Toyota Techs Blowing up Subaru Engine Recalls

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Scion FR-S has a Scooby motor in it. Motor has complicated recall. Tech's at Toyota have high Kill Ratio.

The engine itself was designed and built by Subaru. At this point, we're not going to definitively say Toyota techs are screwing up this job left and right because of inexperience working on Boxer engines. But given the evidence, especially the fact that far more of the post-recall problems are popping up in Scions serviced at Toyota dealerships...it's a strong theory.

Whole story -
Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ Owners Claim a Recall Fix Is Destroying Their Engines - The Drive

So totally reminds me of a Yamaha Camshaft issue at Ford back in the '90's.

What do you mean they have no training and don't know WTF they are doing?

LMAO! ! !

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i think it's a 14 hour job? and people with toyos have had their car at dealerships for way longer than subaru.

i have a misfiring problem i can't track down and may be a chip on a valve or something at this point. i'm trying to have a buddy go confirm that before taking my car in for the recall and getting most of that effort done for free for me (the recall is to replace valve springs). my car only has 55k or so on it, although, i don't know how many track days. 60? she has done plenty of work.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
60 though? Nah.

last year was the most, since i signed up for some stuff previously (black friday laps deal) and generally do gridlifes, like autobahn, and we started up the midwest 86 cup...

i did 17 or 18? took 4th in street class (widest by far) for 86 cup and won iirc 3.8 tires. i'll probably try more for 10 this year but we'll see.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
The age group of people that own those cars is like 18-25. Any of you that were 18-25 back in the early 2000's had some ghey riced out shit, and if you didn't, you have a piece of shit IROC that you thought was the fastest thing in the world.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
The age group of people that own those cars is like 18-25. Any of you that were 18-25 back in the early 2000's had some ghey riced out shit, and if you didn't, you have a piece of shit IROC that you thought was the fastest thing in the world.
I had my Buick and it had the best one tire fire burnouts in the school lot. Also had a 64 Catalina that was low, slow and rusty.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI

giphy.gif

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Well it wasn't impossible, I had an iroc and an ls1 motor in the garage at that time. The iroc just had a l98 that I rebuilt, then also a 355 I also built up.

The l98 lasted one season cause I used a serp belt water pump on a v belt setup and never ran gauges so thing was probably over heating the entire summer :rofl:

https://youtu.be/YNEm0gDOUr8

I wish I did more with this build
https://youtu.be/mqXXI38Tkcg

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
The thing that cracks me up is there is one of these duo on every corner with an aftermarket exhaust, and the driver thinking he's speed racer.

So much truth. I see so many of these that are lowered with a widebody and spoiler. Most of the time their still NA too. In fact I think the reason they never came out with a turbo STI version is because Toyota knew they wouldn’t be reliable and didn’t wanna ruin their reputation. Looks like Toyota still screwed up with this haha. Let’s hope the Supra does better

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Well it wasn't impossible, I had an iroc and an ls1 motor in the garage at that time. The iroc just had a l98 that I rebuilt, then also a 355 I also built up.

The l98 lasted one season cause I used a serp belt water pump on a v belt setup and never ran gauges so thing was probably over heating the entire summer :rofl:

https://youtu.be/YNEm0gDOUr8

I wish I did more with this build
https://youtu.be/mqXXI38Tkcg

I'm surprised you were able to do that. One of the big points I use to ID a v-belt water pump is it has bosses for the alternator bracketry on it.

That said the engine you sold me has the goofy ass hybrid setup on it. I thought they stopped that in 86, I should really crack a valve cover and ensure I didn't get thrashed and got an early model year car with a non-roller 1pc rear main engine. :rofl:

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
So much truth. I see so many of these that are lowered with a widebody and spoiler. Most of the time their still NA too. In fact I think the reason they never came out with a turbo STI version is because Toyota knew they wouldn’t be reliable and didn’t wanna ruin their reputation. Looks like Toyota still screwed up with this haha. Let’s hope the Supra does better

would it matter if they weren't na

rice is rice

iirc there are zero widebody 86s around here that actually do anything with the car, besides post pics of it on instagram

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info