• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

TR 3550 swap into 5.0 mustang

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Dec 4, 2008
Guys,

I know for damn sure that this has been done a thousand times, but I am having a hard time finding the exact info to the question I have.

I am picking up a 3550 used that has been "upgraded" to a Lakewood steel SFI approved bell housing...

I have heard a lot though about issues with getting the bell to line up exactly and having vibration issues and what-not.... so I want to swap the 3550 in with an aluminum OEM style bell.

I called Tremec tech support and the guy gave me a part number of TCEP8639 and then asked "what trans is in there now?" so I told him is was a Borg Warner T5. he then told me "you don't need a bell, you can use the bell from the T5." I asked "are you sure?" and he said "eh.... pretty sure they have the same bolt pattern at the trans. "

so since he wasn't quite sure, I want to ask you guys, does the T5 bell housing fit a 3550?

also, I heard I need to elongate the bolt holes in the cross member and swap the yoke to one that fits the tail shaft.... I am also told that the Spec stage 2 clutch that is on my car now will work.... the trans that i am getting comes with a yoke and a shifter... what else am I going to need to make this fit??? drive shaft spacers or anything???

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Dec 4, 2008
if no-one has a "for sure" answer to the bell housing question, does someone have a T5 laying around not in a car that I can try to mount this SFI bell housing to for fitment verification.

if the 3550 bell housing bolts up to a T5 and a 3550, then it should have no problem going the other way.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Blower in a Box on here was running a 3550 in his '94 GT. He needed to run a new bellhousing to run the trans and ended up getting a Lakewood. He just picked up a T56 so I think he is looking to dump his setup. He is barely on so let me know if you want to get in touch with him, I get give you his email/cell.

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Dec 4, 2008
UPDATE***

so I found out that my 3550 is actually a 1st or 2nd gen TKO (good surprise)

this also means that I have the 26 spline input shaft instead of the 10 spline shaft (good)

which also means that I needed to buy a new clutch disk (bad, seeing that my old clutch has less than 3000 miles on it.)

I ended up buying an aluminum bell housing for mine (which means that my SFI approved bell is for sale)

I pulled my exhaust and driveshaft and swapped the front yoke.... I also bought the Steeda drive shaft spacer..... as soon as I get a free couple of hours I'll go back under and finish the job.

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Dec 4, 2008
I was hoping to find the answer here because I have just picked up a 95 GT with the T-5 and would like a beefier trans.

oh, and to answer your question....

no, the T5 bell does not fit the 3550, TKO or any TKO family...

Tremec makes a bell specific to the 3550/TKO family...

That being said, I am trying to sell by lakewood SFI bell if you want that!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• scca_stang
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list