TR 3550 swap into 5.0 mustang

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Reaction score
Guys,

I know for damn sure that this has been done a thousand times, but I am having a hard time finding the exact info to the question I have.

I am picking up a 3550 used that has been "upgraded" to a Lakewood steel SFI approved bell housing...

I have heard a lot though about issues with getting the bell to line up exactly and having vibration issues and what-not.... so I want to swap the 3550 in with an aluminum OEM style bell.

I called Tremec tech support and the guy gave me a part number of TCEP8639 and then asked "what trans is in there now?" so I told him is was a Borg Warner T5. he then told me "you don't need a bell, you can use the bell from the T5." I asked "are you sure?" and he said "eh.... pretty sure they have the same bolt pattern at the trans. "

so since he wasn't quite sure, I want to ask you guys, does the T5 bell housing fit a 3550?

also, I heard I need to elongate the bolt holes in the cross member and swap the yoke to one that fits the tail shaft.... I am also told that the Spec stage 2 clutch that is on my car now will work.... the trans that i am getting comes with a yoke and a shifter... what else am I going to need to make this fit??? drive shaft spacers or anything???

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Reaction score
if no-one has a "for sure" answer to the bell housing question, does someone have a T5 laying around not in a car that I can try to mount this SFI bell housing to for fitment verification.

if the 3550 bell housing bolts up to a T5 and a 3550, then it should have no problem going the other way.

rowekmr

TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
I was hoping to find the answer here because I have just picked up a 95 GT with the T-5 and would like a beefier trans.

greasy

LTTR BOX
Donating Member
Reaction score
Blower in a Box on here was running a 3550 in his '94 GT. He needed to run a new bellhousing to run the trans and ended up getting a Lakewood. He just picked up a T56 so I think he is looking to dump his setup. He is barely on so let me know if you want to get in touch with him, I get give you his email/cell.

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Reaction score
UPDATE***

so I found out that my 3550 is actually a 1st or 2nd gen TKO (good surprise)

this also means that I have the 26 spline input shaft instead of the 10 spline shaft (good)

which also means that I needed to buy a new clutch disk (bad, seeing that my old clutch has less than 3000 miles on it.)

I ended up buying an aluminum bell housing for mine (which means that my SFI approved bell is for sale)

I pulled my exhaust and driveshaft and swapped the front yoke.... I also bought the Steeda drive shaft spacer..... as soon as I get a free couple of hours I'll go back under and finish the job.

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Reaction score
Best news ever!!!!!!

I have a friend who is going to sell me his TKO 600 upgraded with liberty gears.... so now that's going in there instead of the gen 2 TKO.... and it's gonna be needed once I put that blower on the car.

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Reaction score
I was hoping to find the answer here because I have just picked up a 95 GT with the T-5 and would like a beefier trans.
oh, and to answer your question....

no, the T5 bell does not fit the 3550, TKO or any TKO family...

Tremec makes a bell specific to the 3550/TKO family...

That being said, I am trying to sell by lakewood SFI bell if you want that!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom