Turbo 3800 issues

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Kinda stumped, had this issue once before under similar circumstances but it "fixed itself" fairly quickly.

Went through some standing water, it wasn't deep enough for the motor to ingest it, but enough for it to cause the belt to slip for about a minute, at most, leaving the voltage hanging around 11.30. The belt dried off, voltage came back and now since then under idle or low throttle input the car runs so lean it either idles like shit (when warmed up) or dies out (when it's cold). Under any throttle input beyond (I'm guessing here) 20% it acts like normal but below that it starts to lean out per my Wideband and struggle. It seems once it's warmed up that it's back to normal but a cold start it's just a huge pain in the ass.

My tune does need work since I installed the 80's and the only new to me code I saw was about bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor. I reset the codes but nothing has tripped in my short time driving it besides random multiple misfire. I always had a system too lean or maybe rich which I equated to needing a retune since it only came when I added the 80's. If need be I can put the 42.5lbers back on and the tune zzp sent me home with as I never had any issues with it but the car has been running decently this way, just not ideal of course.

Is the MAF taking a shit? oxygen sensor? MAP? I just don't get how that water ok the belt situation correlates. I didn't see any vacuum leaks and all vacuum lines look fine. I haven't changed anything under hood either. Maybe the fuel pump?

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
sounds like a MAF to me. my retarded car on e85 60# injectors with the s1x cam seems to eat MAFs i dont know why but ive gone through like 3. same thing stumbles misfires and idles like hell.

ive had to ride the gas to keep it from dying and limp it to a parts store. lucky it wasnt far lol knew it was the 2nd time maf again got to napa checked the codes from aero force sure is shit. forget which code at the moment.

thats where id start anyways.

ohh i should add i keep a junk yard spare under my arm rest along with a small pencil type bit driver lol.

known problem happened a few times might as well roll prepared. :rofl: #3800strugglesarereal

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
wait. did you actually tune for 80lb injectors or did you just connect them.

I changed the injector tables for them, however since adding them the idle has run rich.. BUT I added the Wideband when I added the injectors so not sure what everything looked like straight from ZZP. Injectors with the tables modified have been in the car roughly 8 months.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
sounds like a MAF to me. my retarded car on e85 60# injectors with the s1x cam seems to eat MAFs i dont know why but ive gone through like 3. same thing stumbles misfires and idles like hell.

ive had to ride the gas to keep it from dying and limp it to a parts store. lucky it wasnt far lol knew it was the 2nd time maf again got to napa checked the codes from aero force sure is shit. forget which code at the moment.

thats where id start anyways.

ohh i should add i keep a junk yard spare under my arm rest along with a small pencil type bit driver lol.

known problem happened a few times might as well roll prepared. :rofl: #3800strugglesarereal

LT1 MAF sensor, back from when the whole setup was in the other 04. So it's probably 8/9 years old.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
not to doubt your abilities at all whatsoever, but are you 100% certain you changed the tables correct?

No lol.. I made a thread about it on here and changed them. I mean other than idle being rich it ran fine.

However I don't think this is my super lean problem as this problem just started two days ago where as the injectors and modified tables were done 8 months ago.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
replacing the maf? because despite the parts hes changed and things he has modded this specific issue is recent and wasnt doing it right after the 80s were put in.

the symptoms in post #1 still make me think maf hell ive experienced same thing multiple times my car eats mafs faster than i can make a set of tires go bald lol.....

that's not "right" though... like that shouldn't be happening :rofl: you have some other problem.

have you data logged with you scanner? Should tell you if it's the maf or something else

this.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
i dont get why ive gone through 3 either. who knows every single time its thrown same code exact same symptoms. but yeah getting 3 junk mafs or mafs that dont last very long is pretty absurd.

for all i know at the moment that car may be getting a different engine when i get home. less than a month and ill be back stateside :fy: SOON!

not to derail but im trying to see if my shit runs before :s00ls: :rofl:

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
have you data logged with you scanner? Should tell you if it's the maf or something else

Problem is the laptop I used with powrtuner died so I haven't been able to. I'm trying to acquire one but the last time I really messed with powrtuner besides changing the injector tables was YEARS ago. I've gotten dumber since then

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
With both the o2 n maf being trusted sensors it's really a matter of just replacing the cheaper one to see if the problem goes away. with a good Denso sensor being $40 it's the cheaper first diagnostic step over the mass airflow sensor. Tho it would help to make sure that the filaments are clean with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Funny you say that its been doing this since the water. I remember going through a few non-so-deep areas of water on the road last summer with the turbonnie and it stumbled terribly. No lasting issues popped up, but I thought it was weird, it would like almost die. I just try to avoid going through any standing water now.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Funny you say that its been doing this since the water. I remember going through a few non-so-deep areas of water on the road last summer with the turbonnie and it stumbled terribly. No lasting issues popped up, but I thought it was weird, it would like almost die. I just try to avoid going through any standing water now.

NEVER AGAIN. It did this one other time when I went through a similar not so deep area, but cleared it self up relatively quickly. Otherwise since going turbo 15k ago it's been nothing short of amazing never skipping a beat.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info