🔞 SNWS Train hits Plane

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare

I like trains and know some train knowledge, buuuut could that one have stopped before hitting the plane? I do know though theyre told to hit the brakes after contact, but come on here.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Just due to timing of the incident, there wouldn't have been time to relay it to whoever runs the signals for that line as it sounds like it happened in mere minutes. It was a Metrolink commuter line, which is most likely running on another systems lines (like UP, WP, BNSF, etc).

If something like that were to happen here, say on a Metra line, Metra doesn't handle the actual signaling. The line it runs on, does... For example, Metra running on the UP West, is run by Union Pacific. A Metra train running on the BNSF line out to Aurora is run by BNSF. So if a plane were to do this, first responders would have to get there, figure out what system they're on (if they don't know), then someway, through the emergency dispatchers, get ahold of Omaha, Nebraska (where UP's operations are) or Fort Worth, Texas (Where BNSF's operations are), to get the signals red and shut the line down.

Reactions: DanJ

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Just due to timing of the incident, there wouldn't have been time to relay it to whoever runs the signals for that line as it sounds like it happened in mere minutes. It was a Metrolink commuter line, which is most likely running on another systems lines (like UP, WP, BNSF, etc).

If something like that were to happen here, say on a Metra line, Metra doesn't handle the actual signaling. The line it runs on, does... For example, Metra running on the UP West, is run by Union Pacific. A Metra train running on the BNSF line out to Aurora is run by BNSF. So if a plane were to do this, first responders would have to get there, figure out what system they're on (if they don't know), then someway, through the emergency dispatchers, get ahold of Omaha, Nebraska (where UP's operations are) or Fort Worth, Texas (Where BNSF's operations are), to get the signals red and shut the line down.
Seems crazy that nobody could just directly contact the engineer. But I know nothing about trains so what do I know

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Once the operator is known, contacted, signals and PTC (Positive Train Control... If equipped), is activated the engineer would be and the train would be stopped. For PTC, many commuter rail systems are slow to implement it because of costs. Not sure if Metrolink has it.

I believe the issue here is that it was just timing in that the plane landed, emergency responded and whammo, the train was there.

I remember a commuter train in NYC a few years back, the engineer fell asleep (IIRC), the train was speeding in to a curve and the train derailed. Had it had PTC, it's speed limits could've been monitored as it passed certain checkpoints and then the operator could've taken over. Anyway, I believe PTC was implemented after that.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I'd rather spend time understanding why the plane crashed then and there, not why the the heavy ass train doing 60mph couldn't stop in time to avoid hitting it. What are the chances of a plane crash landing and coming to a rest on top of railroad tracks, crazy to think about.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
You'll also note that the fire station is right there too. Which I'm surmising, that this whole scenario happened pretty damn quick. Plane came short of the runway, lands on tracks, fire department sees it (not even waiting for the 911 calls to come in), gets there just in time to get the guy out and wham... They would've been on the train brakes and the locomotive's dynamic brakes as soon as the engineer saw the obstacle I would think.

I remember one morning commute, hitting someone in Lombard (I believe they were crossing with the gates down at Elizabeth St) at around 50. It took the train a 3/4 of a mile'ish to stop. I think the train finally came to a stop around Grace street.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Seems crazy that nobody could just directly contact the engineer. But I know nothing about trains so what do I know

If they knew the radio frequency to transmit on they could call out an emergency call and hope they heard it in time, but I’ve never really heard of that happening. I’m sure the bloodied man in the plane was the first priority and a train was probably an afterthought even though they were on tracks.

Once the operator is known, contacted, signals and PTC (Positive Train Control... If equipped), is activated the engineer would be and the train would be stopped. For PTC, many commuter rail systems are slow to implement it because of costs. Not sure if Metrolink has it.

I believe the issue here is that it was just timing in that the plane landed, emergency responded and whammo, the train was there.

I remember a commuter train in NYC a few years back, the engineer fell asleep (IIRC), the train was speeding in to a curve and the train derailed. Had it had PTC, it's speed limits could've been monitored as it passed certain checkpoints and then the operator could've taken over. Anyway, I believe PTC was implemented after that.
Most crossings have the emergency number posted somewhere on a sign nearby. By the time they got ahold of a dispatcher and had some new restriction entered into PTC it would still be faster to just have the dispatcher call the train on the radio. You do here that sometimes when cars make a turn too fast and end up on the tracks. With enough warning they could have protected that by putting a red/stop light up at the nearest control point.

I’m a pretty firm believer that most of these incidents happen because no one with the railroad knows the obstruction is on the track, the engineer doesn’t expect there to be an airplane/car/washing machine on the track, and by the time they see it, it’s too late. Those passenger trains can’t stop on a dime, but they’re typically still going 40+ mph when the nose hits the platforms to stop, so they do stop pretty fast. That’s why it smells so bad when they stop at the platform.

This one of my bigger fears (not an airplane specifically). You’re going to win the game of smash up 99 times out of 100, but will the safety glazing on the windows hold up?

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I think you have to have a pretty high level of wealth to die in a helicopter or other small aircraft. Our buddies dad crash landed an experimental plane on the roof of a grocery store in Florida a number of years ago. It was pretty awful, he lived for months but eventually died of complications from the burns.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Why? You have a greater chance of death in your own vehicle.
Not true at all. Stolen from another site.

Let's review some general statistics during 2008. Note - these stats aren't specific to light or single engine aircraft:
  • NTSB reported there were 1.21 fatalities per 100,000 flight hours for private aircraft (Part 91 operators).
  • NHTSA reported there were 1.26 fatalities per 100 million miles travelled by automobile
We can equate that to about 2 million hours (estimating an average speed of 50mph). This gives us 0.063 fatalities per 100,000 driving hours.
Private aircraft have a fatality rate about 19 times greater than driving. It is also true that a majority of the accidents that occur are pilot error (71%) and could have been prevented.

Reactions: crooks and RedBeard

03GTGreen

Cobra Brigade Presidente
Aug 1, 2007
Looks like 79mph to me, and i wouldnt be attempting to stop, youd be surprised how many idiots run gates and stop on the crossing and then move at the last minute. Granted this was a plane, but id probably be more in shock that a plane was there then worried about stopping

Reactions: DanJ
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info