.
I would probably have jumped on that deal though if I had seen it, especially if it had the timing chain and machined oil pump cover too

Reactions: Rdrnnr and v6buicks

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Won't need any help finding a rear end now. It'll be a while before it gets here but I finally caved and ordered a brand new rear end!
Should be a no fuss solid unit compared to the last few I've been wasting time with.

Probably won't be here in time for power tour though. 8 week lead time to get it produced supposedly

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Settled on a 3.50 ratio for this round. Didn't really put a lot of thought into the 3.50 ratio, but I know that a 3.42:1 would be ideal for this with the current tire size, trans ratios, and rpm limit for the 1/4 mile. Apparently Ford uses different ratios though so I settled on 3.50 instead. I figured I can always get a taller tire for the strip if I need to.
Differential is going to be a Eaton Truetrac since it seemed like the best option for autocross, twisty roads, racing, and everything else.

really hoping it arrives early though, would love to be able to have some burnout action at the hotels with both tires participating instead of just one! :LOL:

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Going to be a good time to start following for sure, lot of things in the works for this thing finally!

Started working on the car now. Settled on replacing a lot of the front suspension, front brakes, and will be getting a transmission refresh in addition to the already mentioned rear end!

New digs:
vdG7MR7.jpg

Barely fits in the garage... she's tight!
iu

i6g2ceX.jpg

Really looking forward to buying another house with a proper garage in the next year or 2 once if real estate ever calms down.

hSGDAjA.jpg

Trans is out today now
GZHuarE.jpg

new parts!

ANmM5vj.jpg

New front suspension parts:

iioyJrr.jpg

Brakes:

DMmBdGi.jpg

Going to start working on getting one of these ready to be installed soon. Just waiting on a few parts:

2xqa8Mn.jpg

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Started on some of the suspension and brakes. I can't actually run the new brakes until the new wheels arrive so right now it's kind of just a test fit. The wheels are supposedly getting shipped in 2 weeks or so. But with the way everything else has been going with finding parts I'm not holding my breath.

Learned that g-body knuckles and blazer knuckles have different bolt hole locations. For some reason I thought they were 100% identical.

kore3 c5 brake swap kit for the blazer knuckles:
rjLZNqG.jpg

new ~13" c5 rotors compared to the Blazer rotors:
IhXtmJ6.jpg

niiiiiice

Ll4eSkY.jpg

GjiHoTC.jpg

ltjW88A.jpg

swapped out the stock steering box with a Monte Carlo SS box

zl6Bi5b.jpg

TRZ bump steer kit! which apparently might need to be cut short on the inner tie rod end because it's so long. We'll see but I think it's going to be close

q4ucg6i.jpg

out with the old stock springs too! No more bouncy boatlike front end hopefully

Eri26hD.jpg

New springs in the front have a higher spring rate and should lower the car from factory height a little bit. The old springs were so worn though that it'll probably actually raise the car ?
That spring compressor did not participate in today's activities. What a PITA that thing was, way easier to install the new springs without it.

Was going to swap out the control arm bushings but realized my vise isn't quite big enough for the job. Now just need to do all of that to the other side.
Right now I have so many things that I'm waiting on shipping for though. One is coming from Australia so I have no idea how long that'll take. Supposedly it was shipped out though today. ?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
All the shipping and shortage stuff is just killing me right now. If I had my transmission delivered in reasonable time the Camaro would be done by now, and the Volvo would be undergoing major surgery. The GN probably never would have gotten the much deserved love, so I guess that's a plus. However it wasn't exactly part of my "regime". lol

Anyway, its cool to see somebody doing some of the G-body mods that I've always been interested in doing. I forget. The S10 knuckles are pretty much just to open up brake options right? Do they raise or lower the car at all on their own?

Reactions: Rdrnnr and bs009

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I don't wanna muddy up your thread, but how's Nashville? What was your motivation for the move? As much as I appreciate the low cost of living in Indiana, it's so friggen lame here. We're considering moving up to WI or MI in a few years because we like the year-round activities up there better than what we have here. Plus, we would still not be too far from family. I hear that auto insurance is virtually unaffordable for multi-car owners in MI due its "no fault" BS. Not to mention the other government issues. Was it more of a push or a pull for you? You can PM me if you want to take it somewhere else. lol I'm just really curious to hear from somebody who actually made the move.

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
The blazer knuckles don't change anything with the suspension or ride height, but they benefit to me was the sealed unit bearing separate from the rotors and the dual piston front calipers with .5" larger brakes iirc.
When I first decided to go that route I thought that everything was the same with the brake caliper mounting brackets so it seemed like a good way to get ready for big brakes without having to modify the stock spindles or pack bearings.
The downside I've found so far is that brake upgrades are a bit more expensive with the blazer knuckles for something like Brembos because the brackets cost so much more money. The C5/c6 bracket wasn't too expensive and should give wayy more stopping power than even the blazer brakes so I'm still happy with my decision so far.

I'll PM you about the move, but there was a lot that went into my reason to move for sure. Pushers, pullers, and the covid stuff really pushed me over the edge. I do love Michigan and would still go back there again, but there's a lot of things that were starting to bother me about it, some were more unique to where I'm at in life though.

Reactions: v6buicks

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Took a lot of L's this weekend.
Got nothing done at all, in fact took a step backwards instead. New steering box I installed has a LOT of slop in it. Turning the input shaft on it does nothing to the pitman arm for like 20* of steering wheel movement. Steering shaft itself is nice and tight so that's not the issue. Apparently you can adjust these so I took it back out of the car to try and do that only to find that it can't be adjusted anymore than it is. You'd think they'd ship it already adjusted properly. Sending this one back in the morning hoping a different one is a lot tighter. Hopefully summit can exchange it quickly

Also had another transmission part arrive with no foam in the box to protect it and its case was bent and cracked. Hoping I can get that replaced ASAP from Summit. I've had bad luck with getting exchanges done quickly with them.

This is a thing though at least
24In6jS.jpg

bs009

Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
Yupp, I tightened down the one on top that seemed like it only affected the way it felt when the wheel was in the center position. I then learned there's another nut at the front too that you can adjust and I tried tightening that one too, but couldn't get it to tighten any more. I was able to loosen it so it wasn't seized or anything from what I could tell, just wasn't letting it go any tighter

• Sad
Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Thread Info