• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Trans help ! 4l60E

Stock LS

destitute hobo beggar
Mar 25, 2011
Rival City
Hey guys I got some trans questions I just noticed today maybe someone can help me out. I Don't know much about transmissions so I will try to explain this the best I can.

Okay Built a motor and trans over the winter everythings fresh trans has the break in miles on it that are on the motor has about 4,000 miles now on engine and trans. Today for the first time I decided to go WOT for the first time ever. :pedobear: I noticed in WOT and only WOT 2nd gear will not shift into 3rd it will just bounce off the REV limiter. It shifts great cruising and even half throttle all that good stuff goes in 3rd all the time. Only when I decide to do a 1st gear punch or 2nd gear just wont go into 3rd when the petal is to the metal. The trans is beefy it does NOT slip at all puts all power down shifts firm.

Now with that being said I have PCM for less tune my pcm ( ya i know sucks mail in order yada yada ) But I needed help getting it running and drive-able.

I picked up HP tuners and loaded my file tune and took a look. I noticed a few things that i'm not sure that maybe could be the cause.

1.Abuse management is Enabled ( the settings under the enabled tab were like 5% throttle, 255mph and 1200 rpm
2.Pressures seem to be up there
3.Came across something that said it needed to see 76MPH to shift into 3rd I believe.
4. My 2nd to 3rd shift point is set to 6450 and all my others are set to 6500

*Now I downloaded some other peoples tunes from HP and took a look at their trans settings for beefy 4l60s, and some have the abuse enabled just like mine same settings and some dont? and everyone's shift points were basically different.

I took a scan while going wot and 2nd gear hits the rev limiter I just don't understand is this internal issue with trans or can this be fixed via tune? and if it's internal issue with trans what am I looking at.

( If anyone knows a serious amount of info about this I can send the tune and the scan if you would like to take a look anything can help me at this point thanks :tear: )

Edit: trans fluid is good and does not smell at all is this possible bad shift noid 2nd to 3rd in wot?
Edit #2: After doing some google research I found someone say "Won't make 2-3 shift at WOT": 3/4 clutch pack is slipping - OR you have low line pressure rise, drive easily until you have it repaired <-- im gonna go with 1 of those or a shift noid

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
It may not be the trans tables that are the problem. Check that the Cutoff vs RPM Normal table (under "engine" then "fuel Cutoff"). The cutoff should be at least 200-300 rpm higher than the full throttle shift RPM table in the trans section. you may have to play with the cutoff rpm and raise it more than 300rpm. depends on the car.

I have a 4000 stall FLT trans Stock cam 3.73 gear. My Cutoff vs RPM is set to 6300 cutoff, 6299 resume while my full throttle shift RPM in the trans section is set to 6000 rpm across the board. WOT shift speed table has 34/67/119. I routinely see shifts at 6100-6200 rpm even though its commanded to shift at 6000.

Also everyone's tunes on the trans tables are different because HPT scales the trans shift tables automatically when you recalibrate the spedo for tire size and rearend changes so one guy may have recalibrated the spedo for 3.23 gear and a 26" tire.. next tune may have a 3.90 and a 28" tire. makes everyone's tunes a little different.

Also the Full Throttle Shift Speed And the Full throttle Shift RPM have to both be met for the WOT shift to happen. Possibly one of the values is off. really it could be a lot of things.

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
For trans tuning skim through this. I found this useful :D
How To: 4L60/65E trans tuning. Shifting/TCC/TM (w/ Pics) - LS1TECH

Did you run and see if you have any dtc thrown? I had something very similar where the trans shifted into 2nd and 3rd fine but wouldn't go in to 4th. See if a P0751/57 code. Sometimes when running a high stall this code(s) trip and put the trans in to a "safe" mode. Thinking a solenoid failed. Here is some info on it. You can search more on ls1tech for similar instances like this.

Trouble code P0757 4l60e - LS1TECH

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
yes there is.

you should be able to select "current gear" and it'll tell you

you should also be able to see 1-2 upshift, 2-3 upshift 3-4 upshift and the downshifts related to those gears
you should also be able to log all the states of the transmission...cold mode hot mode.
should also be able to see when an upshift/downshift is in progress
as well as the time it is commanding to shift
and the actual time.

Stock LS

destitute hobo beggar
Mar 25, 2011
Rival City
yo crunk im kinda a HP noob can i send you my whole tune and the scan ( you gotta have HP tho to open it) and you can look because Im not sure where to find these tables your asking me to copy and past

also i noticed my throttle body cable a little bit lose and in the WOT scan i did it says i hit like 83% which i dont believe letting off the gas untill it was bouncing of the rev limiter so maybe it wont shift because its not seeing 100% throttle?! unless it is and im dumb lol

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
arghhhhh

yeah you can send me the file

i don't use HPT but i still have the software i think should be able to get it goin.

those tables should be in your transmission section? unless HPT doesn't have those parameters...

if your tps is only seeing 83% then yeah, you might run into fucked up shifts...

it could be some other problem, but usually the first place to check are these tables to ensure that there are no overlaps between TCC apply/release upshift/downshift speeds etc.

samplea4.jpg

that is just a sample tune from some random car...idk what specs are on it but it is a 4l60e out of an fbody.

check out the upshift table...
in order for the 2-3 upshift, there needs to be a certain TPS and a certain speed, if you aren't hitting both it won't upshift

lets say the speed is set at 75 or something but you hit 65 and start hitting the rev limiter...no shift.

can you find ANY table that would have that kind of info? TPS vs shift? shouldbe around the same area your shift points are...

unless HPT doesn't have those parameters

Stock LS

destitute hobo beggar
Mar 25, 2011
Rival City
whats your email i will send you my tune if you find a problem on why its prob not shifting i will throw you a couple bucks. mean while im gonna look into my throttle cable see if i can get it tighter

edit: alright i fixed the throttle cable, blade is now open 100% at wot now, before the blade was prob at 85% estimated hopefully that was the issue, it still might be in the tune though idk what pcm for less did with the trans tps/torq conv settings. like i said if you can take a look at noticed things that need changing i'l toss you some cash thanks\

also what do you think about the abuse mode being enabled?

Stock LS

destitute hobo beggar
Mar 25, 2011
Rival City
ya its a grudge car ;)

it needs a tune so bad idk if it needs a fuel tune more or a tranny tune lol. But i pmd you back with that question how does it look to you pretty off wack right? I noticed like my half throttle table looked like it was my wot table and my wot table looked like it should of been my half throttle. im never using pcm for less again

other then the shift points its just dead rich and doesn't like to idle when you rev it

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Uggh.. if the tune is that out of whack I think you should take it to a tuner and tell him to start form the stock tune instead of trying to screw with the mail order tune.

Also Crunk.. PCM for less uses HPT which also has an "enhanced OS" option for real time tuning and SD applications using 1-3bar SD tuning. If PCM for less uses the enhanced version it might read all funky on other software systems.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
Uggh.. if the tune is that out of whack I think you should take it to a tuner and tell him to start form the stock tune instead of trying to screw with the mail order tune.

Also Crunk.. PCM for less uses HPT which also has an "enhanced OS" option for real time tuning and SD applications using 1-3bar SD tuning. If PCM for less uses the enhanced version it might read all funky on other software systems.

yeahhh i figured as much. thanks for the headsup. i really only needed to look at the basics. i had a hunch what was going on and hopefully i'm right.

another PM sent!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info