Toyota Tacoma Production Moving to Mexico

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

Toyota is realigning production based on common architectures.
Toyota is amid a massive investment in its U.S. operations – $13 billion over five years through 2021. It’s spent half already – $7.1 billion – retooling plants, adding jobs, and moving models to new factories. However, part of that realignment will see Toyota Tacoma production end in the U.S. in late-2021 at its San Antonio factory. That’ll put all Tacoma production in Mexico.

More in link above...

Cliffs: Toyota might finally be getting serious about Full Size Trucks and SUVs

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
giphy.gif

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin

Toyota is realigning production based on common architectures.
Toyota is amid a massive investment in its U.S. operations – $13 billion over five years through 2021. It’s spent half already – $7.1 billion – retooling plants, adding jobs, and moving models to new factories. However, part of that realignment will see Toyota Tacoma production end in the U.S. in late-2021 at its San Antonio factory. That’ll put all Tacoma production in Mexico.

More in link above...

Cliffs: Toyota might finally be getting serious about Full Size Trucks and SUVs

So they weren't they serious when they first came out with the Tundra and they were pushing it everywhere and every way they could. And here we are years later with a languisng product and really no dent was made in the domestic full-size market. Same for the SUV's.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
fuck #TCGDOESN'TREAD

The change comes as Toyota refocuses its Texas plant production on full-size body-on-frame trucks and SUVs. The factory will continue to build the Toyota Tundra, and the Toyota Sequoia will replace Tacoma production sometime in 2022. Last summer, Toyota announced another $391 million investment in the facility, which brings the company’s total investment in the property to $3 billion. Toyota currently builds the Sequoia at its Indiana plant, where the company will continue to assemble the Toyota Highlander, Highlander hybrid, and Toyota Sienna.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
So they weren't they serious when they first came out with the Tundra and they were pushing it everywhere and every way they could. And here we are years later with a languisng product and really no dent was made in the domestic full-size market. Same for the SUV's.

ROFL Lane...

Toyota has always prioritized Tacoma production above the Tundra. By going to a full size body on frame only factory they can produce more Tundras and Sequoias and not take away from their domination of the mid size truck market.

PS Thanks Yaj Yak Yaj Yak

Reactions: Yaj Yak

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I get that point as the Taco has been their bread and butter volume'wise. I guess my point was more that when they brought the Tundra out initially, they hit the market with a splash. So I thought they were serious then.

Were they production constrained on these? That's an honest question.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
In so many words during the past decade of the Tundra, yes. They never wanted to get past X volume as it would have limited the number of Tacomas they could build. Basically Tundras filled in the Tacoma production.

Now many years ago before the down turn (2008) Toyota had more plants and was building them at other locations and then had more capacity to build more is how I understand it. Is that the time period you are referring to? I often forget this forum lives in the 2000s

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info