Trade in tax credit being hit by the Pricster?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Well, this ought to incentivize people to sell privately if they can.

Usually you can get more on decent cars with a private sale, its just not always worth the hassle. But if trading the car in is going to cost you X amount more in taxes, might be worth selling privately and then walking in with cash.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
WTF!!! So they plan to tax you when you buy a car, and when you trade it in. How is this even legal???

This is actually a Tax "Credit" that they are limiting/taking away some off.

Ex: If I buy a iPhone, and trade it in for a new one, I still have to pay the full tax for the new phone. This is viewed as perfectly normal.

A bunch of states don't offer it at all to my understanding, it's really an Incentive to Trade-In cars. Sure I can get $1000 more for a car if I sell it privately (and then pay nearly no sales tax if I buy private), but if I pay $1000 less in tax and am getting a new car anyways it could be fiscally more intelligent to just trade it in at a dealer. (This is a Big generalization, but just using it as an example).

But in a time of Weaning auto sales and a state loosing population this is a moronic move among several others.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004

Ex: If I buy a iPhone, and trade it in for a new one, I still have to pay the full tax for the new phone. This is viewed as perfectly normal.

A bunch of states don't offer it at all to my understanding, it's really an Incentive to Trade-In cars. Sure I can get $1000 more for a car if I sell it privately (and then pay nearly no sales tax if I buy private), but if I pay $1000 less in tax and am getting a new car anyways it could be fiscally more intelligent to just trade it in at a dealer. (This is a Big generalization, but just using it as an example).

But in a time of Weaning auto sales and a state loosing population this is a moronic move among several others.

Ahhhh...... I got it. It affects the savings on sales tax when you trade a vehicle in.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
But in a way you are paying more tax. The purchase price of the car shouldn't include the value of that vehicle you are trading.

From how I am reading it, you are still saving money.

If I am wrong, someone correct me.

This is how the system works now. Your new car cost $20K. Your trade in is worth $15K. You owe tax on $5K of the new car.

The new system will instead bring the taxes owed to $10K instead of $5K due to the $10K limit.

In reality, you arent being double taxed. You are just getting less of a tax credit. You could still trade a car in that is worth less than $10K and nothing would change for you.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

Exactly!! AFAIK you dont get this credit for any other purchase that you can use a trade in with.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Exactly!! AFAIK you dont get this credit for any other purchase that you can use a trade in with.

I started the thread just to confirm it’s not till next year XD, I didn’t realize there was so much confusion on this topic on a car forum :p.

My Mustang is worth well over 10 and I have positive equity in it, but I’ll basically loose another $1,000 if I trade it in next year on top of payments over winter.

I’m days/weeks away from trading it in on something more useful, but didn’t want to rush if I didn’t need to, and the article someone shared confirmed it’s still targeted for 2020.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
i wont laugh then. ill be upset.

How does IL handle registration/taxes for private party sales at the DMV? Do they have a table so that they'll know if you say you bought a $30k BMW for $10k, you're probably lying?

I've only ever bought cheap vehicles private party, and it's been a while, but from what I've heard Indiana does have some reasonableness checks in there to make sure they get their money on the more expensive transactions. Not sure what they are though

How does IL handle registration/taxes for private party sales at the DMV? Do they have a table so that they'll know if you say you bought a $30k BMW for $10k, you're probably lying?

I've only ever bought cheap vehicles private party, and it's been a while, but from what I've heard Indiana does have some reasonableness checks in there to make sure they get their money on the more expensive transactions. Not sure what they are though

Under 15k purchase price and the tax table defaults to vehicle age. Huge incentive to buy private party on expensive newer cars, the most you have to pay is 1500 instead of 6 or 7k.

Attachments

• C6F0ACC4-2150-4462-824B-63250C240FFD.jpeg
    C6F0ACC4-2150-4462-824B-63250C240FFD.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 76
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info