Towing question

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
You dont want to tow with a small wheelbase truck, you're just asking for problems (trailer sway for example). You can pickup older suburban ( <--- spelled correctly btw) for the range you're looking for, most likely with a tow package already installed.

However, you're probably looking @ $2k just in a decent trailer w/brakes...

Do your homework and be patient. Buying a cheap setup will only result in even more stress while towing too and from the track...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
You dont want to tow with a small wheelbase truck, you're just asking for problems (trailer sway for example). You can pickup older suburban ( <--- spelled correctly btw) for the range you're looking for, most likely with a tow package already installed.

However, you're probably looking @ $2k just in a decent trailer w/brakes...

Do your homework and be patient. Buying a cheap setup will only result in even more stress while towing too and from the track...

werd.

i posted a solid suburban... on craiggslist that i didnt try to find.

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
Best bang for the buck is going to be a regular cab v8 pickup. Get 4wd so you can get around in the winter.

MEH... I have a total blast drifting around corners with our RWD only 3500 duramax (haha) -- really, the thing is beyond easy to drift around turns with snow (especially with dryrotted rear tires on those 4 wheels.. ;) ) ..and the looks from the neighbors is just priceless!

PLUS 2wd means less maintenance headache and better MPG:bigthumb:

never once needed 4x4 in summer towing btw!!!!

If I were big into winter sports and driving around in the mountains a lot, I might rethink the 4x4 thing but here in the city.. NOT SO MUCH..

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
We have towed a lot a cars in the last couple years
jeeps and explorers will end up costing you more in repairs from the amount of stress those little trucks will go through.
a ford or GM pickup with a V-8 and tow package is what you want. Gas mileage will be shitty but I don't see a diesel being in your price range
We have seen S-10s blow rearends towing small cars(hondas) with a two wheel dolly.

x2 on the getting a 2wd. 4x4s with high mileage(especially small suvs and trucks) tend to be money pits and are not needed 90% of the time

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
We have towed a lot a cars in the last couple years
jeeps and explorers will end up costing you more in repairs from the amount of stress those little trucks will go through.
a ford or GM pickup with a V-8 and tow package is what you want. Gas mileage will be shitty but I don't see a diesel being in your price range
We have seen S-10s blow rearends towing small cars(hondas) with a two wheel dolly.

x2 on the getting a 2wd. 4x4s with high mileage(especially small suvs and trucks) tend to be money pits and are not needed 90% of the time

yeah, we started out with the GMC v8 w/tow package until it got hit by a short bus and we took the insurance money, added $4k and got a duramax instead...

People are still surprised when we tell them we get 20mpg without towing and about 16mpg towing with diesel power 2wd yet when we had the GMC v8 2wd, we were lucky to get 9mpg towing and got a whopping 14mpg not towing (overall average btw)

even last summer with diesel prices higher than regular 87, the math still showed us more efficient and cheaper with the diesel power vs. gas.. now so far this summer diesel is cheaper than regular 87 so WOOT!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
yeah, we started out with the GMC v8 w/tow package until it got hit by a short bus and we took the insurance money, added $4k and got a duramax instead...

People are still surprised when we tell them we get 20mpg without towing and about 16mpg towing with diesel power 2wd yet when we had the GMC v8 2wd, we were lucky to get 9mpg towing and got a whopping 14mpg not towing (overall average btw)

im not surprised diesels fucking rock for mileage and long term... but they also are more expensive to begin with, as well as more expensive to maintain and repair...

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
im not surprised diesels fucking rock for mileage and long term... but they also are more expensive to begin with, as well as more expensive to maintain and repair...

I'll give you the 'more expensive to buy' when it comes to truck diesels anyway... but used isn't as expensive as new (not as big a price difference any more with used and we bought used each time).

....more expensive to maintain I'm not sure I agree with you there... we had the same stuff to fix on the GMC2500 as we have on the GMC3500 so far (stuff like front brakes, frequent trans and oil changes).. the difference being we used synthetic in the v8 and rotella or delvac in the diesel for oil (price comes out the same in the end)

..meanwhile, my mom has a 2002 TDI jetta and bought it brand new.. and ironic is at the time (in 2002) she got it cheaper than a 1.8 jetta and more off the sticker price than a 1.8t jetta... they average 48mpg on the highway with it and there has NOT been any more expensive maintenance with it.. bonus is the jetta never goes in for emissions testing so that's one less headache of stuff to have to buy for the car!!!

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
our work tow rig is an 04 (i think) crew cab F250 with the V10 in it. it'll pull the 30 ft trailer fully loaded(over loaded:rofl:) at 90mph no problems at all.

the E250 van we have has the v8 in it and can pull the 16ft. enclosed trailer with little issue though its slow as balls when trying to accelerate at say 60mph. you floor it, it gets real loud and your barely doing 62mph. it gets a bit of sway over 70mph fully loaded. it doesnt have sway bars though like the 30 footer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info