• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Tuning my BMW

Fast335i

Sep 10, 2014
Does anyone know a shop that is familiar with tuning BMW's? more specifically a 2007 335i....Most places tune with the COBB accessport but I have the JB4 piggyback from Burger Motorports. I am looking to do a custom tune for an E85 blend....thanks

I have had most of my work done by Fluid motorunion but they seem too busy to do this final tune...im guessing its around 2 hour or so....

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Does anyone know a shop that is familiar with tuning BMW's? more specifically a 2007 335i....Most places tune with the COBB accessport but I have the JB4 piggyback from Burger Motorports. I am looking to do a custom tune for an E85 blend....thanks

I have had most of my work done by Fluid motorunion but they seem too busy to do this final tune...im guessing its around 2 hour or so....

The JB4 should support e85 autotunes if set on the correct map and is a G5 board with a newer firmware. I had one before and I just set it on map 5 and ran an e50 blend on my 135i and 335xi. Read up on it, no need to pay a shop to select your map and fill your tank

E Series N54 JB4 - N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion

Fast335i

Sep 10, 2014
The JB4 should support e85 autotunes if set on the correct map and is a G5 board with a newer firmware. I had one before and I just set it on map 5 and ran an e50 blend on my 135i and 335xi. Read up on it, no need to pay a shop to select your map and fill your tank

E Series N54 JB4 - N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion

I know the map settings for the jb4....but I want a custom map which is option map 6....Bc I want to know my fuel pumps ...afrs. ...timING...etc are all healthy. I don't want any issues I know running to much e85 can do...Esp the long term.....so I don't want to always run the e85 blend....are there any shops for the bmw besides fluid?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I think the problem is that you might not understand what you have versus a true tune. The JB4 is a piggyback module, not a true tune. The Cobb is a true tune. If you need a true tune you need a Cobb and a lot of people still piggyback the JB4 on top of that because of the JB4's functionality.

But it's not like you can just upload a custom tune to the JB4 and all of the sudden that's your tune. There's only a few variables you can play with in Map 6 like mapping boost, peak boost, max boost in 1st and 2nd gear, etc. It's not a custom tune so much as it's as it's a custom map.

jb4.png

Also you don't need a custom tune for E85 unless you're doing something really wacky. If you're running a mixture you can run it on Map 5 and do a few 3rd gear pulls. It will quickly get you up to the safest maximum boost. If you're know you're mixture exactly you can just kick it up to Map 7. I usually run Map 7 when I'm on E85. It's not an auto tune but it has a higher target boost than Map 5.

Fast335i

Sep 10, 2014
I think the problem is that you might not understand what you have versus a true tune. The JB4 is a piggyback module, not a true tune. The Cobb is a true tune. If you need a true tune you need a Cobb and a lot of people still piggyback the JB4 on top of that because of the JB4's functionality.

But it's not like you can just upload a custom tune to the JB4 and all of the sudden that's your tune. There's only a few variables you can play with in Map 6 like mapping boost, peak boost, max boost in 1st and 2nd gear, etc. It's not a custom tune so much as it's as it's a custom map.

jb4.png

Also you don't need a custom tune for E85 unless you're doing something really wacky. If you're running a mixture you can run it on Map 5 and do a few 3rd gear pulls. It will quickly get you up to the safest maximum boost. If you're know you're mixture exactly you can just kick it up to Map 7. I usually run Map 7 when I'm on E85. It's not an auto tune but it has a higher target boost than Map 5.

That is probably the best explanation I have gotten in regards to the maps for the JB4....even off of n54tech.com

you have the JB4 still? what blend did you usually run on map 7?....

I usually put in 2 galllons of e85 per 6 gallons of 93....that should be around 30% right? I don't have an upgraded HPFP but I did install in walbro 255 inline pump so that I COULD do a mixture....I just am afraid of my HPFP going out.... I run map 2 when I do the mixture I just stated..

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
That is probably the best explanation I have gotten in regards to the maps for the JB4....even off of n54tech.com

you have the JB4 still? what blend did you usually run on map 7?….

Typically I drive to empty, put the first 6 gallons in as E85 and then top off with premium. It works for me but you're running the fuel system at it's max here so run with auto-code delete off for a bit to make sure you're not running into issues. If the car over boosts and kicks you back into Map 4 then you probably want to be in Map 5 full time or set up Map 6 with slightly lower targets than 7.

I usually put in 2 galllons of e85 per 6 gallons of 93....that should be around 30% right? I don't have an upgraded HPFP but I did install in walbro 255 inline pump so that I COULD do a mixture....I just am afraid of my HPFP going out.... I run map 2 when I do the mixture I just stated..

If your car is a 2007 you've almost certainly got the latest revision HPFP in there anyhow. They pretty much all failed. That and unless you're so stupidly obviously modified your pump is warranted until 125,000 miles.

Either way I'd be running in Map 5 versus Map 2. Map 2 pegs you out at 14.5lbs whereas 5 will take you to 17 if it can.

Fast335i

Sep 10, 2014
Typically I drive to empty, put the first 6 gallons in as E85 and then top off with premium. It works for me but you're running the fuel system at it's max here so run with auto-code delete off for a bit to make sure you're not running into issues. If the car over boosts and kicks you back into Map 4 then you probably want to be in Map 5 full time or set up Map 6 with slightly lower targets than 7.

If your car is a 2007 you've almost certainly got the latest revision HPFP in there anyhow. They pretty much all failed. That and unless you're so stupidly obviously modified your pump is warranted until 125,000 miles.

Either way I'd be running in Map 5 versus Map 2. Map 2 pegs you out at 14.5lbs whereas 5 will take you to 17 if it can.

In map 2 im getting about 16 max boost...unless my boost gauge is in accurate? I did know map 2 is pegged at 14.5 but like I said im getting about 15-16 max boost...yes my car is a 2007 so you belive the HPFP will fail eventually?

But, I did put like 3 gallons in for about 8 gallons of 93...car felt strong...but Im assuming I can do more?

Do you still have the BT cable for the JB4?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info