🔧 BUILD toyota wagon 3800

General Information

imma hack this bitch together in one month, and it'll take down dd's TR, HK's TR, pandawgs and 10sec's stock junk

:jg:

This started as a joke....and it still is....laughable at least....

But here is an index of what is going on with the 3800 insanity

Removal of 5mge/4spd auto.

1688936986880.png

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I can't help the fact that Toyota didn't build this rear end with any sort of power in mind

I have a 9" here with 3.0 and 3.50 gears. you will probably need to narrow it as it is 65" wms to wms and 2.5" or so offset. comes with perches and 11*2 brake backing plates. Come get it and make it fit.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Well it done happened...

Fuck

It

Was

LOUD

Snapped quarter inch polycarbonate pulling into the Culver's tues.
Sounded like a f****** gun
Scared the s*** out of the couple of car guys that were there
20220804_054850.jpg

Also even though my fuel gauge does not work apparently the low fuel light is functional.

It was intermittently coming on and it was solid this entire morning till I started sucking air and losing higher RPM this morning.

What I thought was yet another f****** electrical headache is actually something helping me for once. I now don't have to guesstimate my miles and mileage with no functional odometer or level gauges.

Still haven't come across that first gen Supra.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Is it weird that I'm excited as f*** that my low fuel light came on? Fuel gauge still doesn't work though. Fml

Yay I have a working circuit!

I may have to see if the Cressida Corral is still in business in Wisconsin and see if maybe there's a fuel level sending unit that works up there.
The wagon is its own tank.

I still want to go to a Toyota dealership and f*** with the parts department to have them look up a bunch of obscure s*** for this thing. Like an automatic shoulder belt f****** limit switch.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I feel for ya on the gas tank/sender, I'm about in the same boat maybe slightly better. I need a tank andthey don't make them, so I'm going to have to figure something out like lining this one. If I go that far I will probably get it sumped if I can find someone.

Any chance you can adapt something? Ever take an ohm meter to the sender through the wiring to see if your gauge is messed up?

Reactions: sktchy

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Fuel gauge works again.

Not cuz I fixed it I kind of figured it was gummed up but I was f****** with how far I could Force the PCM to compensate for fueling changes.

I've tuned it with 3 tanks of half E85 and half 87...
I'm so far only run 2 full tanks of 87.... but the gauge has started to work and I can tell the fuel pump works harder to Prime the system in the morning from the sound as the fuel filter is getting plugged.

So far it has no problem going to -16 and it runs fine...
I was excited a few weeks ago when the low fuel light started to work suddenly...

Now the gauge is all nonchalantly working just f****** fine

Maybe it's time to run a full E85 tank

Oh and handsome Jesus got my new muffler and resonator in.....

I need to order Camaro air shocks next to give the car that proper face down ass up that's the way we like to f***!/ American Hot Rod look

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I tossed one of the two new Mufflers on and the tone change but the resonance is still there.

I have to do some reworking on the tip and for some reason my exhaust hanger and clamp won't compress the Dynomax stub... so I need to get another 3-in band

I kind of want to pull the muffler off and drive it with a straight pipe it sounds so f****** awesome.....and loud

20220914_155310.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Sounds way better.

Winding it out to keep up with traffic on the highway is a lot more gentle on the ears.

Coming out of decell fuel cut off gives a nice little heartening cackle pop... which I would hear on occasion with the Edelbrock but it was a lot quieter with its football shaped twin path design.

The resonance is still there at 2400 ish.

Just as it is with the muffler off.

I have not put the exhaust tip on yet as Dynomax oversized the swedging on the ends and it's pretty damn loose in there.

Definitely going to install the second tiny Muffler up front.

Then whenever this thing ends up with a decent 4L70E and an 8.8 out back I can toss the turbo on and hack off the rear muffler....

Morning startups are not much quieter but the tone is a lot lower which is weird being as the muffler is literally a straight through 3-in path but I'm thinking it might just be because the packing material is virginal and not full of carbon

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Oh and I kinda went nuts underneath a bridge and triggered a check engine light for the cam position sensor.

These things with the old aluminum encapsulated magnet on the cam gear had issues with the magnet losing strength over time....

Cleared it and hasent come back.
I'll just put it down to the redneck tune up

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I'm pretty happy with it I finally engineered a solution to my primary power issue on the Toyota side so I will be likely running everything off of a pair of 70 amp relays that turn power on to the rest of the vehicle when I turn the key on.

Unfortunately this means that if the automatic seat belts are deployed when I turn on the key that's when they will retract so I can get into the seat fortunately as long as I turn off the key with them in the retracted position....

.... I shouldn't have any death by strangulation via Toyota automatic shoulder belt incidents.

I was looking at driving the Cressida this winter but apparently no tire shops in the area stock 14-in tires anymore

Reactions: AnimalMother316

Thread Info