3800 Track Newbie

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I would say a ratchet and a 10MM socket, but since you have an 04, the headlights are easy to take out. (to let more and cooler air into the airbox.)

Tire pressure gauge if you change the pressure in the front tires.

Yourself ;)

Your car ;)

That should be it.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
If you plan on modding, its good to get base numbers. Every car is different.

Plus its good to try and win some prizes. :D Being a stock GT is good for brackets as long as your consistant and good with reaction times.

Since you have never drag raced before at a track, definatly practice on R/Ts while its test and tune.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Originally posted by chipmonk212121@Sep 23 2005, 11:03 AM
ok cool thanks anyway..... ok if anyone sees a 2004 GT with the owner walking around aimlessly thats would be me, ok i wont be that aimless.... but if anyone could help me out i would greatly appreciate it.
[snapback]98667[/snapback]​

I have a BIG FAT k&n filter you can use race day. Slap it right off the end of your maf sensor. Its my winter filter but currently Im using my FWI setup for the hot weather. I was going to bring it anyway and compare it to the FWI setup. Just bring some simple tools to take your stock airbox out.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Regarding what to do at the track... few things to remember:

1. Drive AROUND the water box... don't drive through it on street tires (it drags water up and hurts traction for other cars)
2. No need to do a smokey burnout on street tires... spin them to clean them off... that's it
3. Line your car up in the "groove" .. you'll see 2 lines where other cars have layed down rubber... line up in that groove
4. Courtesy Stage... Drive up just enough to trip the FIRST set of yellow lights... then trip the second set when the person in the other lane trips the lights
5. at US41 the exits are on the left, there are 2 I believe (maybe 3?) ... if you're in the right lane, do not exit until the car in the right lane has exited (even if it's a 30 second minivan, worst case wait till you get to the end by which point your opponent should have exited.
6. watch your speed when exiting... the speed limit is 5mph which is ridiculous... but don't go driving through at 45 , it's dangerous
7. Leave when the 2nd set of amber lights flashes... by the time you react the green will be on.

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by horist@Sep 23 2005, 11:50 AM

1.  Drive AROUND the water box... don't drive through it on street tires (it drags water up and hurts traction for other cars)
2.  No need to do a smokey burnout on street tires... spin them to clean them off... that's it
3.  Line your car up in the "groove" .. you'll see 2 lines where other cars have layed down rubber... line up in that groove
4.  Courtesy Stage... Drive up just enough to trip the FIRST set of yellow lights... then trip the second set when the person in the other lane trips the lights
5.  at US41 the exits are on the left, there are 2 I believe (maybe 3?) ... if you're in the right lane, do not exit until the car in the right lane has exited (even if it's a 30 second minivan, worst case wait till you get to the end by which point your opponent should have exited.
6.  watch your speed when exiting... the speed limit is 5mph which is ridiculous... but don't go driving through at 45 , it's dangerous
7.  Leave when the 2nd set of amber lights flashes... by the time you react the green will be on.
[snapback]98684[/snapback]​

May be a dumb question, but whats the water box?

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer+Sep 23 2005, 12:54 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-horist
@Sep 23 2005, 11:50 AM

1.  Drive AROUND the water box... don't drive through it on street tires (it drags water up and hurts traction for other cars)
2.  No need to do a smokey burnout on street tires... spin them to clean them off... that's it
3.  Line your car up in the "groove" .. you'll see 2 lines where other cars have layed down rubber... line up in that groove
4.  Courtesy Stage... Drive up just enough to trip the FIRST set of yellow lights... then trip the second set when the person in the other lane trips the lights
5.  at US41 the exits are on the left, there are 2 I believe (maybe 3?) ... if you're in the right lane, do not exit until the car in the right lane has exited (even if it's a 30 second minivan, worst case wait till you get to the end by which point your opponent should have exited.
6.  watch your speed when exiting... the speed limit is 5mph which is ridiculous... but don't go driving through at 45 , it's dangerous
7.  Leave when the 2nd set of amber lights flashes... by the time you react the green will be on.

[snapback]98686[/snapback]​
[/b]

when you're pulling up to the the line, before it is an area with water... this water is used for cars running slicks or drag radials... tires that need to be hot to be sticky... the water makes it easier to break the tires loose so you can heat them up.

There's enough room on the side of the water box (left side for left lane, right side for right lane) so that street tire cars can drive around.

For RWD applications, if you're running a slick/drag radial in back but stock tires up front, you drive around and then back into the water box... then drive forward and light them up... RWD w/skinnies up front (real skinnies not radial skinnies) cand rive right through the box.

Technically FWD cars should have skinnies in back in order to warm the front tires up, but this isn't very practical so unless it's a large racing series you generally can drive through the water box to heat the front tires up (if there's anything large going on like a summit points series driving through the water box w/out skinnies will not make you any friends)

since you're on a street tire, just drive around the water box, hammer the gas to sping the tires thus cleaning any gravel and such on them, thenpull up to the line, courtesy stage and you're set.

Another thing you *may* see (it's not real common) is deep staging... you can roll forward so that only the 2nd set of yellow lights are set... this gives you a couple foot advantage, but is rarely done... not sure if it'd even be allowed in a points race.

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by horist+Sep 23 2005, 12:00 PM-->
Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer@Sep 23 2005, 12:54 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-horist
@Sep 23 2005, 11:50 AM

[snapback]98686[/snapback]​

when you're pulling up to the the line, before it is an area with water... this water is used for cars running slicks or drag radials... tires that need to be hot to be sticky... the water makes it easier to break the tires loose so you can heat them up.

There's enough room on the side of the water box (left side for left lane, right side for right lane) so that street tire cars can drive around.

For RWD applications, if you're running a slick/drag radial in back but stock tires up front, you drive around and then back into the water box... then drive forward and light them up... RWD w/skinnies up front (real skinnies not radial skinnies) cand rive right through the box.

Technically FWD cars should have skinnies in back in order to warm the front tires up, but this isn't very practical so unless it's a large racing series you generally can drive through the water box to heat the front tires up (if there's anything large going on like a summit points series driving through the water box w/out skinnies will not make you any friends)

since you're on a street tire, just drive around the water box, hammer the gas to sping the tires thus cleaning any gravel and such on them, thenpull up to the line, courtesy stage and you're set.

Another thing you *may* see (it's not real common) is deep staging... you can roll forward so that only the 2nd set of yellow lights are set... this gives you a couple foot advantage, but is rarely done... not sure if it'd even be allowed in a points race.
[snapback]98688[/snapback]​
[/b]
very informative, thanks

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Also, when you stage...just tickle the second staging light. The clock doesn't officially start until you leave the beam. The little time betwwen once you start moving and when the beam breaks gives a little bit of a start that helps MPH and ET's through the traps.

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Sep 23 2005, 12:26 PM
Also, when you stage...just tickle the second staging light. The clock doesn't officially start until you leave the beam. The little time betwwen once you start moving and when the beam breaks gives a little bit of a start that helps MPH and ET's through the traps.
[snapback]98696[/snapback]​

Coochie cooo, tickle, tickle.......so what your saying is when the tree giggles, punch it, haha, sorry the smartass in me made it impossible to leave that one alone.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info