• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Transmission / clutch problem? need help

Sep 17, 2005
Last night i ran my car at 41. I was pulling 1.8 60' times on almost all my runs and i could only get a 12.82 @ 113 mph in the 1/4 mile as my best time. Heres the problem: Whenever im shifting into 2nd or 3rd gear, shifting around 5500-6000 rpm, the gear will just not engage for it seems like a good 1/2 second. its like the synchros have to catch up before it will let the gear engage, and by the time it does im out of the sweet spot in the power band and lose time just waiting for it to go into gear. I tried to just bang it in 1 time and it grinded bad. I even let a friend drive it last night becuase he just thought i wasnt pressing hte clutch all the way down or i was just missing the gear, he had the same problem and ran a 13.9. the car drives fine under normal driving conditions, its only when im running it hard at the track. and this was only the 2nd time i've had it to the track and it only has about 15 passes on it total there. the car has 27k miles on it as well.
any advice would be great, im not sure if i need to get a rebuild or built transsmission or master cylinder or slave cylinder, but im really frustrated. I should be running 12.4's or 12.3's with the mods i have and with the 60' times. anyone else had a simliar issue?
current mods: 2.93 upper, 100mm idler, k&N cold air, borla cat-back, Diablo predator tune, LFP heat exchanger, and M.T. 315 Dr's on the back.

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
Take it out and drive it around 30 mph. Shift into 6th and hit the gas. If the RPM jumps up, the clutch is toast.

I replaced mine with 6,000 miles on it. Well, I bought it with 6,000 on it, took it on a road trip, and 1000 miles later, limped it home with a totally used up clutch. I went with a CF Dual Friction and the 26-spline upgrade.

Also at only 10,000 miles, the rear brake pads were done. The former owner was clearly beating the living shit out of it at the track.

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
In this weather you should be running mid to maybe high 11's to low 12's with your set up. I had similar issues last year at GLD for the Supra event and I was po'd. Stock clutch and exactly what you just described. Ordered my BF firewall adjuster and Steeda Quick Release quadrant, and all those problems went away, hello 11's. Oh and so did the clutch, but I'm back! ;)

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Definitely sounds clutch related. Sticky tires eat stock clutches although some have better luck than others.

Have you taken it out and lugged along at low rpm in say 4th or 5th and punched it. Like Kevin mentioned above, if it starts freewheeling you know it's shot. Hoever, it doesn't need to be totally gone before you start experiencing shifting problems at high rpms.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info