Traveling with CCW

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
So my wife and I are taking a road trip for our anniversary, and of course since I have my CCW, I wanted to take it and have it. Now, as far as where IL CCW is legal, I checked and it will be legal in Indiana and Ohio. Pennsylvania and New York it is not accepted, and those states are very restrictive when it comes to even possessing firearms. If we were just passing through, I could just leave it in the trunk unloaded, however we will be staying a night in Philly, along with 3 nights in NYC and a night in Cooperstown, and everything Ive read so far states that if you are staying in the state, then you have to obey their laws.

This is more or less leading me to believe that I should just leave it at home and call it a day, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experience yet traveling with their firearms.

CntrlFreak

Reaction score
I have but not to states that restrictive, there is an app CCW for like $1 it's a amazing app with links to all local info, updates are free an often to make sure you have the latest.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
As long as the mag is out and no bullet chambered, you can still carry it if you wanted to. As long as it's in a compartment like a backpack, fannie pack, or gun box. Even your trunk or glove box. All of those ways are technically transporting, not concealing.

Fish

Donating Member
Reaction score
I have but not to states that restrictive, there is an app CCW for like $1 it's a amazing app with links to all local info, updates are free an often to make sure you have the latest.
Interesting. Ill have to take a look at that.

As long as the mag is out and no bullet chambered, you can still carry it if you wanted to. As long as it's in a compartment like a backpack, fannie pack, or gun box. Even your trunk or glove box. All of those ways are technically transporting, not concealing.
From what I have gathered, and I could be wrong, is that NY and PA dont even want you doing that. At least thats how I am taking it. Like I said, I could be wrong. Here are the sites Ive seen about PA and NY.

Guns in Vehicles in Pennsylvania | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

Guns in Vehicles in New York | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

Come to think of it, my XDm and the M&P compact would both be illegal in NY due to the magazine. Staying in Manhattan probably wouldnt be a good idea to even have it. Even though its probably the biggest place Id want it.

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
If going to NY make sure you understand the magazine capacity limits. I believe it's 10 round magazines and if you poses a higher capacity even if it's empty you may get into a legal issue.

If you're going to carry I'd just get a 10 round mag for the whole trip. This way you should be good regardless of what state you go to that also recognizes your CCW.

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
Just conceal the weapon properly and no one will know. Police aren't going to walk up to you and randomly ask to do a pat down if you aren't acting like a moron.

CobraSki03

Reaction score
I have a ccw and have traveled to other states. I contact the state police to which I am traveling to and get their laws/restrictions.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
Throwing my $.02 in here. Seems like more hassle than it's worth to try and comply in umpteen different states. Just don't carry or do it illegally.

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
Throwing my $.02 in here. Seems like more hassle than it's worth to try and comply in umpteen different states. Just don't carry or do it illegally.
I tend to agree, sounds like a total pain in the ass and I would just leave the gun at home for the trip.

Shadylady

Reaction score
How much time do you have until your trip? Arizona CCW is recognized in New York and Pennsylvania (among countless others). The Arizona Concealed Carry Class is taught a lot locally and you mail your app to Arizona. I'm not sure how long current processing speeds are, however, you may be able to send prints electronically.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Reaction score
So, my CCW class is still fresh in my head.

Per the Instructor, if you travel through New York, you CANNOT stay the night, if you have a firearm in your car, regardless of it being in a locked container.

You can pass through, stop for gas, etc. As long as you don't get caught, you're fine. But, if you do, there will be fines, you will most likely be detained if you're not just passing through.

We were warned over and over again about New York, New Jersey and one other. PA is not as strict, you should not have a problem. But, NYC is an issue and unless you have a NY permit, the state allows traveling through it, which is trumped by federal. But, the rule being, you cannot stay overnight with it.

Personally, don't even bring any firearm. Bring a couple of knives or something. Avoid the hassle of being detained in NY.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

https://www.usacarry.com/new_york_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

Trying to find the thing we studied, but, you can travel with an unloaded firearm through NYC, but, cannot stay overnight with one.

Lead Pipe

I'm Tiny Riiiiiiiiick
Reaction score
Last October I drove to Destin FL. and FL was the only state that didn't accept the IL CCL. When I got over the AL/FL boarder I unloaded the gun and put it in a case under the rear seat with ammo separated.

Over Labor Day Weekend I did the same drive you're doing on my way to upstate NY for a wedding. NY is such a mother fucker that I didn't carry the whole trip. I left all my firearms at home. Not worth having an issue 800 miles from home IMO.

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Reaction score
Judged by 12 or carried by 6. Do what makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
If my destination was ever a place that was so strict about their gun laws that I wouldn't be able to carry it anyway I would just leave it at home the entire time. I don't see the point in carrying for the drive if I'm going to stop at the state line of my destination and make the point of carrying useless.

Fish

Donating Member
Reaction score
So, my CCW class is still fresh in my head.

Per the Instructor, if you travel through New York, you CANNOT stay the night, if you have a firearm in your car, regardless of it being in a locked container.

You can pass through, stop for gas, etc. As long as you don't get caught, you're fine. But, if you do, there will be fines, you will most likely be detained if you're not just passing through.

We were warned over and over again about New York, New Jersey and one other. PA is not as strict, you should not have a problem. But, NYC is an issue and unless you have a NY permit, the state allows traveling through it, which is trumped by federal. But, the rule being, you cannot stay overnight with it.

Personally, don't even bring any firearm. Bring a couple of knives or something. Avoid the hassle of being detained in NY.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

https://www.usacarry.com/new_york_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

Trying to find the thing we studied, but, you can travel with an unloaded firearm through NYC, but, cannot stay overnight with one.
Thats pretty much what I was gathering from my research. We arent passing through. We are staying a few nights in NY and might be making a stop at Jay and Silent Bobs secret shack if I have my way in Jersey.

Looks like Im leaving it at home. Not a huge loss, but I would have liked the option of at least having it in my car at least. My plan was to just pull over and put it in the trunk at the PA boarder, but I dont want to get messed with at all.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Reaction score
Thats pretty much what I was gathering from my research. We arent passing through. We are staying a few nights in NY and might be making a stop at Jay and Silent Bobs secret shack if I have my way in Jersey.

Looks like Im leaving it at home. Not a huge loss, but I would have liked the option of at least having it in my car at least. My plan was to just pull over and put it in the trunk at the PA boarder, but I dont want to get messed with at all.

Thanks for the input everyone.
I hear you. It sucks as there are only a few states where IL CCL is not allowed, which blows.

You can get Florida and one other state included on top of the standard states that already accept it, but, that is a different process, I think.

Bring some knives, keep your cool and have a good time. Don't stress about this stuff, even though it kind of sucks.

Take care over there man.

PANDA

Reaction score
If you are going to have it in states where CCW isn't permitted by IL permit I would have it stored, unloaded, and in a spot where you couldn't possibly reach it while driving.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
...or just do your research?

Fish

Donating Member
Reaction score
If you are going to have it in states where CCW isn't permitted by IL permit I would have it stored, unloaded, and in a spot where you couldn't possibly reach it while driving.
That was my plan my man. However, NY for sure doesnt even allow that. No handguns in the state without a permit, and I dont currently have any 10 round or less mags for either gun. Plus NYC has its rules on top of NY State. Kinda like what Chicago and IL was doing.

Looks like my BlackHawk CQD gets a sharpening here in a few weeks.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Just hide it well when in NYC and don't touch it or talk about it. I mean technically they can't search your trunk, or a bag in the trunk, let alone a safe inside a bag inside a trunk.

Nothing would hold up in Court if they even got that far in searching and found the gun and I highly doubt you have a warrant even allowing them to search to begin with.

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
Idk. After watching one too many moto madness/car crash/cop videos, NYC doesn't give a flying fuck who you are. NYPD does what NYPD wants to do.

Another reason I'll never step foot into that shit hole city.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
yeah im just not going to go there.

but some states you can legally have it in your vehicle within reach... so again. just do your research of where you are going.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom