Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Ethanol is octane-enhancing, right? Gas mileage may be worse with 93 octane and E10, and I think it could deteriorate more quickly. Maybe 93 with E10 that's been sitting could be worse than 91. But they have a minimum octane rating fuels need to meet.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
We had to run 91 essentially the entire tour so I was forced to read up and educate myself. My car somehow managed to not explode and it makes upwards of 540whp on 93 so Id say 91 did just fine for my car.

Your experience may vary I suppose.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Blending Race Fuel With Pump Gas
Adding a few gallons of race fuel to varying amounts of pump fuel is a popular octane-boosting method that enthusiasts use. We were curious what a race fuel expert would say about it, so we asked the Rockett Brand team. Here’s what they said:

“[Mixing race and pump fuels] is an okay thing to do, and much better than ‘octane boosters.’ It does not damage the engine, and improves the quality of the street gas. Octane numbers blend almost linearly, and we actually publish blending charts on our website for those who insist on doing this. For example, if you blend a 92-octane pump gas with a 100-octane race fuel in equal amounts, you will get a 96-octane fuel.

“But keep in mind, if you don’t want to spend money on straight race fuel, you are watering down the benefits that that straight race fuel has. You may get the octane you need, but you will not get the optimized vapor pressure and blending.

“Overall, I recommend that the user choose the octane that he or she needs, and not try to be a chemist and play with the fuel. Do you water down your drink before you consume it? Life is too short to drink cheap booze.” Well said.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
[MENTION=239]Turk[/MENTION] I know my truck isn't shit compared to most of these race cars. But I was forced to fun 91 as well, and the truck ran great. I was monitoring the fuel trims, and it never detonated once. It's around 11.2:1 compression ratio as well.

It did just fine keeping up with the race cars on that shit fuel ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info