track day car prep, need help

Shells_04

TCG Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Elgin, Il
I’m planning to attend a few road course track events next year- most likely gingerman and black hawk farms. I know absolutely nothing about track days or what prep needs to be done to my car ahead of time. That being said, I’ve got a stock 2014 mustang GT with Firestone firehawk Indy 500 tires. What should be changed or addressed to prepare for a track day? Also, from what I’ve read, a helmet and gloves are required. Any advice on who makes good safety equipment? I’d like to get my car ready over the winter. Thanks!

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Tires and brakes are pretty big things on road course stuff. Cooling system. Suspension.

One thing I know about that stuff is it's more of a game of making sure your cars in tip top condition to run for a while more than it is about making power or trying to be fast.

Shells_04

TCG Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Elgin, Il
How new are your brakes? If you go hard enough you might go through a set of new pads in a day. You might consider changing the fluid too if it's never been flushed.
The brake pads are the factory Brembo ones. Got about 21,000 miles on em. I believe the brake fluid is also the factory stuff. What would you recommend for new brake fluid? Would new stainless steel brake lines be a good upgrade too?

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
I'd change all fluids and make sure your tires and brakes are good. Track days are hard on the car, and being a heavier car your tires and brakes will wear fast.
Who's organizing the track days you're planning to go to? Some offer helmet rental. But yes gear is required along with pants and close toed shoes.

Reactions: sktchy

Shells_04

TCG Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Elgin, Il
I'd change all fluids and make sure your tires and brakes are good. Track days are hard on the car, and being a heavier car your tires and brakes will wear fast.
Who's organizing the track days you're planning to go to? Some offer helmet rental. But yes gear is required along with pants and close toed shoes.
Cool thanks! I was planning to join the SCCA and attend events they host. My tires have about 4,000 miles on them. Brakes are factory Brembo ones with about 21,000 miles on em.

Reactions: sktchy

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I had a guy on the dyno a while back that was into autocross pretty heavily. Said he burns through a set of nitto nt05s almost every time he goes out and that not to use drilled or slotted rotors because theyll crack and even break. We left that car really conservative but it was built like hell.

It's also gonna tear up your front bumper if your aggressive enough around the turns

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Cool thanks! I was planning to join the SCCA and attend events they host. My tires have about 4,000 miles on them. Brakes are factory Brembo ones with about 21,000 miles on em.

I would suggest signing up with LAPS inc and doing some track days with them. They have instructors that will ride with you, give you pointers and hopefully make you a better driver on track. If you're new to track days you're going to want someone there to guide you. With laps you'll be on track with other beginners, so no advanced drivers breathing down your neck the entire time you're on track. They usual host at Autobahn Joliet

Reactions: Pressure Ratio

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
If you are doing SCCA, its likely they should have several instructors on-hand, I would contact the organizers for the event you plan on attending and ask about getting one.

For car prep?

Completely flush your brake fluid with a high temp fluid. You will probably be with RBF600, RBF660, or ATE Type 200 (Formerly ATE Superblue, its just not blue).

Or, if you want the Absolute best fluid and don't mind spending the money Castrol SRF. Has the highest dry and wet boiling points. The wet boiling point is important, especially if this is your daily driver because brake fluid is Hydroscopic and absorbs water easily, and the higher performance the fluid, the more hydroscopic it is. If you put these fluids in your car, expect to flush your fluid at least once per year, and bleed before each track day.

Tire pressures are important, but it all varies for each car, and even further on preferences. But there should be knowlegible people at the track who have an idea of where to start.

Brake Pads are important too, but you don't need anything exotic. A decent semi-metallic will work for most people, until you really start working the brakes hard. I don't know if I'd trust an auto zoo ceramic pad to work at track temps. If you are out on track and notice the pedal travel getting longer and longer, start really paying attention. Don't wanna be that guy who's pedal goes to the floor and keeps pushing it.

If your car is an automatic, be warned, Track Days are EXTREMELY hard on automatic's. Trans fluid temps will get HOT. Manuals are usually easier since the fluid basically does nothing but lubricate and there is usually no active pump.

I would also do an oil change before the track, and double check all levels. If you are low on anything top it off.

If your car has any leaking fluids, that's a problem, leaking coolant/oil/etc on track will create slick spots on track.

Basically, in order to survive a track day your car MUST be well maintained. Anything less runs the risk of ruining not only your day, but possibly another persons day as well.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Change the oil, brake fluid and put higher temp brake pads on it and call it a day. You need an SA 2015 or SA2020 helmet. If you are just trying it out you can usually rent or borrow one. You dont need gloves.

There is no reason to get different tires as you will be learning. Check out track night in america for one day intros if you want to get your feet wet.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
That all seems a little overkill for a 2014 Mustang with factory Brembos going out on track for the first time in a beginner group with an instructor.
Factory 2014 fluid? Brembo's don't matter any more.

Yeah, my post was wordy, but it all boils down to put good brake fluid it, don't run shit el'cheapo pads, and make sure it ain't leaking.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
It’s all been said, but I would just say don’t over think it too much your first time out. It’s all about getting acclimated to the track, figuring out the lines and braking zones. You’ll pick up speed as you gain experience.
The only thing I would worry about changing your first time out is brake pads and brake fluid. If you have factory brembos you are probably good to go on pads, just make sure they have a decent amount of meat on them because pads wear quick on track. Probably good idea to change your diff fluid too if it hasn’t been done.
Most organizations simply require long sleeve pants, shirt, closed toe shoes, and a helmet sae 2015 or newer helmet. I’m still running a cheap conquer helmet that I’m happy with.
Bring a chair
Have fun, if it’s your first time out you’ll always get paired with an instructor for your first few sessions.
Bring a chair so you have a place to chill between sessions, grab some waters and stay hydrated.

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Jun 3, 2012
Desantis-Land
As already stated, l'll just reiterate: maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Then for sure brake fluid (I'm a huge fan of motul RBF600 or 660) and pads. Powerstop now makes a set of "Track Day" pads that actually work great at a beginner level, so you could do those with new rotors up front, make sure your rears have a lot of life left (or put track day pads out back as well if you are up for a bit of extra work for some extra insurance) and then get out there and send it. I did a ton of track on my pretty much stock 2013 Track Pack Mustang and it's always done great. Being more experienced, the main complaint I've had is that the brakes get hot quick on these cars even with the 4 piston Brembos. I plan on upgrading to s550 6-piston Brembos soon, personally, but again if you're just starting out, you likely won't have that problem until you really get comfortable with pushing it. Also, the factory stability control is very aggressive, so if you keep it on, you're pretty much guaranteed to warp your rear rotors unfortunately. Just something to think about.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Blackhawk Farms is tough on brakes. Good high temp fluid like Motul RBF600 is necessary. Some sort of track day brake pads are a good idea even for running in a beginner group. G-Loc XP12 front/XP10 rear is a common setup on stock S197 Brembo cars.

Brake cooling isn't a bad idea either. Vorshlag sells a nice brake duct kit or air deflectors that direct air to the back of the rotors. Either option is relatively cheap and easy to install.

I was at Autobahn country club a few years ago with a small group of Mustangs and one of the guys on stock Brembo pads had to go to the closest auto parts store to buy replacement pads so he could make the drive home.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Reactions: bikrboy128
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info