Movie Top Gun: Maverick

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
cd1.jpg

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Fucking pumped. I remember being a kid sitting in the basement with dad watching the original on the big screen with the surround sound cranked.
Good times.

Nice F-14 Tomcat in the closing seconds of the trailer...

He's flying an F/A-18 Hornet in this, the Navy's successor to the Tomcat after retirement in 2006 (after 32 years of service, of which it was 12 in the original Top Gun), yet they show the F-14 at the end.

I saw that too. I wonder what the significance of it is?

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I’m already dying at the plot, but still can’t wait to see. There’s absolutely no scenario (unless it was the apocalypse and we ran out of pilots like Independence Day) that a Captain in the Navy would be flying combat sorties. I figured when they announced this he would be some type of Commander position or instructor or something. Nope, still flying somehow lol.

That aside, I have no doubt the movie is going to ridiculously fun to watch.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Apparently he can't be a captain per AF rules. 30 years and out I think I saw somewhere?..

A Captain in the Navy (O-6) and a Captain in the Air Force/Army/Marines (O-3) are different ranks. Navy has different name for ranks vs other branches for officers.

Navy Captain is equivalent to a Colonel = not in flying status or qualified for the airframes any longer normally.

You are right, you can’t do 30 years as a Captain in USAF, you’d be forced out at 10 years without promoting. 0-6 is plausible to ride out forever without being promoted to General/Admiral ranks.

Thread Info