Tremec Discontinues TKO Transmission Series to Make Way for the TKX

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon

I may be the only person excited about this, but this thing sounds like an all around better unit for an equally great price. Capable of 8k rpm max with 7500 rpm shifts and still holding 600ft/lbs for under $3k. Sign me up!

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel

I may be the only person excited about this, but this thing sounds like an all around better unit for an equally great price. Capable of 8k rpm max with 7500 rpm shifts and still holding 600ft/lbs for under $3k. Sign me up!
Your other thread had me looking at tko’s since it’s bolt in option for me. This is rad news

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
hopefully I can keep my hydraulic clutch setup like the tko since they’re the same stuff for a Muncie.
I'm sure everything is dimensionally the same as a TKO. There was an HTOB kit for TKOs that basically just slipped around the bearing retainer. Then you replaced one of the retainer bolts with a long pin. Pretty simple once you get it shimmed properly. The one thing I worry about with my set-up is that the TKO kit recommends a 3/4" master cylinder bore. I don't know how they can say that when they are unaware of what clutch, pressure plate or pedal I'm using though. Either way, my master cylinder is 7/8'. I guess I'll just have to reset my pedal travel. NBD.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I'm sure everything is dimensionally the same as a TKO. There was an HTOB kit for TKOs that basically just slipped around the bearing retainer. Then you replaced one of the retainer bolts with a long pin. Pretty simple once you get it shimmed properly. The one thing I worry about with my set-up is that the TKO kit recommends a 3/4" master cylinder bore. I don't know how they can say that when they are unaware of what clutch, pressure plate or pedal I'm using though. Either way, my master cylinder is 7/8'. I guess I'll just have to reset my pedal travel. NBD.
That’s what I’ve got on my Muncie. The pedal ratio thing is confusing as fuck and even the Chevy counterpart pedal stuff isn’t plug and play. Mine feels too difficult so I think I need to either pony up and buy someone’s bracket for the master or drill holes in my firewall to move it up and then make a new hole in the pedal.

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
For real! The biggest complaint with TKOs seemed to be the crappy high rpm shifting. It sounds like Tremec listened.
It was terrible.... I had a TKO in my 98 GT that had mild ported heads and intake, and I couldn't shift it over 6500 RPM. Ended up making me sell the whole damn car because I was sick of throwing money at it.

• Wow

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
It was terrible.... I had a TKO in my 98 GT that had mild ported heads and intake, and I couldn't shift it over 6500 RPM. Ended up making me sell the whole damn car because I was sick of throwing money at it.
Yikes. I hope the reviews for the TKX are a lot better. I'd be pissed if I spent that kind of money on a trans for it to still not do what it needs to do.

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
Yikes. I hope the reviews for the TKX are a lot better. I'd be pissed if I spent that kind of money on a trans for it to still not do what it needs to do.
Yeah, I had just broken my 3rd T-45 and I dropped over $3k on the TKO, bell housing, and clutch. It also sucked around town, the straight cut gears whined like a mofo. I did a T-56 swap in my buddies 2014 GT, and it's awesome compared to the TKO.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
T-56's definitely have issues at high RPM shifting though. Needs perfect clutch master/slave, and even then the shift forks (particularly 2-3) can still get out of round and cause shift refusals.

My T-56 is will take a 1-2 shift at 7k no problem. On 2-3 shifts, It locks me out probably half the time if I try and shift past 6500 fast. I can baby it and it'll shift, but I lose some good momentum that way. I could do upgrades to fix it. But for the cost of the upgrades I'd almost be better off buying a Tremec Magnum F with the ideal close ratio gearing. Magnum F is supposed to handle 8000rpm shifts too.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Am I the only one in here who has actually ordered one of these? My initial three week lead time has long come and gone, but I still have no idea when it's going to be here. I bought mine from Jegs, but I've been following the lead times both there and on Summit because they tell you without needing to order first. Plus, They used to have different suppliers. As of today's check, it appears that Summit has actually dropped American Powertrain as supplier. Their header got smaller, they aren't as easy to search for, and everything listed under that brand is either in stock at a Summit warehouse or just unavailable. They're working with McLeod now which is the same as who Jegs works with.

It's been two months, but I still want the transmission! Current ETA is end of June, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm sure it comes down to the same delays due to all the other shortages around the world, but it's still wild.

Reactions: GTPpower

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I also have a issue with going into 3rd or 5th and the shifter gets jammed up. Probably my fault.

I don't have goodies in the trans though. We did a minor rebuild on it due to parts sourcing issues and time crunch. It needs to come back apart and be done 100% but I won't do it until I have all the parts on hand.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I also have a issue with going into 3rd or 5th and the shifter gets jammed up. Probably my fault.

I don't have goodies in the trans though. We did a minor rebuild on it due to parts sourcing issues and time crunch. It needs to come back apart and be done 100% but I won't do it until I have all the parts on hand.
T5s and TKOs are kind of a lost cause in this department, but the T56 is supposed to be pretty darn good with billet forks and shift rods. Being a side loader like a TKX eliminates most of the case flexing issues you see in the older 5-speeds. I doubt that your driving is the problem given what you just said.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

taws697

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 11, 2015
West Chicago, IL
Real Name
Wes
Still waiting. ETA was 7/9 until this morning. It's been pushed to Monday, but I'm betting it will change to August when Monday rolls around. :cautious:
Damn, hopefully you get it soon. I’m definitely interested in how this trans works out for you. Seems like it will finally fill a giant gap in the market.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I'll be watching. The T56 in my GTA pissses me off, and while I can spend $$$ and upgrade it, I might be better off selling it and buying this.
Really? Dang. Is yours an OE version? I feel like it would be worthwhile to just spring for the Magnum since a T56 is already in there, but I don't know the details of swapping between an OE and Magnum or what needed to happen to put the T56 in in the 3rd gen. Do you still have the long torque arm or a shorty?

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Really? Dang. Is yours an OE version? I feel like it would be worthwhile to just spring for the Magnum since a T56 is already in there, but I don't know the details of swapping between an OE and Magnum or what needed to happen to put the T56 in in the 3rd gen. Do you still have the long torque arm or a shorty?

OOps, I was thinking the TKX was the new 6spd, not the 5spd. My bad.

I think its the Magnum-F I wanted actually.

My car has the stock TA, I have a Founders TA I can put in, that's stock length.

What I really wanted was the Unbalanced Engineering de-coupled TA, but they don't make it anymore. It says to email cause they do it in batches, but I haven't ever gotten a response back on it. :(

My T56 HATES high RPM shifts. The further I take it past 6500 the more unhappy it gets, and the slower I have to shift it. Some of that is clutch, some of that is synchro design. The shift fork design is also weak on the 2-3, so its a common problem. I can shift at 6500, but 7200rpm is so much sweeter.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
OOps, I was thinking the TKX was the new 6spd, not the 5spd. My bad.

I think its the Magnum-F I wanted actually.

My car has the stock TA, I have a Founders TA I can put in, that's stock length.

What I really wanted was the Unbalanced Engineering de-coupled TA, but they don't make it anymore. It says to email cause they do it in batches, but I haven't ever gotten a response back on it. :(

My T56 HATES high RPM shifts. The further I take it past 6500 the more unhappy it gets, and the slower I have to shift it. Some of that is clutch, some of that is synchro design. The shift fork design is also weak on the 2-3, so its a common problem. I can shift at 6500, but 7200rpm is so much sweeter.
That makes a whole lot more sense. Haha Yeah, the new Magnum should be a pretty solid upgrade in your case.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info