• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Traditional Hose Clamps vs T-Bolts

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Thx5ThA.jpg

I barely want a worm type holding my coolant hoses let alone 35+ psi

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
One of the most expensive builders when it comes to GT-R is pushing cheaper worm clamps?

Makes zero sense.

They do a lot more builds than expensive GT-R builds, broseph! :D

Either way, if you have quality pipe with a bead, SURE a less expensive worm gear will work. Blowing charge pipes off sort of sucks though, so having done exactly that myself - even off my turbo's cold side output (which is cast aluminum with a lip) - I was more than happy to switch over to t-bolts and never blow another coupler.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
They do a lot more builds than expensive GT-R builds, broseph! :D

Either way, if you have quality pipe with a bead, SURE a less expensive worm gear will work. Blowing charge pipes off sort of sucks though, so having done exactly that myself - even off my turbo's cold side output (which is cast aluminum with a lip) - I was more than happy to switch over to t-bolts and never blow another coupler.

Sure they do other stuff outside of GT-R's, but their market/demographic is not budget anything.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
It's an AMS car... so I don't know what material they use for their piping. The point is, even *proper* aluminum piping which is thick enough to not distort under a t-bolt clamp will benefit from the additional clamping force.

Also, what about how worm gears chew up couplers since they have the slots cut into them for the screw to turn? T-bolts have no slots cut, rather just have a solid band which do not cut into the coupler. :dunno:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I'm simply stating that t-bolts worked flawlessly for me in my application which was 20psi+ after I had numerous failures from worm gear clamps.

If you're buying lined worm gear clamps that cost more anyway, why not buy proper tbolt clamps that DO provide uniform clamping characteristics AND more clamping force?

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
It's an AMS car... so I don't know what they use. The point is, even *proper* aluminum piping which is thick enough to not distort under a t-bolt clamp will benefit from the additional clamping force.

Also, what about how worm gears chew up couplers since they have the slots cut into them for the screw to turn? T-bolts have no slots cut, rather just have a solid band which do not cut into the coupler. :dunno:

Exactly! You don't know what that car is running for pipe, but yet you use it as an example of them running T-Bolts! Nobody is forcing you to run worm drive clamps on your car if you don't want to. :rofl:

If AMS says that running quality stainless worm drives with good 4 ply couplers will minimize boost leaks, save you from wasting money on T-Bolts when it is not necessary, provide more evenly distributed clamping force when using aluminum piping then I am going to believe them because they do it EVERYDAY! :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info