TPMS Questions

Primalzer

Reaction score
I can't seem to get much reliable information online, so I thought that I'd throw the question out there for the few guys that have worked in tire shops, and are familiar...

I have an '08 Crown Vic, brand new tires. They have the band type sensors, and my buddy who did the tires said the sensors were bad, and to replace them would've been $75/tire. Fuck that shit. Now is it possible to run the valvestem sensors, on previously band type cars? There are rumors that they run on a different frequency and will not work, while others say all you need is a reconfiguration scanner tool. I'd like this light off my dash more than anything, and if it comes to it, and it's too much of a hassle, I'm just going to pull the bulb, before spending the $300 on new sensors.

wombat

Donating Member
Reaction score
Can you find anyone with the tool to just turn the light off?

SaturdaysGS

Reaction score
I believe I tried this a year or 2 ago, and wasn't able to get the car (2008 mustang) to learn the sensor ID due to ford adding a digit (going from 7 digits to 8) in the sensor ID when they changed from bands to stem mounted. I'll see if I can verify this..

Primalzer

Reaction score
Apparently 2008 was an odd year for the CV too, some say that it was on the only year for the band type.

SaturdaysGS

Reaction score
Looks like Dorman makes a sensor that directly replaces the band style sensor with a stem style. It's Dorman #974026

Rock auto lists it for $43.00 a piece but I would cross match that with Amazon

Also they have a vdo redi sensor to replace the band sensor for $36.79. I'd go that route.

Primalzer

Reaction score
I would probably need a tire shop to replace them, no?

Primalzer

Reaction score
Also found some Motorcraft repacement sensors, for the bands, for $35/piece on Amazon. It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to a tire shop and figure out which are good, and which aren't and just replace them :fu:

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
with those $35 sensors, do they come with a band? the band on the OE sensor doesnt come off without cutting. so make sure it comes with a band

i've got the tpms tools for reprogramming/figuring out which one is bad. depending on where you're at i could help you out.
PM me if you're interested

SaturdaysGS

Reaction score
with those $35 sensors, do they come with a band? the band on the OE sensor doesnt come off without cutting. so make sure it comes with a band

i've got the tpms tools for reprogramming/figuring out which one is bad. depending on where you're at i could help you out.
PM me if you're interested

Good point, I forgot about the sensor being permanently attached to the band from the factory. Been a while since I dealt with those things.

I also have a tool in the south suburbs (Orland park) if need be.

Primalzer

Reaction score
Might take you up on that soon...buying one is much better than buying 4...and yes, those $35 Motorcraft sensors did not include the band...figured you could just reuse the band, but i stand corrected

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
i'll take a look in my toolbox tomorrow. i might have a sensor and aftermarket band off a 2010 grand marquis that should be still good. it's yours if you want it (and i still have it :rofl:)

the aftermarket bands look like giant hose clamps. why they didnt come like that from the factory is beyond me :ford:

SaturdaysGS

Reaction score
So I just looked at a 08 Lincoln with band sensors and now I do remember you can just change the sensor. However you cannot re use the band on a different wheel. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417634256.140956.jpg

Primalzer

Reaction score
OK cool, so theoretically, as long as my wheels still have the band, I should be able to just get and replace the sensor?

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
shit i forgot about the clip. its been awhile since i've dealt with ford tpms sensors
your band should be good, so yeah just a sensor should do the trick

i looked today and couldnt find my spare sensor, it probably made its way into the trash can.

Primalzer

Reaction score
I'll shoot you a PM the next time I'm going down to visit my friends in the DG/Naperville area

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom