Trans fluid in oil to clean engine

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
a vendor was saying how every few oil changes he will use 4qts ATF and 1 qt oil and a cheap filter, drive around for a little bit, then drain and fill as normal with all oil and a good filter.

says it cleans the enging relly good. :rollpicard:

anyone else hear of people doing this?

OP
boostedguy05

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
"I run trans fluid through the motor, I've used kerosene in the pass but I'm afraid that it thins the oil out to much. Normally I run 4 quarts trans to 1 quart oil and a cheep oil filter,I'll drive it around, check it then drain it and put all new in.
I did that to my sister old Saturn years ago and forgot about it, went to check oil in it a week later and it was as black as black could get, car ran great after that. "

greasy

LTTR BOX
Donating Member
Reaction score
I have heard of this before, but never knew the validity of this phenomenon.

Frostopsy

Reaction score
I wouldn’t do that. If anything, it would gum up the engine as the Trans fluid has a lower boiling point than engine oil. I’m also a believer that as tolerances get looser in an older engine, the soot and varnish keep things a little tighter.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Transmission fluid generally has LESS detergents than oil... How would this be effective... I've heard the OTHER way around, people putting a small amount of engine oil in the transmission for it's detergents, but we're talking a fairly small amount in relation to the total capacity of the transmissions' fluid.

Secondly, it isn't designed to handle the combustion by-products like regular engine oil.

Third, it could also degrade your engine oil both in viscosity and and overall oil life, making it less effective, especially used in the amounts listed.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
What's sad is someone one day is going to be the end user if this vehicle and their going to get fucked...

Keep oil with oil and trans fluid with trans fluid.

Fucking idiots.

Who the fuck needs a clean engine anyway? Are you eating with the Pistons and rods?

Pewter-Camaro

Reaction score
I’ve heard it was used back in the 60’s and 70’s. Oil back then was a lot different than now. These days there is no reason to do it at all!

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
Old school trick for getting the sludge out.

But most oils today are god knows how much better and sludge won't develop as long as oil is changed regularly.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
These ideas usually go are 30+yrs old and aren't needed in anything even close to modern. Same with warming up the car or blowing out the cobs. Technically if the car isn't burning oil or leaking oil you could run conventional oil 10k miles all day, every day. The only reason it doesn't work is people don't check their oil levels and eventually the oil gets too low and you know what happens next. Every 3k miles for an oil change is just wasting money.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I like to blow out the cobs every time I drive my cars, my wife complains about me shifting her car at redline because she herd it’s hard on the car to rev out, I just tell her there is a rev limiter for a reason, and that reason is so I can bang it on every shift lol

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
I like to blow out the cobs every time I drive my cars, my wife complains about me shifting her car at redline because she herd it’s hard on the car to rev out, I just tell her there is a rev limiter for a reason, and that reason is so I can bang it on every shift lol
Yup. Shit definitely needs to be blown out, especially valve trains...

Ever follow an older Cadillac or Lincoln with Granny driving? That blue smoke is cause her valve seals are dried out from 1300 max rpm for years....

I redline GFs new highlander anytime im in int and today's diesels sure as fuck need a good cleaning

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
The seals are dried out because of lack of use, not because she was driving at 1300rpm. C'mon man, you're not an idiot, you know better.

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
Also, even with MASSIVE amounts of use, those cars are prone to have valve seal failure and smoke. They all do it, usually after 300k miles, because they are monsters, but you keep oil in them and they'll go 500k miles all day, despite the bit of smoke they puff from a stoplight.

N20GT

Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
Reaction score
I love when morons (frequently hillbillies) think they’re smarter than automotive engineers

Trans fluid as oil. What the fuck

Marko

Reaction score
Id. love to hear the engine running on trans fluid. :rofl: All the knocking.

and It would smoke like a chimney too.

SaturdaysGS

Reaction score
Project Farm on YouTube recently did a experiment on something similar to this. Interesting ~10 minute video to watch. More so only using a small amount of trans fluid to help loosen up sludge or build up.

Last edited:

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
I love when morons (frequently hillbillies) think they’re smarter than automotive engineers

Trans fluid as oil. What the fuck
i mean, not in this example, but there are PLENTY of examples where automotive engineers weren't the brightest bulb in the box :rofl:

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
Donating Member
Reaction score
Just use seafoam in oil instead, then change it. And don't buy it from parts store, go to Walmart. Legit half price.

Heard the trans fluid thing for potentially freeing up a sticking hydraulic lifter. I guess I could see it working given trans fluid is intentionally designed to keep the valve body/solenoids/valves working smoothly in the transmission hydraulic system.

I'd still recommend just taking it all apart and doing it right... but nobody got time fo dat.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
The seals are dried out because of lack of use, not because she was driving at 1300rpm. C'mon man, you're not an idiot, you know better.
Nooooot really buying the never used theory. 2 closest examples to me we're my grandma's 96 Lincoln, it smoked blue at all times and had very good miles on it, but it never ever saw any high rpms.

My IROC the same, I bought it from the original owners who put 100k on it since 87, drove it every summer across a few states....

Everyone jokes in SBC all needing valve seals, and yea it's a weak point, but fuck do I see alot of work trucks and vans and they ain't smoking, their put to work.

I will always buy something that's been put to work

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
It still makes no sense as most trans fluids have LESS detergent(s) than the engine oil itself.

98GrandPrixIraqVet

Reaction score
We put 1 qt trans fluid in the HMMWVs when in Iraq but that was mixed with the JP4 because the heat and JP4 was burning up injection pumps.

As for trans fluid in oil NOPE never.

Seafoam it and call it a day if youre really that concerned.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
It makes perfect sense to those that are trendy, and love shock jock news and that also don't know a fucking thing

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom