• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Towing Thread

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'm super curious how much it'll sag with that trailer, the uhaul definitely puts most of the weight forward. Add stuff to the bed and I have a feeling it's going to sag a lot
after seeing the other canyon/coloardo with the enclosed behind it and it not sagging i bet it won't

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I just wonder if the little trailers, those are what 16 footers, get a little wiggly? What say you brother Yaj Yak Yaj Yak
i mean they're also heavy as fuck empty so i doubt it

1712774983844.png

them having a minimum weight kinda surprises me

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
*gulp*

Here goes nothing.

I'm new to this thread because I haven't towed a damn thing in my life. That's going to change very soon though. I'm considering just borrowing my buddy's trailer for a day and driving all over the place so that I can get the hang of it. I can probably haul that Diesel Olds off to scrap while I'm at it. :ROFLMAO: I really don't want my first time towing to be across state lines with my whole family inside my brand new truck and my pride on the trailer.

Any quick tips for a first time hauler? I'll be hauling the GN to the GS Nationals on a U-haul trailer (surge brakes) behind my '23 Colorado. My plans are to just stay in the slow lane, take the corners wide, keep a safe distance, and avoid tight gas stations. lol Everything else I'll just have to fumble through. As for loading, the U-haul trailers seem to take a lot of variables out of it.

where are you located?

i mean if you can rent a legit car trailer from a different spot and use an electric brake trailer etc, id feel way more comfortable.

Reactions: Shawn1112

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I've hauled grand prix's and my 442 with uhaul trailers a few times. Probably put on 1000 miles with them on my 04 f150. I really don't mind them. Tie-down is very easy and secure. I typically put more weight forward anyways because it will ride more smooth. The brakes are a bit jerky, but nothing you can't get used to. If you have any problems, I'm pretty sure they come and fix it for you.

They will ask you what you're pulling and what you're pulling with, so make sure they will approve them.

You don't have to turn that wide. A small car trailer like that follows pretty close in the tracks of the tow vehicle. You can watch in your Sideview mirrors around corners if you need to make wider turns.

Pay attention to what's ahead. It's a lot more difficult to change lanes when your have twice the length to fit.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Interesting. I was always under the impression that U-haul trailers were really light.

I talked my buddy into letting me borrow his tilting equipment trailer for a day. That thing unloaded weighs a ton.

I'm in south/central Indiana. Marketplace is not showing me much for rental possibilities. They're all over $100 a day or more which is far beyond what I'm willing to spend. I'll keep looking, but I have a feeling it'll be hard to beat U-haul in this regard.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Someone say something about towing with a Colorado?! This is a 24' enclosed (see earlier post for me doing that anotehr time as well), with a car, tool box, winch, spare inside up front. According to the Ford people from when it was hooked up to my F150, it was tongue heavy. Cant tell hooked to the canyon though LOL.

You will be fine, just leave distance for stopping and lane changing. Be concious about pulling out as well. The mirrors suck, but I was OK with my open for the most part.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I have pulled with both U-Haul and Penske trailers. I think the Penske ones are a little better and sturdier.

As mentioned, they are pretty heavy and sturdy overall.

I don't like how they hold the car in place. A web like strap that you wrap over the front tires and ratchet down. it works, but I'd prefer something a little more solid. But the few Penske's I have had, had plastic removeable wheel fenders which made things even easier. U-Haul's don't have this.

The surge breaking just takes some getting used to. Hearing the trailer making noise as the unit moves forward from the inertia movement does take getting used to. After that I have had a zero issues.

Thread Info