Trailer registration from out of state

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
So my Grandfather in law is downsizing and we are getting a 4x8 utility trailer to haul home our new to us John Deere 545 and 60 inch deck.

He sent me the Connecticut registration where it was registered as a homemade camp trailer along with a Bill of Sale. I am curious if these documents are of any use for getting the trailer registered ahead of picking it up in Connecticut so I have a plate for it? Or since it doesn't have a title I have to go through the whole homemade trailer inspection process for the Illinois DMV?

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
I would agree with most in this thread. Fuck the state and don’t bother with it. If it’s occasional leave it be.

Anytime you get a chance to fuck the state of Illinois always do it.
IL will certainly fuck you at every chance, so may as well get them back if/when you can. I got a small trailer, thought I was applying for a lost or missing title, plus plates, tax, etc. I bought it from a friend who had bought it new, and I had to fill in a lot of information about him so it seemed like I was doing it correct for a replacement title. It was a total of $333 bucks for all of that, and keep in mind that is what it would be for ANY trailer under 3,000 lbs. Time goes by, they cashed the check for the taxes. Few days later I get everything back for the title and plates saying I need to produce a title. So yes, they charged me the taxes on something I don't even own according to them. No title transfer, no plates issued, but I paid the taxes at least.

I have been driving it around using it with no plates in the meantime. If I knew it was going to be so much money I probably would have found a work around or just not bothered.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info